Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Installed my 507 system today as well, it seems to be working well, especially after I aired up all the tires (which were all a little low.)

Next question: does it seem to be a good idea to just take the sensors off when the RV is parked? From what I can tell from the instructions, the sensors won't send any data if they read 0 psi. So if you take them off, store them in the truck, and only put them on when you're ready to roll, it seems like it would extend the battery life immensely. So I think I'll skip the anti-theft locks and just put them on before I go somewhere, then take them off when I get there so they don't grow legs. Anyone do it this way, or is there a flaw in my logic?
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Cajun,
Do you have aluminum or steel wheels on the front of your coach?
Tom
__________________

__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
I have the steel wheels.
__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
Member
 
Tx_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 65
I just got the 507 system also, I plan to leave the sensors off until I am ready to roll. I store my unit in a storage lot so I would rather not have them come up missing.
__________________
2015 Thunderbolt XLR 340X12HP
2011 Ford F250, 6.7, CC, SB with B&W Companion Slider

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Installed my 507 system today as well, it seems to be working well, especially after I aired up all the tires (which were all a little low.)

Next question: does it seem to be a good idea to just take the sensors off when the RV is parked? From what I can tell from the instructions, the sensors won't send any data if they read 0 psi. So if you take them off, store them in the truck, and only put them on when you're ready to roll, it seems like it would extend the battery life immensely. So I think I'll skip the anti-theft locks and just put them on before I go somewhere, then take them off when I get there so they don't grow legs. Anyone do it this way, or is there a flaw in my logic?
That will work, remember to mark them so they go back on the same tire. I have done that, I kept changing the wrong battery until I figured it out. My left front and right front where switched. It is true you will prolong the life, but the batteries are cheap on amazon or ebay. 1/3 the the price at walgreens if you can find them. Also those "O" rings will leak and it will get a green corrosion in them. If yours are the flow through. At Least mine did.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That will work, remember to mark them so they go back on the same tire. I have done that, I kept changing the wrong battery until I figured it out. My left front and right front where switched. It is true you will prolong the life, but the batteries are cheap on amazon or ebay. 1/3 the the price at walgreens if you can find them. Also those "O" rings will leak and it will get a green corrosion in them. If yours are the flow through. At Least mine did.
Thanks for the info. I imagine the corrosion comes from the moisture in the compressed air. I wonder if it would be worth it to open the battery compartment and smear some contact grease over the seal and battery area?
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,556
I replace the o-ring with each battery change.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Thanks for the info. I imagine the corrosion comes from the moisture in the compressed air. I wonder if it would be worth it to open the battery compartment and smear some contact grease over the seal and battery area?
Good point I never thought of that, thats not a bad idea, when I have to change the battery I use a little sand paper and contact cleaner, and reinstall them. might try that I'm sure it can't hurt it's were the little piece of spring metal is it just turns green, I know it has to be stopping contact on the edge of the battery. So maybe my "O" rings are good. I don't get water pouring out of them but I bet you right that is what is happening. But wouldn't that battery area be sealed? But still you have moisture on the bottom of the compartment that the battery is located in. Another trick that Mike from TST told me was to loosen the tire valve so it sticks up higher when depressed for a more constant reading. He said open it until you hear air then tighten back just til it stops. When the tire people put them in they screw them all the way down. I'm talking about the schrader valve itself.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I have the steel wheels.
So I guess you have the stainless steel wheel covers to deal with on the fronts. I could see where that would cause a problem.
Tom
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
I got it all together. Those were caps on the valve stems. I took them off, and the sensors screwed right in place. I'm good to go.
__________________

__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.