Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #1

To purchase Extended Warranty or NOT

I own a 2015 Class A, when we bought it the extended warranty was around 7K. Within the first year I took my NEW camper to the dealer 6 separate times to fix things (which I found out later that this is normal for most new campers). After the first year I didn't have any major repairs (thank GOD) except for some water damage that was denied by my extended warranty.

As someone who is about to purchase another new RV, my question to the community is this:

Since extended warranties can be soo expensive do people feel like they are necessary? I know its a gamble not to get one, but if you're halfway handy is it too risky? What are ya'll thoughts?
Dknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Coach

I'm not big on extended warranties. The beauty of not having one is you don't have to worry about repairs being covered or improperly documented. I know we haven't encountered any problems that we weren't able to fix ourselves, but we're rural folks from farm country. Such is the way of life for us. I'm definitely not saying there aren't good warranty plans out there, I'm sure some will chime in with the good ones they've had. I just know with some tools and some knowledge most things are pretty easy to fix and I don't have to worry about someone else finding time to do it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #3

Ford or Chevy; everyone has an opinion. People will say 7 grand can cover a lot of repairs that were to complex for the owner to repair. On the other hand what price peace of mind. Just another opinion.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #4

We purchased an extended warranty with our 5th wheel and I was glad that we did. On one of our extended trips we had two major problems which the warrarty paid for. 1st - the rear AC unit went out and was replaced without issue. 2nd- We had to have all of the leaf spring hangers replaced. Both of these was done at our CG without any problems at all. If we had been home then I could have probable fixed these but at what cost. But all we had to do was make a few phone calls and then wait for the repair person to get the job done. That was a load off of my mind while we were travelling. Our camper was about three years old then and out of factory warranty. We have also had the rear stabilizers replaced under warranty about a year ago but this happened near our house so we just took it to our dealer after calling the warranty people and getting the okay.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #5

I assume you purchased the MH used.

My first opinion is any RV is of low quality. Repairs, when you can find them are expensive. MH being the highest.

I believe an extended warranty is high risk; finding a repair facility under the warranty can be a problem, the amount of coverage for a given claim may be less than you think, and what do you do when the insurance provider disappears.

I always assume the risk of repairs and can perform many small problems myself. I own a 5th wheel not a MH. Big difference. If you have a FR product, you should not experience any more repairs than with any other brand. Save Tiffin. The number of miles you travel per year is a major consideration.

A FR owner.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #6

This topic seems to come up a lot. Here is another thread discussing the same question: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ty-183729.html

My answer is, no. I never have and never will buy an extended warranty. Spread over many purchases over long periods of time, you will win without the extended warranty. But, the warranty companies will win if you buy extended warranties, because that’s why they’re in the business.

Yes, RVs are poorly built and will require work. I treat new RVs as being fixer-uppers, sold as is. Then I do as much or all of the work myself because I don’t want a dealer messing it up worse than the factory already did.

Some people will say the warranty gives them peace of mind. I would get no peace out of knowing the odds are that I threw good money away. Oh, maybe I would win a time or two, but over many purchases, the odds are that I will lose by buying the extended warranty.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Not through the dealership. Check for exclusionary type policies that list what's not covered. Check out Coach-net and Wholesale Warranties. IMO better contracts for much less. Buying new wait about 9 months before purchasing.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

Extended warranties

Look at the cost and put that much in a savings account to fix repairs. They are a profit item for the seller. I worked in sales, we were pushed to sell them. You already saw that they look for an excuse to deny claims. The only time I would consider an extended warranty would be on a diesel truck, W/ a Ford or Chevy warranty, a month before the factory warranty expired. Early on I bought them, it never paid off.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Team

I can only speak for myself and my situation. I paid $1800 for a 5 year extended service contract on a 2015 Wildcat... I bought it through the dealership along with my trailer. People say the dealer makes a profile if/when he sells a policy. OK, he made a profile on my trailer also, but that didn't keep me from buying it. Some say if you have tools and have any sense at all, you shouldn't buy an extended service contract. I have some sense and some tools but I'm too old and tired to replace an A/C unit about 13' off the ground... to old and tired to replace one of the 2 axles. I don't have the tools nor the sense to angle grind a bunch of pin box support structure off the front of my trailer and weld a new beam into its place.
My policy cost me $1800 and paid $4200 for repairs at a service center 30 miles from my house. Regarding the last/biggest repair, I submitted the claim 10 days before the contract expired, service center submitted it the next day, got it approved a couple of days before expiration, got paid by the contract 3 days AFTER the contract expired. I had helpful participation from the frame manufacturer, the service center's warranty manager, and the service contract people.

When people tell you to take a clump of repair money and bank it for potential repairs, ask them if they did. When I asked, everyone said "Nah".

To be clear, I was clueless when I bought the extended service contract but I did negotiate the price down and the contract saved me money and heartache. Just my 2¢.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

If you bought new, consider getting the extended warranty before the mfg .warranty expires. May save you the cost of inspection fees.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #11

I would have put the $7000 you spent on an extended warranty into a savings account.
Self-insure yourself and use it if needed.
These are high profit, high pressure sales fluff by the aggressive finance manager.
Just say no.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Not through the dealership. Check for exclusionary type policies that list what's not covered. Check out Coach-net and Wholesale Warranties. IMO better contracts for much less. Buying new wait about 9 months before purchasing.
Thanks for all of the advice. This quote helped me out a lot in my thinking, I didn't know you could buy an extended warranty from these guys months down the road after a purchase.
Dknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #13

Extended Warranty YES

Buy based on reviews and other RV Owners experiences. I paid $2500 through my RV Lender and was glad it was in effect when some electrical and slide problems occurred. So when the repairs exceed the cost of the Warranty, it sure seemed worthwhile.

My brother had the very same good experience and results with his RV Warranty, the coverage exceeded the cost of the warranty and his is a 7 year coverage.
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:03 AM   #14

I think it boils down to about 4-5 factors and the answer will be different for each of us.
  • If you are handy and can fix most items by yourself, diagnose a plumbing leak and repair, trouble shoot an electrical problem with a meter, etc. that covers most of the inexpensive items a warranty covers.
  • You find a good warranty plan without a lot of exclusions that you can afford. As mentioned, many (not all but the majority) of the warranties sold by dealerships are full of exclusions an are profit makers for the dealership for selling them and for the warranty company because they deny many claims based on exclusions listed.
  • Are you one of those people that just needs to feel like your covered and doesn't want to worry about it, even knowing there's a better chance you won't get your monies worth out of the coverage?
  • Would putting the money you will spend on the warranty aside for emergencies and adding to it a little each month put you at ease or would you continue to be concerned that another big ticket item would cause financial hardship for you?

At the end of the day, Buying an extended warranty is a personal choice based on the above factors. It's insurance against a big expense that costs a slightly smaller big expense (or a slightly larger one if you roll the cost into your financing of the trailer).

There is no right or wrong, there is only what works for you, your comfort level with your repair skills, your financial situation and your ability to enjoy your RV with or without the warranty to put your mind at ease.

Myself, I've never had an extended warranty, fixed anything that went wrong myself. 3 RV's, never had to take one in to get anything done outside the first year under warranty and that was only one of the three RV's, one time. Same deal on Trucks and vehicles though I sometimes sell or trade them shortly after warranties are expired.

Good luck in your decision and Happy Camping!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #15

I think you’re being deceived. First of all, you appear to have been in the first year of purchase. Every RV I’ve seen comes with a one year warranty. Secondly, many items within a camper carry their own warranty like your refrigerator and furnace. Your basic or extended warranty won’t cover these if their warranty is still active. They would be fixed, but just not under your purchased warranty. Next, as for a class A, the chassis and engine have their own warranty often even much longer than the coach. Your dealer may fix them, but he’s doing it under the chassis’s or engine’s warranty. Finally, read the fine print, you’ll be surprised what isn’t covered. For example, warranty (extended service contract) companies get to decide how many hours to pay for the service. If your dealer charges more, you pay the difference. These companies are incentivized to deny claims, which puts you at a disadvantage when they’re the ones to decide if an item is covered. I believe $7k Is way over the going rate even if you still decide to buy one. Put the money in the bank. Statistically, you’re far better off.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #16

If I purchase another RV, I won't get the extended warranty. I obtained one when I purchased a used 2014 Prime Time Crusader 295RST fifth wheel, in 2017. Only one item has failed, the electric fireplace, and it wasn't covered. The warranty expires in 3 months and I will be lucky to use the trailer in that time. I personally believe extended warranties are a waste of money. The selling dealer makes money off of them but you will be farther ahead to put the money aside for future repairs. Just my opinion.
free83118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #17

It looks like you got plenty of feedback.
Personally, I do buy the extended warranties because I'm not inclined to spend my time fixing things nor am I mechanically inclined.

Second, the extended warranties have usually worked out in my favor - last 2 cars exceeded warranty cost 2.5:1
I think the suggestion of the 2 companies and looking at exclusions and purchasing towards the end of your mfg warranty are great points.

At the end of the day...can you afford the repairs, regardless of their cost and can you do them yourself...if the answer is both (or at least have plenty to pay someone to do it), then don't get it.
James Ww is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty