Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I read wmtire's post, I was just furnishing Maxxis' own publications.

I know, it's on the internet so it has to be true. Just kidding.
I understand what you're saying. But, given that Goodyear published guidance saying just about the same thing; I'm willing to believe it.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #12

I too, had the 14 inch tires on my Grey Wolf. Last November the passenger fwd tire decided to modify the wheel well (blowout that I didn’t catch till after unknown miles), I get fed up and after saving the cash, I upgraded to 15’s. I went with E rated Carlisle trailer tires. Over kill? You bet. I only have a thousand miles on them so can’t make a reliability statement but I’m a lot more confident towing now. Oh, they fit with plenty o room so not to worry about that.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Yes, but a dealer inquiry indicated differently. Look for a post by wmtire here about a week ago. Essentially, if you are running at less than the max load and inflate against the inflation table for the psi to load, you can increase the psi (without exceeding wheel or tire's maximum cold pressure) to gain an increase in speed rating.

For those who haven't seen it;

The spped rating on for the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q", which is 99 MPH. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for all ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team
Old 07-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
PPST OGCDG

I just had a set of Maxxsis ST225/75R 15 E rated tires Installed On our Wildcat 29RLBS.
Over the 8 years we owned this unit I have had 1 GY marathon to blow out 2 more to separate and 2 Maxxis to separate.
I always at the first of the season and before long trips (500+ miles 1 way) I jack up each wheel and check for nails, rocks, separated and out of round tires
I try not to travel over 65 miles per hour.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
I just had a set of Maxxsis ST225/75R 15 E rated tires Installed On our Wildcat 29RLBS.
Over the 8 years we owned this unit I have had 1 GY marathon to blow out 2 more to separate and 2 Maxxis to separate.
I always at the first of the season and before long trips (500+ miles 1 way) I jack up each wheel and check for nails, rocks, separated and out of round tires
I try not to travel over 65 miles per hour.
Were the Maxxis tires that separated load range E?
That sure is a lot of tire problems, do you put on a lot of miles?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
PPST OGCDG

Yes they were E range. They were over five years old. they were just out of warranty which is 5 Years. I have I think about 9,000 miles total on the 5th wheel
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
Yes they were E range. They were over five years old. they were just out of warranty which is 5 Years. I have I think about 9,000 miles total on the 5th wheel

That many tires in 9000 miles, and you have no odd tire wear or axle issues?
Are the tires always exposed to the sun?
There has to be something causing them to fail.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #18

Don't know about the Maxxis speed rating but I have the Kumho's and they are rated Q or R. 99mph+. If you go with a higher load rated tire make sure your rim can handle the increased pressure. From 50 psi to 65 psi is a 30% increase. Kumho is not an ST tire so a 195/14 is the replacement for an ST 205/75/14.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Doubtful that 4 tread separations is due to anything but construction or hitting holes in the highways. Sunlight usually damages the sidewalls first by weather checking.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
That many tires in 9000 miles, and you have no odd tire wear or axle issues?
Are the tires always exposed to the sun?
There has to be something causing them to fail.
The first GY that blew out the whole tread came off like a donut left both side walls on the rim. The next 2 GYs had a baseball size bubble on the sidewall just off from the tread. The 2 Maxxis separated in the first large grove in the tread. One had about 12" split in the grove still holding air. The other was raise in the tread all the way around. The tread was not flat but rounded. This tire was still holding air.
Two of the tires that was replaced that there was no problems with them.
they were GY and one was 9 years old and the other one was 6 years old by the date on the tire.
Yes I cover them when it is parked at home. Tread wear, there is no problem with the wear.
The OEM tires were GY and made in the USA