Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
There is a pecking order with the granola-eating tiny-house crowd with 'Off-Grid, composting toilet, sustainable tiny house on trailer' being at the top and normal home owner at the bottom end. Living in a RV is just above standard home ownership but still hugely looked down on, unless its a vintage airstream that you gutted and redid. Then it moves up a level or two. A lot of what you see them do is to impress their fellow tiny home devotees and not for real and practical reasons. The trend now seems to be staying under 200 square feet. I've seen where people looked at a nice 350 sqft model and complained "it too big". For what? An Keebler Elf? Like any movement, a lot of people have to prove they are more dedicated to it than the rest, and the best way to prove you are a more hard-core tiny houser is to have a smaller square footage than the next guy.

We watch those shows for ideas on our 16x16 cabin. What kills me is the idiots who have 2 or 3 kids and they want to live full time in 165 square feet. They all say the EXACT same thing "we want our lives to be more about experiences than possessions". Well guess what there SunflowerMoonbeam? you need to have some possessions to have your experiences with. I truly wish they would re-vist some of those people after a year and see how peachy that 'tiny house lifestyle' really is.

Tim
Agree with most of the post. I have actually stopped viewing the show due to how "ridiculous" some of their comments appear.
I can fully understand why some want to downsize.

However, I also would love to see follow ups with these people who are having or have kids a year or two later and see if some are still loving the small house. And also find out if they moved, did they sell the little house on the prairie for a profit or a lose. But I doubt that will ever happen.

Only episode I saw that made some sense was the guy and gal who converted the old shorty school bus and were traveling around the US pulling it with, I believe, a Ford F250 diesel.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #22

If you don't want to travel with it, just buy a Dierks building and live in it.

Heck, if I was single I'd have a 9 car garage, a travel trailer, and a Dierks building for a house.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #23

Yeah, that was the idea.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #24
Canadian Member

If you're single or a couple with no kids, have at it, but I agree that a tiny house is completely impractical once you have children.

Every time I watch one of those shows I ask why they don't just buy a 4 season park model or at least borrow from RV technology and add a slideout! I really doubt that they'll ever move them and they always have to park it on a friend or family member's lot. They never show you how they deal with utilities and water/sewer hookups.

I hope these tiny homes are not a sign of what Millenials will need to do to actually own a home. I saw one that was a boat house docked in a major city with ridiculous house prices.

Still, I agree that these folks can be quite inventive for use of small spaces and repurposing things like cargo boxes. It's just not for me.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
What can you really say.. It's the boob tube.

Agreed. As far as idiots., soften that They have put eyes expectations of what will happen.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #26

Those "Millennials" maybe "MINIONS"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a0701f37684ecb4b257285fad9f5db0.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	127697  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Calling the folks that choose the Tiny House lifestyle "Idiots" is not cool or grownup. I've yet to see anyone on the show call folks that live in RV's
petty names. It's all about what makes you happy and fulfills your life. JMHO.

well...I'm not a 'cool' person, and my wife keeps telling me I need to grow up, so I guess you made your point.

You won't see them on the show, but I am on a tiny house forum and you should see some of the snide comments that I have to put up with because mine is a on-the-grid weekend house that don't live in full time. It's like I am some kind of traitor to cause or something.

It's almost as bad as a complete stranger feeling that its their responsibility to upbraid you over your choice of description of a certain group of people.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #28

Two wrongs don't make a right. Not preaching, I just try to treat as I would like to be treated. JMHO.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #29
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. Not preaching, I just try to treat as I would like to be treated. JMHO.
yes, you are in fact preaching. You have chosen to interject your opinion into my behavior by saying that something I am saying is wrong or at the very least 'not what you would do'. I already have a wife, and I have completed elementary school, so I'm pretty much full up as far as having people in my life that think its ok to correct me.

I'm not in the habit of explaining myself to strangers, but in your case, I'll make an exception... I did not throw "idiot" out casually, nor did I throw that out as a blanket to cover all those who live the tiny home lifestyle. Just those who obviously sacrifice the comfort and wellbeing of their family just they can have a smug sense of self-satisfaction by joining the tiny house fad. I reiterate that I firmly believe that anyone who choose to raise 2 or 3 (or more) kids in a tiny house is a Idiot of the highest caliber.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #30

😂😂😂. Not buying it.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #31

If I was a gypsy... fa la la la.............lol
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #32

The playground arguing really does add to the discussion now doesn't it.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
yes, you are in fact preaching. You have chosen to interject your opinion into my behavior by saying that something I am saying is wrong or at the very least 'not what you would do'. I already have a wife, and I have completed elementary school, so I'm pretty much full up as far as having people in my life that think its ok to correct me.

I'm not in the habit of explaining myself to strangers, but in your case, I'll make an exception... I did not throw "idiot" out casually, nor did I throw that out as a blanket to cover all those who live the tiny home lifestyle. Just those who obviously sacrifice the comfort and wellbeing of their family just they can have a smug sense of self-satisfaction by joining the tiny house fad. I reiterate that I firmly believe that anyone who choose to raise 2 or 3 (or more) kids in a tiny house is a Idiot of the highest caliber.

Tim

Well said!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:37 AM   #34

Tiny houses can be space efficient. Most I have seen are ridiculously expensive with one being $300 per sq ft.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #35

I love the show and the tiny house movement. From what I have seen, most of these are much better built than any RV/camper. But I agree, they are not easily moved but I don't think the owners intend to use them like a travel trailer. They intend to move them as they switch cities for jobs or whatever. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that many of them do end up parking it on their parents or friends land. Anyone can save money if they have someone else footing the bill for them. But if their parents or friends are ok with it, that is all that matters.

I personally would love to full time in my class C, or even a tiny home and keep my RV for travel. I have heard that you spend the first half of your life accumulating things and the last half getting rid of them.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #36

saw an episode yesterday that the builder took a lot of ideas from travel trailers it actually had 2 slides! used an RV fridge and stove and cooktop also had a 30 gallon (i think) Black tank, the slides really added a lot of room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forest River Forums mobile app
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #37

We have been discussing the concept of Tiny House living if/when we will ever decide FT RV is done.
Won't be for traveling parked on our own semi developed land.
Of the many reasons why we love the concept is easier to keep & clean. Currently own a 115 year old house to be able to spend the last year's of my life NOT doing major repairs would be novel. By building our own we would know the quality.
RV aspects we'd incorporate would be awnings, furniture that doubles as beds/storage, outside entrance to bathroom. As well as a large kitchen pass thru to deck.
Deck area double square footage of house for entertaining ... with a wheelchair ramp lol.
Then again we may never come in from our grand adventure.
BlissHunters is offline   Reply With Quote