Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
The first GY that blew out the whole tread came off like a donut left both side walls on the rim. The next 2 GYs had a baseball size bubble on the sidewall just off from the tread. The 2 Maxxis separated in the first large grove in the tread. One had about 12" split in the grove still holding air. The other was raise in the tread all the way around. The tread was not flat but rounded. This tire was still holding air.
Two of the tires that was replaced that there was no problems with them.
they were GY and one was 9 years old and the other one was 6 years old by the date on the tire.
Yes I cover them when it is parked at home. Tread wear, there is no problem with the wear.
The OEM tires were GY and made in the USA
That sounds like the tires are over-heating.
But the mystery is why? I am at a loss.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
That sounds like the tires are over-heating.
But the mystery is why? I am at a loss.
Every time I stop I go to and feel the tires and the metal Hub caps. No problem with over-heating.
The owner of the tire shop said about the Maxxis tire there was belt separation on the tires that I had replaced. Maxxis tires have a 5 year warranty on defects

Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
Oklahoma Proud

Ive had issues like this too. I threw 3 gatorbacks going to one job and back (less than100 miles each way)on 2 year old tires (14ply, in the mornings before 10am with proper pressure-100psi) and the 4th(out of 6) had a knot on it when I got home and well under max load by about 1k lb. per tire.
- my take is we are over recycling tires and other stuff so much that quality is severely lacking. I see name brand tires ( on cars and trucks mainly) that are less than 2 years old from dot date and have sidewall cracking already all the time. My boat trailer broke bands over the 4th just sitting at the campground and they were on less than 2 years. Needless to say I probbably need to have holdings in discount tire if they go public. Seems like all I do is buy tires.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #24
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
On our 2012 Cherokee i have 205/75D14/C Trail Express tires can some one
tell me the speed rating.The camper weighs 3500Lbs empty,there is only
about one thousand miles on the tires.I think by next year i will need new ones,is it better to go to 15 inch &bigger than 205, radial tires or bias ply.
I recently had all 4 balanced there doesent look like a whole bunch of
thread left.We are going camping next week about 200 mile round trip
on the interstate the speed limit is 55 60 65 70 in diffrent spots.
Thank you for any help on this.
I replaced all the crappy tire that came with our trailer the 2nd year we had it, less than a handful of short trips. The tires had uneven wear, and FR really gave me the run around with them.

5 new tires (didn't have a spare), is well worth the peace of mind.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Doubtful that 4 tread separations is due to anything but construction or hitting holes in the highways. Sunlight usually damages the sidewalls first by weather checking.
I had dry rot cracks between the treads in my OEM Carlisle C rated tires.
While I don't know for sure it was a curb strike that lead to my blow out a month later; it was the same tire. I changed all the remaining tires and discovered the severe checking and two of the three in road contact at failure has tread cracks that went (in one case) half way around the tire.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Commercial Member

So your engine has a REDLINE of 5,000 but clearly it can run faster. So would you be willing to downshift and run for a few hours at 4,999 ?
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I read wmtire's post, I was just furnishing Maxxis' own publications.

I know, it's on the internet so it has to be true. Just kidding.
I didn't find wmtire's post but know of the letter for GY Marathon tires. The letter only mentions Marathons not any other tire and certainly does not apply to tires made by other companies.

Tire and Rim Association talks about "Up to 65" and I consider tire speed ratings and limits just like engine RPM ratings.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote