Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Don't do it. I am not a fan of the first come first serve sites. We went to the Hershey one, nice place, but it was tough finding a spot for my 42 5th wheel. There was small campers in the larger spots.

AGFazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
It won't cost you to try it.

We have been Thousand Trails members for about six years and we have averaged about 20 nights a year in the system. Some of our friends spend a lot more than that. We camp a lot of other places also, but when we are in an area where one of the Thousand Trails preserves is available we give it a try. Some of the campgrounds are better than others and I believe it has more to do with the local management than the corporate parent. We live in the Houston area and have a good one just about an hour and a half from us. We camp there several times a year.

Their campgrounds tend to be more roomy than a lot of the other places we stay and tend you have a lot of space without campsites where you can just roam and we enjoy that. Kind of like state parks.

You have some very good ones in your area. We have camped at Hershey and Gettysburg Farm in Pennsylvania and Chesapeake just in Virginia. Each of them was different from the others, but we found them to our liking. He haven't camped at the Williamsburg one, but we have driven though it. It seemed a bit cramped.

It is not for everyone, but I assure you there are a lot of happy Thousand Trails members. My advice is that you not go on a holiday weekend your first time you give it a chance.

Good luck and happy camping whatever you decide.

2013 Columbus 320RS
2001 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Allison Trans
2013 - 62 nights camped
2014 - 120 nights camped
2015 - 61 nights camped
2016 - still counting
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
If you don't like to be pestered don't ever enter to win anything at an RV show.
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Rustic and Remote Campgrounds

My wife and I were off-and-on members for a decade. We're now off because our camping habits changed. The membership was worth it when we wheeled around a lot, but we are now mostly traveling between SC and MT. On a $/night basis, we didn't figure it was worth the annual fee unless we camped with TT 20+ nights/year and we weren't - the TT campgrounds aren't located along our route. Other thoughts.

1. TT generally does not assign a site to reservation. We're a 40' Class A towing a car, so, on arrival, we had to unhook and drive around looking for a space we could use. Sometimes what was available was pretty marginal. Remember, the campground has some number of spaces and there might be spaces left, but not big enough for your rig. Same for electrical service - if you've a 50A requirement, it might or might not be available.

2. If the sites are long enough, they're generally good-sized. Some exceptions, of course, most noticeably at the Las Vegas campground (spaces were so close that we could not extend our awnings).

3. If you're TV watchers, be prepared for limited viewing. We rarely had line-of-site for DirecTV and, because the campgrounds are very out in the sticks, local TV was often problematic. I don't remember ever having cable.

4. TT parks often claim to have WiFi, but it's only accessible in the area immediately adjacent to the office/community center. Always limited bandwidth, too, so it can be sloooowww.

5. Always check to see how close the park is to where you want to go. For example, the TT park which says it's in Leavenworth, WA (the tourist "destination") is really close to 1/2 an hour away.

Just one man's humble opinion.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
Can Be a Good Value

We didn't get our RV and TT membership until I retired because we wouldn't get our money's worth while working. We have stayed at 9 TT parks in 5 states in the past10 months, including some in your zone. We have also saved money in Encore parks using our TT rate. For us it is a great value because we are full-timing. We read the reviews and choose the better option when multiple parks meet our needs and go in with realistic expectations. In addition to reading before going anywhere, I recommend the Facebook group Thousand Trails (Outdoor World) -- The Good AND the Bad. In addition to browsing the page you can search for specific campgrounds or topics. You should make the most of your free year to decide ahead of the anniversary date whether or not it meets your needs.
Swift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
.......You should make the most of your free year to decide ahead of the anniversary date whether or not it meets your needs.
From what I read further up in this thread you don't get to decide, they do it for you.
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
Read this coming from a previous weekender and 42'/50amp fifth wheel. Thousand Trails is a tough subject.

The parks are generally somewhere between "oh, eww" to "fair" to "wow, that's really nice". When I stay at Thousand Trails parks, the biggest thing that I keep in mind is the price. Even before fulltiming, my per-night cost at Thousand Trails was WAY cheaper than my per-night cost anywhere else. My yearly dues are equivalent to 2 weeks (or less, depending on where I'm going) of camping elsewhere.

Yes, it's first come first served. However, manage your expectations- 50amp is nice not needed. Same with sewer. (For sewer, the nice part about the parks in the east is that they offer honeywagon service for free and some parks will lend a sewer tote to guests.)

Some, but not all, parks charge extra for being on a 50amp site (even if you're in a 30amp rig!).

On a zone pass, after 30 nights of camping, you get charged $3/night.

I have a few posts that might be helpful for you:

#1. Thousand Trails Overview | Learn To RV

#2. Is Thousand Trails Right for You? | Learn To RV

#3. If you decide against TT, here are some alternatives: Various Memberships for the Weekender and Fulltimer | Learn To RV

#4. I've also reviewed a handful of parks that I've stayed at: thousand trails | Learn To RV
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
I say don"t do it. Been there, was not worth the cost or the headache of trying to untangle from them.
If you decide to belong, read the fine print carefully, very carefully.
Travel safe
2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
We had the membership for a year and under the right circumstances we would purchase another year.

There were several TT campgrounds in our area so we felt is would work out.
What we learned is that you can reserve a site at the park. However, you cannot reserve a 50 amp site or a site with sewer. They only guarantee you a site, not the amenities. If you don't travel on the crowded times, they usually had sites we wanted. Sometimes they didn't.

You need to be sure you like the parks in your area or that they are where you will be traveling. We also found that they may be in the city we want but not the area in the city. Sometimes there were other fee parks more convenient and inexpensive.

So just be sure you understand the restrictions before you put any money into it.
modem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
Is the Surveyor 33rlt same as the salem 336rlt 5er. Seems this model is a pretty rare bird

pacin is offline   Reply With Quote