Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
We went camping in lower Northen Michigan from the 11th of May to the 20th. It was boondocking. It took me 2 1/2 hours to cut our way through trees that had snapped & fallen from heavy snow loading during the winter. My chain saw broke an I had a few more trees to get through. I used my cordless pole saw. It ran out of juice and I had one more tree left. Got out my axe and hacked through the last pine tree blocking the road. It started to rain and I got soaked. Finally got to the camp site, changes clothes and it started to snow. It snowed until the next evening. It was that heavy wet snow. Started to wonder if it was a good idea being there. The snow ended Sunday night and then started melting. Our 5 year old grand daughter thought it was great. It gradually got warmer during the week and got up into the 80s by the weekend. Our son, his wife and 1 yr. old son arrived on Friday and then there were 6 of us in the 5er along with the grand daughter dog. So we ran the gammit of weather in Michigan. We left one day early as the weather called for storms and we had to drive off the road(which is a two track) is some places to get around fallen trees that weren't really safe to tackle with what I had. All in all it was still great to be in the woods with our family. Oh yes, it did get down to 25 F one night and we went through two 30 lb tanks of propane, running the furnace to keep our wee ones warm at night.
So you didn't find many morels ehh?

campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Campfirefun, we don't hunt them. When there was quite a big group of us, many years ago we hunted them in the rain as we had nothing else to do. Somebody cleaned them and then cooked up what we found. My wife and I didn't really care for the taste and haven't had any since. It's really funny when we used to come across people looking for them when we were quading and or dirt biking. They would watch us like hawks and stand there as if it was natural for them to be in a group in the middle of nowhere just hanging out . There weren't that many people out there, that we saw this year hunting them. We find more lost people or they find us, then morels.

Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote