Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #41
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
In the video it says it's not wood but maybe aluminum
My bad...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #42

If you look at the shower picture there is an electric on demand water heater on the wall. It looks like an electric counter to stove in the kitchen. This is why there are no propane tanks it is an electric trailer. All the light fixtures are most likely 120 volt eliminating the need of a converter. If the unit has electric brakes you will need a battery as a back up. If the braking system is hydraulic then no battery needed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #43
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
BTW, Texas and southern Oklahoma are both closed! All sites are taken!
We still have a few spaces down here in sunny Yuma, AZ...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I am from Canada. I appreciated this post. Thanks and have a great day!
Hello from Ontario, I also appreciated the post.

My daughter is in Victoria, but she says she'd rather live in Sooke.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you look at the shower picture there is an electric on demand water heater on the wall. It looks like an electric counter to stove in the kitchen. This is why there are no propane tanks it is an electric trailer. All the light fixtures are most likely 120 volt eliminating the need of a converter. If the unit has electric brakes you will need a battery as a back up. If the braking system is hydraulic then no battery needed.

I don’t know how this picture is going to look attached to the post. But, the light switch definitely looks like a residential 120v light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8552.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	193885

Good call that it’s likely an all-electric rig.

I’ll have to look under it and see what I can see at the wheels.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #46
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

While this is a cool little trailer...it is not a Tiny House.

This is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aprils-tiny-house-1-600x400.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	193886   Click image for larger version

Name:	TinyHouse.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	193887  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain View Post
I simply cannot imagine an individual that would be a Forest River member would STILL take the time and effort to photograph and post pictures of a piece of China trash. I believe "Buy American" is quickly losing purchase.
"I simply cannot imagine" that someone would be so shortsighted as to fail to grasp the import of such a revolutionary new product that has entered the RV industry.

Or so crass as to criticize someone from sharing pictures of that product on an informative forum such as this.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
Hello from Ontario, I also appreciated the post.

My daughter is in Victoria, but she says she'd rather live in Sooke.

Cheers

I am originally a west coast boy. We moved to sooke 3 years ago after living in Ontario (Milton the. Stoney Creek) for 15 years. We love it here.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I am from Canada. I appreciated this post. Thanks and have a great day!
I am also from Canada and I appreciate this post too. Cheers and y'all have a great RV'ing 2019.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #50

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Thanks Doug for the Post! The guy throwing stones left.

Many have mentioned the US Built RVs will be in trouble once mass produced models arrive from China. This doesn't look like a threat however just a matter of time till , as Tim (Cowracer) already mentioned , they build what is requested at a quality point that meets the person purchasing the product.

In my hometown Hymer from Germany bought Roadtrek Camper Vans a Canadian Company. Last summer Thor bought Hymer. So in this takeover Thor has a foothold in Europe with Canadian Manufacturing and becomes a multinational RV Company. How long before Forest River China or FRK (Forest River Korea) opens up?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #51

another article I read stated that there are 59 Chinese RV manufacturers. The RV lifestyle is catching on in China for the Chinese wishing to sightsee places. Most of the campgrounds there have no hookups and they are quickly being upgraded to support this. I found that interesting as well as I had no idea there were that many RV manufacturers there.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #52

Maybe its time the US builders of RVs wake up or the Chinese will start building plants here to beat tariffs and take over the industry just like the Japanese car makers did to the US car builders!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Maybe its time the US builders of RVs wake up or the Chinese will start building plants here to beat tariffs and take over the industry just like the Japanese car makers did to the US car builders!
You got that right !!!! Pretty soon travel trailers by Samsung lol

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #54
Broken Toe

Quote:
One could argue that while the Japanese did adversely affect the US domestic auto industry, at the same time it made it better.

US cars in the 60-70's were junk. Build quality was about what we deal with in RV's today. Dad had a 74 Chevy Impala wagon that rolled over the odometer and you'd have thought they would put a picture in the paper of it. Neighbors actually came out to look at the odometer to see it reading back to zeros. It was a huge deal and very nearly unheard of with a US made car.

