Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
There is a lot of good information here.

But realize that you hear the horror stories and few of the good. Our camper had Westlake China made tires and I have no complaints. They have lasted 5 plus years with no issues but with all trailer tires it is time for new ones.

Other than the advice given in other posts a TMS system is a great idea.

I would say do not believe everything that you read on the internet, as many of the tire failures are road hazards and lack of maintenance but of course not all.

I do believe this..... all of the camper manufacturers use tires and axles that are too close to the load capacity of the trailer. Also if you have not..... get your rig weighed so that you know where you are weight wise.......

I own 6 trailers 4 are heavy, all but one have China made tires. ...... none of the 16 China made tires have failed to date.

Good Luck!!

Thank you for your input,I appreciate it.
PharrOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I would start at Goodyear dot com trailer tires... put in your size and see what they offer in the Endurance line... USA made, higher speed rating then most every other trailer tire... some rebates offered also... lots of people jumped on the Endurance bandwagon in the past couple of months... all based on Goodyear making these tires in the USA and upping the ante by hopefully producing a superior trailer tire... but only time will tell...

I was told by the Goodyear dealer in my town that they quit handling the Endurance because they were having too many problems with them. He recommended the Carlisle HD said they sold a lot of them and no issues.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharrOut View Post
I was told by the Goodyear dealer in my town that they quit handling the Endurance because they were having too many problems with them. He recommended the Carlisle HD said they sold a lot of them and no issues.
Having spent a career in the tire industry I'd wager he's not having actual problems with the Endurance tires as much as he's having a problem with a lower profit margin on the Goodyear's versus the Carlisle's.

Is he an "independent" Goodyear dealer or this a Company Store telling you this. The fact they offer Carlisle's is kind of pointing to "independent".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Having spent a career in the tire industry I'd wager he's not having actual problems with the Endurance tires as much as he's having a problem with a lower profit margin on the Goodyear's versus the Carlisle's.

Is he an "independent" Goodyear dealer or this a Company Store telling you this. The fact they offer Carlisle's is kind of pointing to "independent".

He may be independent,all I know is it's a Goodyear tire store as far as his profit margin on any given tire I wouldn't know. I bought the Carlisle and I guess time will tell if I made a mistake. After researching and reading a lot of reviews I've come to the conclusion that a lot of tire failures are due to poor maintenance like improper inflation and overload. jmho
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #25

I googled Endurance problems the other day and found one...I wasn't sure it wasn't Marathon because of the date, but it said Endurance. Lady said there was a bulge on the sidewall after getting home.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharrOut View Post
He may be independent,all I know is it's a Goodyear tire store as far as his profit margin on any given tire I wouldn't know. I bought the Carlisle and I guess time will tell if I made a mistake. After researching and reading a lot of reviews I've come to the conclusion that a lot of tire failures are due to poor maintenance like improper inflation and overload. jmho
As they say "you nailed it". The root cause of most tire failures other than the obvious accident or road hazard is HEAT. Heat from under-inflation or speed exceeding the design speed for the tire (causing heat).

The best insurance policy one can have for their tires is a good, accurate, pressure gauge. Check your tires before hitting the road. Cold Inflation Pressure means for tires that haven't been driven on yet that day.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #27

Quote:
I went to my local Goodyear dealer that I have been buying tires from for 20 years... when I asked them to price the Endurance tire he gave me a written quote that was nearly $150 higher (for 4 tires mounted and balanced) then what I had seen on the goodyear dot com web site... when I questioned the pricing he looked again and said he could not go any cheaper but sure wanted me to buy Hercules trailer tires for about 60% of the cost of the Endurance tire.

I went home and ordered off the goodyear website and had them shipped to the local goodyear corporate store about 15 miles further down the road to have them mounted and balanced and got a $50 gift card to boot. Goodyear corporate stores ONLY sell Goodyear tires I suppose.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #28

Quote:
but sure wanted me to buy Hercules trailer tires for about 60% of the cost of the Endurance tire.
Good thing you didn't. I had 4 Hercules tires develop huge bubbles after 4 years of service on a boat trailer with a LOT of weight margin.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #29

Quote:
I went to my local Goodyear dealer that I have been buying tires from for 20 years... when I asked them to price the Endurance tire he gave me a written quote that was nearly $150 higher (for 4 tires mounted and balanced) then what I had seen on the goodyear dot com web site... when I questioned the pricing he looked again and said he could not go any cheaper but sure wanted me to buy Hercules trailer tires for about 60% of the cost of the Endurance tire.

I went home and ordered off the goodyear website and had them shipped to the local goodyear corporate store about 15 miles further down the road to have them mounted and balanced and got a $50 gift card to boot. Goodyear corporate stores ONLY sell Goodyear tires I suppose.

I was mistaken on the bad press for Enduros,the tire guy thought I was talking about Marathons,he's hard of hearing and I can relate to that. I ended up buying the Carlisle HD's right or wrong time will tell,I will say this,really like the way the camper pulled compared to the tires that were on it.

Tags
tire, tires