Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprice01 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Getting very close to pulling the trigger on our very first 5th Wheel, and currently leaning toward two Chaparral models: the 371MBRB or the 372QBH. Any thoughts between these two?

Either way - we are going to have to choose between refrigerators and would would really appreciate some help from those who have been there.

I know that when you increase the size of the units, you lose some pantry space, so I've got that covered, but what about the rest of the story like propane vs. inverter, etc?

Let me know what you think when you have a minute.

Thanks,

Paul

Maybe this can be your final thought. A Dometic model 1350 gas and 117 volt AC box measures 12.6 cu/ft of space retail cost $7,200. A Whirlpool domestic unit in SS carries a retail price of $2,250. Both have ice makers, and can be maintained on line with the vehicle alternator underway. No brainer it would seem.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #22

Counter depth fridges do cost a bit more, but will fit through the door.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

My two cents.
Cost! propane refers DO NOT last, just check.
If you can deal with the power needs get a residential unit
After all, when was the last time you replaced a home refrigerator.
tarpumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That could be a problem if you have to replace a residential refrigerator is getting a new one put in, you would probably have to take the slide off, no way refrigerator would fit through the door. But a residential refrigerator cost less than a RV refrigerator and a lot of people like them. Besides campers are getting bigger not smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I going to do some measurements and see if mine will fit out the door. A side note we tried to put washer/dryer combo in a another brands bedroom and won't fit thought the bedroom door nor would fit though one of the windows.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #25

This month I had the choice of replacing the cooling unit on my 8 cu. ft. Dometic for $470 (shipped) or buy a 11.8 cu. ft. Whirlpool w/scratch on side for $325 from a Sears Outlet... I bought the Whirlpool & am testing it out right now. I like that it holds 30% more, including gallon-size milk containers in the door pockets, which is a big plus for our family of 5.

We typically stay at CGs with at least electric-only sites. However, last month I bought (2) Wen 2000W Inverter Generators (Yamaha Clones) for $800 @ woot.com, so we're good-to-go for a few nights of boondocking at one SP that does not have power...

So right now I am looking for a good 2000-3000W inverter to power the fridge while we're on the road. I plan to go bigger than I need because the electronics seem to last longer when they are not pushed to their limits...

Are the Harbor Freight CENTECH Inverters any good? Any other suggestions?
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
...Are the Harbor Freight CENTECH Inverters any good? Any other suggestions?
Personally I like the Xantrex ProWatt pure sine wave units with a remote on/off switch and an automatic transfer switch...all from Xantrex. That way when you plug into shore or genny, the reefer automatically switches to AC and the inverter just idles. They have 1,000 and 2,000 watt models. I am sure that your reefer would run off the 1,000 watt version but you can add the extra capability of 2,000 watts. Remember, however, that this is a lot of 12 volt current.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #27

A residential refrigerator the ice cream gets hard, you have a lot of space. You don't have to worry about getting the refrigerator level. Both have good points, for a big family the residential refrigerator is a no brainier.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #28
jkoenig24

My 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB came with a three door, 23 cubic foot Frigidaire Professional Series residential refrigerator. Unfortunately, Dynamax installed only TWO 12VDC house batteries. I asked at the PDI how long I could expect said fridge to run on those two batteries only. The fellow doing the PDI said I should get at least two days (and very possibly more). I got home about 2:00AM, parked my rig in my driveway and, went straight to bed. I came out just after 2:00PM, roughly 12 hours later and my house batteries were dead. I don't know if the PDI guy was ignorant, deceitful or both (Terrytown RV, Grand Rapids, MI. Other problems with Terrytown too). Later that year, I had the two 12VDC house batteries removed and had six 6VDC batteries installed. Now I CAN get two days on batteries alone. If I keep my Super-C diesel puller, I'll probably get solar panels (along with GOOD instrumentation) installed.

Bottom line; residential refrigerators REQUIRE large battery banks UNLESS you'll ALWAYS be able to connect to shore power.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #29

I have four six volt plus a 1000 watt inverter. I am going to put in solar early next year. I also have another bank of batteries, four more six volt batteries, they are Trojans. The four that came with the camper are 105amps. The Trojans are 225amps. The Trojans are hooked up to a 3,000 watt inverter separate from the other bank of batteries. I know the batteries that came with the camper will last four days.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge