Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #1

Tire Blow out

All I can say is wow! Lost a tread on a tire yesterday while traveling on the interstate and what damage. Ripped open the floor on the slide out, so now there is a big hole in the floor. Ripped out the slide out wires to the motor, had to splice them back together. Also ripped out the electrical wires to one of the outlets. I have a Surveyor SV291 (2006). Instead of the tin wheel well, you would think they would put in a steal liner.
I am very unhappy with my Surveyor. The main entrance door leaked and rotted out the floor infront of it. Had to remove the door frame and reseal.
Do not know what to do with the floor or how to pull everything out to take out the rotted floor and replace.
Just wondering if anyone else had this experience and did anyone have insurance that covered the tire damage?
Thanks for the rant!
Kerry
kgrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

yes insurance should cover the tire damage
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

As a member of the "oh crap we lost a tire" club, I am sorry about your situation but know you are not alone. I lost mine after a whopping 230 miles on my new camper. We didn't do any damage like yours, but our dealer is still getting in touch with FR to explain the situation and see what they can do. This is where a good relationship with a reputable dealer comes in handy. They know who to talk to and how to take care of things right. Best wishes and keep us posted.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

document everything!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

so what is it about blow outs and campers????.........soooo many stores about blow outs!
Athens-M50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens-M50
so what is it about blow outs and campers????.........soooo many stores about blow outs!
Big dwellings, little bitty tires. Factor that with tire pressure, temp, miles, country of manufacturing and speeds. This means some of us go for Mr. Toads Wild Ride. It's like almost wrecking your brand new mountain bike flailing down a mountain out of control, if you make it out ok, you wanna tell somebody "whoa, did you see THAT!"
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

That's why I bought tire pressure monitors, as they also monitor tire temperatures. The temperature of yours likely went sky-high before the tread flew off.
TPMs might not be real cheap, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than a wrecked camper!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Proud Member

Tire Pressure Monitors

Hey Crocus, can you start a post and tell us about your TPM's? What did you buy? How do they work for you?
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Gary and Pam

Just got back home from a 1200 mile trip and the tires looked good at noon and three hours later when I arrived home three have air bubbles in the side wall near the rim. I would say it was a close call. Time for some Goodyear tires made in USA instead of the china junk original tires.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #10

Crocus is right! Doran.com they will ship it to you. I can't remember the cost ($300) for sure but they work great. I bought them for my travel trailer but kept them to install on my new motorhome. They monitor temperature rise, pressure and blowout. Blowout is rare, temp should keep pressure within 10% of rated pressure. These units sometimes give false readings. On two occasions I stopped because the monitor sent a warning. Nothing wrong but I would rather stop and check than run and experience a catastrophic failure costing megabucks!
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #11

Tire Blow out

We blew out a tire on the way home from the RV dealer......Just bought the trailer and were on our way home, blew out a tire and it ripped out some of the black weather proofing fabric under the trailer and broke some trim around the wheel well. Was just trying to figure out what that black stuff is called. Was looking to buy some to repair the spot but we don't know what to look for.
Tom Litzner is offline   Reply With Quote