Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #1

tires?

wELL ITS TIME TO GET TIRES FOR THE TOW TRUCK. Looking at some load range "E" from firestone any thoughts?
thumperyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
RAC

Personally I'm a Goodyear or BF Goodrich guy from previous firestone issues, specifically regarding the e range tires.

Bridgestone Firestone has announced a "voluntary safety campaign" recalling hundreds of thousands of its Steeltex Radial A/T tires. These tires were placed into service on 2000-2002 Ford Excursions. The tires were also used on some early 2003 models of the Ford Excursion. Owners of vehicles outfitted with these tires will receive free replacement tires, according to the company.

The "voluntary safety campaign" was announced after consultation with NHTSA in which preliminary data from "early warning systems" instituted after the tire maker's previous problems with Firestone ATX, ATXII, and Wilderness AT tires provided as original equipment on Ford Explorers and Rangers, Chevrolet Tahoes, Suburbans, and GMC Yukons, forced the recall of 6.5 million of its tires after nearly 50 fatal accidents nationwide.

The tires at issue were manufactured in Joliette, Quebec from March 1999 through December 2002. The tires in question are Steeltex Radial A/T size LT265/75R16 D. Replacement tires being offered at no charge to consumers are Steeltex Radial A/T size LT265/75R16 E (Load Range E), Steeltex R4SII Load Range E, and Bridgestone Duravis M773II Load Range E tires.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My thinking is to buy a quality tire from a domestic manufacturer with a good national distribution and dealer network system. While we all have our favorites and could debate the merits of the various brands all day long, the issue for me is being able to obtain warranty and/or replacement service if I'm far from home. Being forced into replacing a tire with one of a different brand, tread pattern and handling characteristics because of availability issues can create safety concerns.

Load range E seems to be the standard for 3/4 ton and up light trucks. I would only suggest that you make sure you get tires that are designated as LT (light truck), as opposed to passenger car tires of the same size and load rating. Tread patterns can affect noise and handling. Discuss this with the dealer for more information and guidance.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #4

I run the michelins and they work well other than the wet traction could be better.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote