Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

Tire wear or mouse entry?

Scooting around on my trusty creeper armed with a flashlight, I found some interesting things under our 2017 Salem
RK27SS. First off, lots of dangling wires begging for cable ties. Also, a hole in the underbelly compliments of the mouse I caught inside the trailer. The next thing I found were holes in the underbelly fabric directly above both leading tires. Hope the photo comes through. Does the front tire bounce high enough to rub through the fabric? Or did a mouse sit atop the tire and chew his way in? In either case, the hole is a dandy entry point for Mr. & Mrs. Mouse. I suggest we all scoot around on creepers and inspect our undersides!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180423_172608.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169365
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Working at retired:D

Maybe the angle of the pic but it doesn’t look like there is enough clearance between tire and underbelly.
I don’t know the recommended or required clearance but the suspension will move up and down a few inches. Probably more with tandem axle.
I’m sure there are some on here that can tell you what clearance should be. My TT probably had 8-10 inches clearance.

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Ours has about 3.5 to 4 inches of clearance.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Site Team

I can't say whether it caused that hole or not, but there's definitely some tire rub going on there.

I'm with the others and maybe it's the angle of the shot, but it looks awful close in there.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
Scooting around on my trusty creeper armed with a flashlight, I found some interesting things under our 2017 Salem
RK27SS. First off, lots of dangling wires begging for cable ties. Also, a hole in the underbelly compliments of the mouse I caught inside the trailer. The next thing I found were holes in the underbelly fabric directly above both leading tires. Hope the photo comes through. Does the front tire bounce high enough to rub through the fabric? Or did a mouse sit atop the tire and chew his way in? In either case, the hole is a dandy entry point for Mr. & Mrs. Mouse. I suggest we all scoot around on creepers and inspect our undersides!
Your tires aren't bouncing that high...and I doubt a mouse chewed that hole.

I'm guessing your springs are flat and the trailer is riding low enough that the trailer is bottoming out on the tires.

Look at your leaf springs...if they look like the top two photos below, then your springs are flat and probably need to be replaced.

I went through this with my previous TT and it was barely two years old and turned out they were already flat when I bought it brand new.

Bottom two photos was when I discovered this happening to all four tires.

If you replace the springs...do them all, and upgrade to a heavier duty spring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LipAxleCurbside-IMG_3939.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	169436   Click image for larger version

Name:	LipAxleDriverside-IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	169437   Click image for larger version

Name:	TireRubBadGougedTire-IMG_3904.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	673.6 KB
ID:	169438   Click image for larger version

Name:	TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	169439  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Your tires aren't bouncing that high...and I doubt a mouse chewed that hole.

I'm guessing your springs are flat and the trailer is riding low enough that the trailer is bottoming out on the tires.

Look at your leaf springs...if they look like the top two photos below, then your springs are flat and probably need to be replaced.

I went through this with my previous TT and it was barely two years old and turned out they were already flat when I bought it brand new.

Bottom two photos was when I discovered this happening to all four tires.

If you replace the springs...do them all, and upgrade to a heavier duty spring!
Springs are good. Not even close to flat. I've got 2" clearance. I can feel a wireing run that causes the fabric to sag closer to the tire. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_114300.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	169441
Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

I'm covering the holes with Flex Tape.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #8

Also make sure none of the spring shackles have broken. Happened to us once out in the Black Hills. Someone stopped us as we were rolling thru the campground because they could hear the tire rubbing. Had to fix it at the campground before we could go any further. A $2.00 part had us stranded. After we got home I replaced all the shackles with hd ones and replaced bolts with wet bolts and brass bushings thanks to the knowledgeable people on this forum.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Springs are good. Not even close to flat. I've got 2" clearance. I can feel a wireing run that causes the fabric to sag closer to the tire. Attachment 169441
2"... well, that's not much.

