Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

To Cover or Not Cover

We just bought a new Flagstaff Micro Lite 25DS. It'll be stored in open storage in Grand Junction, CO, a climate that's hot and dry during the summer and fairly cold and dry during the winter. We're discussing whether we should buy a cover for it or not. We live almost 200 miles from where the trailer is stored, so we'll have to take the cover with us when we travel so one issue is the size of the folded cover. Another issue is the ease of putting the thing on; is it fairly easy for 2 people or a big hassle? Do I need a ladder to put it on?

Any thoughts or your experience with covers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Wayne and Ruth Haley
rwhmtnfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

I would cover it.
You might be able to strap or bungee the rolled up cover to the tongue behind the gas bottles/ battery.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

Buy the best cover you can afford. Don't use a vinyl plastic tarp it will scratch your trailer... 200 miles, really?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I covered for the first time ever this last winter. Mine's an ADCO. Calmark also make covers.

I installed myself and it wasn't hard. You will want the ladder and two people would make it a lot easier.

Let me know if you figure out how to fold the darn thing. I bundled it up and store it on a shelf in my basement. Its a big bundle.

FYI - One big complaint with a cover is that some have found it rubbing off their trailer's finish in spots. I believe this is due to wind or improper cinching or too large of a cover or all. We did not have any problems but (and this is important) our trailer is in an open space in our woods so its fairly well-protected from heavy winds.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

If you are going to cover it, I would buy a dedicated cover. I live in Loveland and covered my trailer the first 2 or 3 years with a plastic tarp. Didn't notice any problems from the tarp, but the tie-downs rubbed thru the paint where they touched the body. Slight wind the 3rd or 4th year made it difficult to cover, so said the hell with it. Didn't notice any problems the last 6 years or so uncovered. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #6

I had an ADCO Tyvek cover for a 30 foot unit (which I traded in earlier this year). I was able to put it on and take off myself. It isn't hard if you are physically able to do it. I even did it on windy days which added an additional challenge.

The key to storing an RV cover is to store it in a large trash can. As you take it off, start in the rear of the trailer and feed it accordian style into the trash can so the part that goes on the rear of the trailer is on the bottom and the part that covers the front of the trailer is on the top. That way, when it's time to put it back on, you just grab the top of it, climb your ladder and proceed to the front of the trailer. Piece of cake. Just make sure you cover sharp corners and the down spouts or they will start to poke a hole into the cover. I use cut up swimming noodles for that purpose.

I will be purchasing one for my new trailer.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
Just make sure you cover sharp corners and the down spouts or they will start to poke a hole into the cover. I use cut up swimming noodles for that purpose.

I will be purchasing one for my new trailer.
Great point that I forgot about. I cut X's into tennis balls to fit over all of the downspouts. These balls made it easy to pull off in the spring.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #8

RV cover

We had a 24 fun finder and got an adco (i think) from camping world ---get at the sale price or wait till goes on sale and you will save good $ s...
it comes with little sandbags attached to your snap straps and makes it easy to throw over the top......after covering gutter spouts with short noodle pieces....it also comes with propane and battery covers........went
on easy, even with vents and a/c up there.....two people make it really easy but one can do it......the trash can is a great idea if you have room and it goes into its own storage bag easy also.....good luck with everything......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

DO NOT COVER!!!!!

I purchased a $350.00 Adco cover and after covering my Sunseeker for one winter, the cover wore the rubber roof off the entire length! Cost me over $100.00 to repair it. I had it tied down tight but the wind kept chaffing it!

Never again!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Thanks for all your input. ADCO covers are on sale now and we have a Good Sam coupon for 20% off so that's the way we'll go. I think the garbage can idea from Punkaccountant is really good, and I hadn't thought of those sharp drain pipes sticking out from the sides so we'll need a noodle or 2 or tennis balls. Thanks again for your help. Wayne Haley
rwhmtnfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

I covered my last trailer for one winter. It was a pain in the butt to put on, and I believe it rubbed some of the finish off the gelcoat in some spots (probably due to wind flapping). I am not a huge believer in covers - look at all of the rv dealers...they don't cover anything. A quality trailer should be able to withstand the elements as good as anything else. I proabaly will never use a cover again. Just my two cents...
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

If you want your unit to look like new many years down the road like the first day you bought it, definitely cover. Also, it'll help prevent certain plastic parts on the unit from fading due to sun exposure and will keep caulking joints from dry rotting as quickly. In addition, it'll help keep the roof clean so you don' t need to wash and seal as often.