Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

tires

Good morning!. The tires on our trailor were maunufactured in 2003 and I'm going to replace them all this spring. The tires on the trailor are Generals and I have had a couple of incidents (blow out and bad valve stem) with them since we bought the trailor in October of 07. They still have plenty of tread left on them but from what I've read it's time to replace them. Is any one out there running Generals on their equipment and what might you think about them or any other recommendations would be appreciated? Thanks in advance for any input.

2004 Cherokee Lite 275L 5er

johnthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Generals seem to be OK but not too common. A lot of folks like Goodyear Marathons.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Ask 1,000 people and you'll get 1,000 different opinions on tires. And many of those opinions are "dearly held". People talk about "junk" non-US tires. I don't buy that view in general. We've towed thousands of miles on Goodyear Marathons and Carlisles without a single problem. You can't help road hazard problems. But, balance the load across your tandem axles, inflate to maximum tire pressure for your load range, stick to the 65 mph speed rating on the ST tires, don't overload your trailer (tires), buy fresh tires, you should be fine.

I think we are going to go with a tire pressure monitor system. I suspect many blowouts that blame the tires are in fact due to road hazard or overheating (too much speed or load; too little air pressure or some combination thereof). I worry about deflation due to road hazard, not knowing, and then having the tire shred before you realize there is a problem. I rather doubt that you would see or feel a problem until it was too late.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You can't help road hazard problems. But, balance the load across your tandem axles, inflate to maximum tire pressure for your load range, stick to the 65 mph speed rating on the ST tires, don't overload your trailer (tires), buy fresh tires, you should be fine.
Even though I haven't had a blowout, I do believe in that road hazard problem being bad on tires. Some roads are so littered with pot holes, you just can't avoid them, especially trying to swerve around them with a trailer in tow. I cringe ever time I get lost in 1 of those puppies. That just can't be good on tires, on either the TV or camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I think we are going to go with a tire pressure monitor system. I suspect many blowouts that blame the tires are in fact due to road hazard or overheating (too much speed or load; too little air pressure or some combination thereof). I worry about deflation due to road hazard, not knowing, and then having the tire shred before you realize there is a problem. I rather doubt that you would see or feel a problem until it was too late.
That is my thoughts on a TPMS also. Maybe catch a tire going down before it totally unravels.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #5

I am not familiar with Generals for trailers not having used them. I have had Carlisles and two differnt makes from China. I have had 4-blowouts while traveling, three on one 900 mile trip. I have always checked pressures and tires for damage before each trip.

The Carlisles i did not run long because i got rid of the camper, but they seemed good.

The last tire had less than 5000 miles on it and the only thing that i noticed was trailer sway that righted itself therfore i kept going until someone told me the tire was gone. The first three sounded like a cannon going off.

These experiences have made me a believer in higher load ratings. If it calls for D i go E if it calls for E i go to G. I just bought 4 new G's for my new trailer with less than 5000 miles on it.

Want to buy three "new" (5000 miles) 16-inch load range E tires on aluminum rims, anyone?

Thats my two cents on tires.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

I had Generals on mine before I changed them out last year. They don't make the Generals anymore. I went with Maxxis brand of tire ST225/15E, I had D's on it before but felt that going with the E's would provide a safety factor. I have had good luck with both brands.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Cardinal 04 31LE

There have been many discussions on this forum about tires. Look under General Forum/ Technical Issues/ Tire Blow Out for a post on the topic.
There are others too.

I ended up learning a lot, not because I was really intersted in tires, but because I had two blow outs in two trips and nearly had a third blow out when taking the fiver to the shop for FOUR NEW TIRES. My fifth wheel is a 2004 model with very good tread. On the second blow out the skirting on the bottom of the unit was damaged.

Bottom line was that I purchased Goodyear tires G series rated for the weight of the coach. Although i was tempted to increase to the next higher load rated tire, the dealer advised against it because of the wear and problems with using a "harder" tire than the rating calls for. Bounce was one issue they spoke about and bounce causes uneven wear not to mention a poor tow.

My advice to you is to get those tires replaced before towing very far at all, you will be glad you did.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
There have been many discussions on this forum about tires. Look under General Forum/ Technical Issues/ Tire Blow Out for a post on the topic.
There are others too.

I ended up learning a lot, not because I was really interested in tires, but because I had two blow outs in two trips and nearly had a third blow out when taking the fiver to the shop for FOUR NEW TIRES. My fifth wheel is a 2004 model with very good tread. On the second blow out the skirting on the bottom of the unit was damaged.

Bottom line was that I purchased Goodyear tires G series rated for the weight of the coach. Although i was tempted to increase to the next higher load rated tire, the dealer advised against it because of the wear and problems with using a "harder" tire than the rating calls for. Bounce was one issue they spoke about and bounce causes uneven wear not to mention a poor tow.

My advice to you is to get those tires replaced before towing very far at all, you will be glad you did.

Good luck

If your tires are bouncing then I suggest having not only the four tires on your camper balanced but the spare as well. It makes a difference and it will eliminate tire and bearing damage. Question? would you drive your tow vehicle with out the tires balanced?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #9

We replaced our Cherokee 30F tires with Denman ST size 15. These are E rated tires, 80psi. They have worked great so far. We replaced them after blowing two Carlisle tires and the other two looked like crap, these tires did't have to many miles on them at all. I have also read a lot of good reviews on Maxxim tires, which was our first choice but could not get them at the time we needed them. We had Discout Tire Co. get the tires and put them on for us, they balanced them and put the correct valve stem needed for these tires. We also purchased their special warranty, just in case. This store is great.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

Thanks for the input. After reading all the horror stories about Carlisle and Goodyear, I think I going to go with the Maxxis tires. I too will use Discount Tire. They don't have a store here but still have the best price and free shipping.

2004 Cherokee Lite 275L 5er

johnthen is offline   Reply With Quote