Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Talking To All Those Camping This Labor Day Weekend

I am jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous….
….of all of you that are camping this extended weekend having a great time with your family and friends.

Our tt is still at the repair shop 100 miles away. The tt we are interested in buying still hasn’t arrived at the dealer’s, so I’m here at home doing “Honey Do’s”. My DW wants one of the bedrooms remodeled and I’m not as dumb as I look. What Baby wants, Baby gets! All the painting is done, including the ceiling, and I’m taking a break right now.

So please, when all of you lucky campers post about your great camping adventures this weekend, don’t forget to mention a little sympathy for those of us stuck at home and are…
….jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous!!!!!!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Don't be too bummed, when you do get another trailer, and I hope it is soon, you will have the campgrounds all to yourself. Peace, quiet, a nice campfire and comfy lounge chair. Maybe it's just a blessing in disquise.

I get to make holiday pay at work tomorrow and start our trip in a week after everyone else is gone and the kids are back in school. Should have the lake and campground to ourselves.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

I always divided camping into 2 catagories. Campers and RV'ers. I consider myself a camper, State Parks, etc..., but there are times I like RV'ing, resorts, etc... I think my DW and GD's prefer RV'ing.

Holiday weekends at the State Park where I usually go can be almost like RV'ing. It gets packed by mid Thursday afternoon. After that, good luck finding a spot. It's kind of fun sitting back watching everyone. Can be down right comical at times. Kids are always fun. No inhibitions or prejudicies. Just have fun and everybody's a friend. I love it when our GD's camp with us.

March through May is pretty good around here, but I think I like September through October better. Sometimes we can get in a nice trip or two in November.

There are times that I have been the only one out there. I remember sitting in the camper, one cold, rainy November morning, looking out the windows while I drank my morning coffee watching 3 deer and about 2 dozen turkeys feeding in the campground.

But as of right now I can only camp vicariously through our fellow FRF members. So everybody please tell us about your weekend camping and post plenty of pics too.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Alright just about everyone should be back home by now. It's time to start sharing your weekend camping stories
and don't forget the pics....
....my eyeballs are itchin'!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #5

labor day weekend

Hey, my family and I had a very good weekend we went to a little county campground in southern Indiana.Took camper over thursday nite and set it up.We went back friday nite my daughter took a freind and all had a very good weekend. UL and UK had the rival football game UK won and i am a cat fan so that was good also. hope you get out soon .

ps sorry no pics. roger
PEANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #6

We had reservations for F-M so we got there about noon Fri. It was such a wonderful weekend with temps in the 70's and 40's on F and S and 80's and 60's on Sun. We had the flaps open, the breeze off the lake blowing through and just peaceful. The cg was pretty much packed and it seemed everyone was having a good time. It was so nice to have cool evenings to enjoy campfires. Sorry no pics here either.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

Thanks for posting PEANUT and ilovecamping. Sounds like both of you had a good time camping.

Congrats to UK on their victory. I'm an OU fan and we barely got by this week in a game we should have won easily. We just haven't had a decent defense since Mike Stoops (Bob Stoops brother) left.

It's hard to beat sharing a good campfire on a cool evening with family and friends. Just don't get much better than that.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Thanks for posting PEANUT and ilovecamping. Sounds like both of you had a good time camping.

Congrats to UK on their victory. I'm an OU fan and we barely got by this week in a game we should have won easily. We just haven't had a decent defense since Mike Stoops (Bob Stoops brother) left.

It's hard to beat sharing a good campfire on a cool evening with family and friends. Just don't get much better than that.
grhodes50, as you know we bought a cabin, will I have been very busy moving things out of our camper and into the cabin before we remove the camper from our seasonal site, now that's not counting the landscaping I have been doing, I remove all of the rocks that I had put around my seasonal site to the cabin site and still had to dig up more, so for the past three weeks there has been no time for R&R, I had one beer in the past five days while at the cabin. It looks like I will be able to sit next week end and have a few beers for you as well as me.
I know how restless you are not able to get out like the rest of us but I hope you get your rig back before you have to winterize it.
I must say you seem to be in a good frame of mined for all that has happen with the way you have posted, I really fell for you and your family good luck and keep us posted.....Wade
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #9

Thanks rockwood06

I've always tried to keep a positive attitude, no matter what. It's hard enough when things aren't going so well. It doesn't make much since to make it worse by walking around mad at the world. I haven't done so well with that lately, but I appreciate all FRF members. Everyone has allowed me to rant, rave, vent, whine and cry about my tt and I don't recall anyone replying in a negative manner.

I honestly thought about getting rid of the tt and forgetting about camping altogether at one point. Then I thought about all the good times I've had camping. When I was young we started out with a tent. Sometimes wasn't room for all of us, so we would sleep in the back seat of a car or anywhere else that we could find. I remember one time Dad looking at people with tt's and saying, "They're really roughing it." The next year he bought his first one. He passed away last year, 87 years old, and Mom still has their class A in the barn that we built for it.

I started out camping with my DS in a tent. My DW and DD didn't care too much for it and rarely came. By the time I bought the pop up our kids had grown and moved out. My DW camped a little more with me and said she wouldn't mind camping if we at least had a toilet in the camper. Things just took off from there. We like to take the grand kids with us now and they love it. Our DIL and sometimes our SIL likes to camp as well. Our DD still doesn't care for it. I don't know where we went wrong! lol

So as I remembered all these past camping adventures I realized I was letting a camper ruin and/or prevent me from any future camping fun with my family. I just can't let that happen. I've always believed it's not so much what you camp in, but who you camp with.

So I've adjusted my attitude back to where it should be and decided it's about time to start making some lemonade out of this big 'ole lemon I have.

So thanks to you rockwood06 and everyone else who have patiently endured my past rantings.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #10

Hey rockwood06.

After you get everything moved and get your landscaping done and before you dig too deep in that cooler next weekend, post us some pics!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We did a spur-of-moment camping trip to Loft Mtn. on the Skyline Drive.......a whopping 35 mile trip each way. I went up Thursday to get a non-reservable site.....there were plenty to be had......but that was a different situation on Friday afternoon. The weather was cool, and down into the 40s at nite. Great hiking weather.

Saturday nite, some of the locals from the valley had a Blue Grass jam behind 1 of the host campers.....they had a canopy setup and a table spread for major piggn' out. Since I am originally from the valley, I knew several people there, including 1 of the band members. The missus and I sat around our campfire several sites away from the activities, and listened to the music until quiet time arrived.

Seems like a good time was had by all.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Hey rockwood06.

After you get everything moved and get your landscaping done and before you dig too deep in that cooler next weekend, post us some pics!
grhodes, thanks for taking an interest, i do have some pic that were taken this week end but the work was not complete. Next week end I am pulling my camper off of the site that I have had for two seasons and I am going to take some pic of what we are leaving behined.
Another member of the campground had noticed that our stuff was slowly disappearing so they jumped on the band wagon and contacted the manager before anyone else could and they now will be occupying what will be our old site.
We can look across the lake and see our old site just as we can look from our old site and see the cabin.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #13

mtnguy; Sounded like a great time. You could have traveled 1,000 miles and not enjoyed it as much. Distance doesn't matter, getting out there does.

rockwood06; Look forward to seeing some pics. I bet you won't be missing that old spot for very long.