Nowadays, 80,000 seems to qualify as "low Miles" for a used car in most peoples minds. I have 222k on the truck and had 217k on the Rav4. I fully expect 200k out of the new GMC Terrain. the US can make cars as good as anyone else in the world. They only got there because the Japanese were kicking their butts on quality.

I wouln't say the Japanese "took over" the US auto industry, but it sure changed it. For my money, it was for the better. It's not too far to think that China could do the same with the US RV industry.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
One could argue that while the Japanese did adversely affect the US domestic auto industry, at the same time it made it better.

US cars in the 60-70's were junk. Build quality was about what we deal with in RV's today. Dad had a 74 Chevy Impala wagon that rolled over the odometer and you'd have thought they would put a picture in the paper of it. Neighbors actually came out to look at the odometer to see it reading back to zeros. It was a huge deal and very nearly unheard of with a US made car.

Nowadays, 80,000 seems to qualify as "low Miles" for a used car in most peoples minds. I have 222k on the truck and had 217k on the Rav4. I fully expect 200k out of the new GMC Terrain. the US can make cars as good as anyone else in the world. They only got there because the Japanese were kicking their butts on quality.

I wouln't say the Japanese "took over" the US auto industry, but it sure changed it. For my money, it was for the better. It's not too far to think that China could do the same with the US RV industry.

Tim
Good points.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #56

Just think back to Datson! They were such a piece of junk, the company had to change the name. I remember the slang name for imports from Japan in the late 60s early 70s. US cars got really bad starting in 74. That's when they went down hill fast.
60s and early 70s Japan imports were not much better than any where else. They were good at copying US manufacturers. They really didn't get better until the 90s. They looked better in the 80s compared to what the US was building but not that much better. You can't compare now to the 60s and 70s as far as vehicles go. Apples and oranges!
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Just think back to Datson! They were such a piece of junk, the company had to change the name. I remember the slang name for imports from Japan it the late 60s early 70s. US cars got really bad starting in 74. That's when they went down hill fast.
Changed to the parent company name of Nissan.... I had a Datsun. The coolest thing about that car was it had a radio that could scan for stations.

The quality of many Japanese imports back then was a bit crappy. They had not figured out what Americans liked in a car. We as a country did not have the same wants/needs as the typical Japanese citizen had back then. But the oil embargo in the 70s changed that as people suddenly wanted gas sippers instead of the guzzlers that the US cars were at the time.
Would be interesting if the RV industry could have a similar Renaissance, but don't know what kind of embargo would push that along though.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #58

Yes. I find it funny how people easily forget or were not born then to see how it really was. Since I was born in the 40s, I have seen and lived through quite a lot of changes, good/bad.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #59
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don’t know how this picture is going to look attached to the post. But, the light switch definitely looks like a residential 120v light.

Attachment 193885

Good call that it’s likely an all-electric rig.

I’ll have to look under it and see what I can see at the wheels.
those look like 20 Amp outlets too. this is a really cool idea! I travel all over, and always get electric sites. no need for an inverter or converter, make it light enough and it may not even need brakes, but you could just put surge brakes on it and call it a day. toss in an electric range, heater, and on demand hot water, Ill bet that this would be a BIG seller, and have a slight advantage in the pricing as well. just plug it in and everything is ready to go. think of the simplified trouble shooting. no gas to worry about or 12v (except marking lights).
Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #60

Cars are used every day. I think that's a big part of it. In most places in the US, they aren't a luxury item, they're a necessity. RV's, on the other hand are nothing more than a luxury for 99.9% of owners. Most sit in storage lots or get used once or twice a year at most.

There are basically 3 companies making every RV, and the branding is insane. New brands come and go quickly in some cases and I believe this is done on purpose. QC is an issue? Change the name.

The only two ways I see the product improving are outside competition, or regulation. I'd much rather some innovative ideas from outside force changes rather than the government.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer