Old 09-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Question Thousand Trails Input Needed

Hello everyone! My husband and I just purchased our first camper - a Forest River Surveyor 33RLTS. We are very excited! The dealership that we purchased from offered a free 1 year membership to Thousand Trails - with 30 nights of free camping. I was just reading, looking for a site and I came across something I did not realize...

"... outfitted with electric and water hookups, a picnic table and barbecue grill. Many campgrounds also offer full hookups with sewer and cable service, 50 amp electrical service, graveled sites and pull thru access*. All Thousand Trails campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis so make plans to arrive early to select your perfect site. *RV site features vary by campground."

This makes me crazy nervous. We need a 50 amp, full hookup site. Also, we're 37 feet long and would love a pull through, but definitely need a larger, back-in site (we also have 3 slide outs).

Has anyone here been a Thousand Trails member that could give me advice on how this has worked? Are most of the sites upgraded to 50 amps? We registered for the Northeast region and are located in Pennsylvania - staying close to home currently until we get more comfortable!

Much appreciated!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
King of the Road

I just signed up recently as it looks to be a good deal for me. I have 30amp 5th wheel so the 50 amp issue is a non-issue for me. However, it is my understanding that most of the Thousand trials parks have both available, but you will have to check

I just got the deal for 2 zones for the price of one, it is on until Sep 8th. Northwest and Southwest. Southwest is not that good for me as most of their parks are in California, and since I will have my rifles and a couple of handguns traveling with me most of the time, the hassle would not be worth the stay. Neither my rifles nor my generator are California compliant

2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

Thousand Trails has both 30 & 50 amp sites available, most have a up charge for 50 amp. Our coach is also 50 amp but can survive on 30, just have to learn power management. Most of the TT parks are older parks in need of upgrading, some are in the process all be it slow. To buy a new membership I do not think it is worth the cost to have received one handed down it was a bargain, try it and see for your self.
I see you said you are from Pa. The nicest and most crowded TT park is Hershey but if the membership includes the Out Door World parks The Farm at Gettysburg and Timothy Lake South are also nice parks.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Thousand Trails has both 30 & 50 amp sites available, most have a up charge for 50 amp. Our coach is also 50 amp but can survive on 30, just have to learn power management. Most of the TT parks are older parks in need of upgrading, some are in the process all be it slow. To buy a new membership I do not think it is worth the cost to have received one handed down it was a bargain, try it and see for your self.
I see you said you are from Pa. The nicest and most crowded TT park is Hershey but if the membership includes the Out Door World parks The Farm at Gettysburg and Timothy Lake South are also nice parks.
It may be a good deal for some but all I know the one near me is not that good its really run down and needs a lot of work, where you plug your trailer in for us one time is in a hole and filled with water I had to beg to get moved to another site for it was not safe and should be closed off till ground around the pedestal was filled in and made higher so water would run off and not collect at the pedestal
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
Masterchip

I have been a member since 1979 and have used TT extensively from east to west and north to south. Yes the campgrounds are old and some are not well kept. This is all because of Equity Lifestyles, the parent owner. TT use to be private, family oriented, and plenty to do for children. Not so anymore. Anyone can visit TT today. Very Sad! Most sites are water and electric and some have sewer. But very few. Some parks have Wi-Fi. No cable. Best to add Passport America ($44.00?yr) to your TT membership. You will get more for your buck and enjoy having more opportunities. If you are looking for luxury in the RV world good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

We don't have TT membership but know a lot of owners who do. All
we ever hear is complaints. Our advice, enjoy your free one year membership & try and visit as many parks as you can. Then when
renewal time rolls around go to Camping World and get Passport America
for $39 / year. Lists around 2000 CG's country wide and comes with
a CG directory. They offer 50% off the normal rate. We usually pay
$15 to $25 per night.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

We got the same deal 2 years ago when we bought out MH....would agree the experience varies by park. We have a 50 amp coach, but have used the50 to 30 dogbone when we couldn't find a 50 amp site at TT, which was most of the time. We used perhaps 10 nights the first year and had an okay time. What was hard is we are weekend campers, and if you show up late on a Friday, it can be very challenging to find a site as its all first come first serve....if someone with ano Rpod wants a long site and they get there first, you get stuck with what's left. If you can go Thurs it seemed to be easier, or early Friday in my experience
When it was due to expire, they offered us a 2nd year for $299, and for what we had used the previous year,this was a good price per night. When. It came due for year three, it was $545 +$25, no discounts. So we cancelled our membership as we would only use about 10 nights and that's an expensive per night cost compared to our state parks. And the cancellation process was a giant pain in the rear, had to do everything in writing and the process took over a month, with multiple follow ups.
So, for free I'd take it, but not sure I'd buy one again. For the few nights I want to use a TT. I can pay for the nights like any other non member.
Just our experience, lots of people really like them.
Garren
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Don't do it.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

I have a friend who purchased Thousand Island and he is very disappointed for all the reasons posted. Another one is Travel Resorts of America. Same problem....old campgrounds, no sewer, no wifi and the campground we stayed at had no over the air reception. Makes for a very boring evening after the fire goes out.

Luckily we had a coupon for a free week. We left after the 2nd night and went to another campground that has the amenities we like/want.

I have used Passport and liked it. I currently have Good Sams and KOA. Both offer good campgrounds. Some are better than others but for the most part you will know what you're getting before booking/arriving.
Days Camping (2015) - 23
Days Camping (2014) - 15
talldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #10

We also got the one year free deal. After we looked at their available sites in the northeast, we were not interested. We were told that we needed to start our free one year membership but never did. They called us relentlessly and we kept telling them we were not interested as their sites didn't interest us. After one year, they sent us a BILL stating that we were overdue paying our dues and the dues and a penalty were due. ONE more phone call with me SCREAMING that WE ARE NOT INTERESTED and NEVER INITIATED OUR TRIAL MEMBERSHIP finally got them to leave us alone. The person on the phone could not understand why I was screaming.

Not that TT doesn't work well for others, but not for us and they were pests.