Any suspension that is doing its job is going to move 2"

And, if you have some wiring under there that is in the area of the tire tread, I'd suggest moving it somehow. It is going to get ruined as the tire continues to make contact.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #10

Tire Clearance

When my 2014 Wildwood was just 3 years old, I had to replace my leaf springs. They were flat. I've since found that the "light" trailer empty weights are so close to the loaded weight, they will probably exceed the recommended weights once loaded with your normal gear. And, if dry camping, the extra weight of fresh water, plus grey and black water will definitely overload the trailer. Moral of the story....check your springs regularly and if they begin to sag, install heavier duty leafs.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
When my 2014 Wildwood was just 3 years old, I had to replace my leaf springs. They were flat. I've since found that the "light" trailer empty weights are so close to the loaded weight, they will probably exceed the recommended weights once loaded with your normal gear. And, if dry camping, the extra weight of fresh water, plus grey and black water will definitely overload the trailer. Moral of the story....check your springs regularly and if they begin to sag, install heavier duty leafs.
This is definitely something to watch for, but not all are this way. Last September I bought a Wildwood XLite 201BHXL that has over 3k CCC (more CCC than many FW TH's!). I won't buy anything that doesn't have close to 2K or more. Never seen a single axle rig that has sufficient CCC to suit me, though I'm sure there may be some out there.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Springs are good. Not even close to flat. I've got 2" clearance. I can feel a wireing run that causes the fabric to sag closer to the tire. Attachment 169441
You should have at least 5-6 inches...not 2 inches.

Something is going on with that trailer...

I doubt it is that wire run causing this...
Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Since your springs are not flat, then consider the Mfg. put oversize tires on your trailer.

It could be a Mfg. mistake.

It could be a design error.

Whatever the reason, it must be fixed or more damage will result.

Consider a lift kit for your trailer. 2" lift?

Search Google for "Trailer lift/lowering blocks"
Old 04-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

I just went out and checked my clearance...

I have four inches (of clearance, that is ), although I did recently get newer, bigger tires which added about an inch in tire height.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #15

Indeed!

Quote:
RK27SS. First off, lots of dangling wires begging for cable ties. Also, a hole in the underbelly compliments of the mouse I caught inside the trailer. The next thing I found were holes in the underbelly fabric directly above both leading tires. Hope the photo comes through. Does the front tire bounce high enough to rub through the fabric? Or did a mouse sit atop the tire and chew his way in? In either case, the hole is a dandy entry point for Mr. & Mrs. Mouse. I suggest we all scoot around on creepers and inspect our undersides!Attachment 169365
Always a good idea to go under every so often. Wish I could do it with a creeper but the coarse crushed rock (gravel) is way too bumpy and sharp (ouch) for those tiny casters. Had to just go in crawling on my back.

I did find the mice ingress port on the underside membrane and closed it with Gorilla Tape. And I wrapped steel wool+cable ties around all wiring and plumbing ports near the membrane to prevent . I also found and removed a half-dozen paper-wasp nests by grasping them with my hands. Only one was still occupied (ouch again).

By doing this I also learned where the plumbing connections were, where the sensors on the gray and black tanks were, where the battery-to-converter connections were routed, etc. all of which have been useful.

People ask why I change my own oil, and it's not for the money. It's seeing that bit of oil from the transmission or differential before it runs dry, those drops of brake fluid on the inside of the tire, etc. Do you think the quickie place would notice--or tell you? Not to mention the tire that's wearing badly or the brake pads that are due for swapping.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Looks like the fabric/plastic is sagging down and needs to be screwed up tight against the flooring or framework.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like the fabric/plastic is sagging down and needs to be screwed up tight against the flooring or framework.
I still think there is something more going on than that...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #18
D W

Quote:
RK27SS. First off, lots of dangling wires begging for cable ties. Also, a hole in the underbelly compliments of the mouse I caught inside the trailer. The next thing I found were holes in the underbelly fabric directly above both leading tires. Hope the photo comes through. Does the front tire bounce high enough to rub through the fabric? Or did a mouse sit atop the tire and chew his way in? In either case, the hole is a dandy entry point for Mr. & Mrs. Mouse. I suggest we all scoot around on creepers and inspect our undersides!Attachment 169365
WAY TOO CLOSE! Strongly suggest you check your springs for flattening. I wouldn't think that a 2017 model would have flattened springs already. Has your rig been scaled? You may be overloaded on your axles.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I wouldn't think that a 2017 model would have flattened springs already.
My previous 2013 TT came from the factory with underrated axles and flat springs.

I didn't know about that kind of stuff then...

But I sure do now!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #20

doubtful any 'mouse' is involved... they probably would have a hard time chewing thru the wood flooring.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire