Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

To the Thrill of the Tow

How many are like me? I truly enjoy our TT adventures and traveled from Florida to Prince Edward Island this summer. A great trip but I really enjoy the towing. There is something about hooking the TT to the truck and hitting the road. I like the feel of the TT behind truck and the challenges it sometimes presents. I have a good set-up which makes this possible but I am not talking about my truck versus your truck but just the pure joy of hauling the TT down the road.

I find after we are somewhere for a while I am looking forward To The Tow....

Anyone else enjoy the tow?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

I do! I do!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

I agree, I think maybe its the challenge of hooking up, moving from place to place without incident, I don't know but the fun part of any camping trip to me is the towing. I pull with a turbo diesel and the whine of the turbo and the feel of power under foot and knowing there's 35' of trailer back there.... man, sometimes I think I'll just go get the trailer and tow it around town for fun! Trip to nowhere!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

"... man, sometimes I think I'll just go get the trailer and tow it around town for fun! Trip to nowhere! "

That's what I'm talking about....

Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Oh yeah!! Its early in the morning...the "Z" is packed with gear and BIG BERTHA is hooked up and ready to roll...the sun is rising..the adventure is just starting...
I turn on Bit_hen Betty (gps) and tell her the destination. I light one up and take a hit of coffee. Im relaxed, pumped with ADRENALIN , all systems are GO and im just to the end of the my street.
When I get to the highway the cb goes on ch 19 ..Break howboutya east bounder hows it looking over your shoulder?
"Its clean and green",, so its hammer time, well okay 60 mph and im diggin it all!
I reply "you gotta plain brown wrapper at 24 1/2 mile marker taken pictures"
You get the idea...heck I thought I was the only one...
So yes I like driven my Z and hauling BIG BERTHA! Like a kid in a candy store!
Life is good, travel safely!
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Oh yeah!! Its early in the morning...the "Z" is packed with gear and BIG BERTHA is hooked up and ready to roll...the sun is rising..the adventure is just starting...
I turn on Bit_hen Betty (gps) and tell her the destination. I light one up and take a hit of coffee. Im relaxed, pumped with ADRENALIN , all systems are GO and im just to the end of the my street.
When I get to the highway the cb goes on ch 19 ..Break howboutya east bounder hows it looking over your shoulder?
"Its clean and green",, so its hammer time, well okay 60 mph and im diggin it all!
Carl
I did not understand 90% of this. But I enjoyed it.

Myself, I enjoy the challenge of towing. But watching the gas gauge plummet is saddening to this tree-hugging dirt-worshiper. Oh well.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Carl
I feel your energy and understand it all.. CB? Gosh I have not used a CB since the CB craze of the 70's. I always wondered if they were still popular?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
I did not understand 90% of this. But I enjoyed it.

Myself, I enjoy the challenge of towing. But watching the gas gauge plummet is saddening to this tree-hugging dirt-worshiper. Oh well.
Hello tree-hugging dirt-worshiper,
sorry for the 90% confusion. sometime I get too detailed with slang terms I guess.
Z is my truck
bertha - camper
Bit_hen betty -GPS
light one up- having a smoke
CB slang , plain brown wrapper / taken pictures= unmarked cop in brown car taking radar. hammer time- hitting the gas / clean and green- the road ahead of me has no cops and traffic is moving.
Towing a 36 foot 8 inch 8500 lbs unit and 15000 lbs total for me to say I like towing comes up a little short.
Happy campin

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I feel your energy and understand it all.. CB? Gosh I have not used a CB since the CB craze of the 70's. I always wondered if they were still popular?
I too was all into the cb craze of the 70's. Had a nice home unit with a D104 , 500 watt kicker. never did get that moonraker 4 I wanted. Car cb with 100 watt kicker.I was 10-8 and 10-10 for sure! Still know my call letters..KLR6755 .Man that was fun!!
On one trip we stop at a truck stop...Saw several cb's... so I thought I buy a cb set up. Installed it in the parking lot and had a blast from the past on the way home.
I use it on all my road trips now and it has saved me getting stuck in traffic jams and maybe a ticket or two. Listening to the truckers can be entertaining as well.

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #10

Quote:
I turn on Bit_hen Betty (gps) and tell her the destination.
That's the same thing I named our GPS.

I think it is more enjoyable when you have a good setup that handles and drives well.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Several years ago, my son and I took a trip to Canada to pick up some old Jeep parts for a restoration. Our Tom-tom GPS was lost and we began to call it Val-Val after my wife. It was talking all the time and we weren't listening!
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
That's the same thing I named our GPS.

I think it is more enjoyable when you have a good setup that handles and drives well.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #13

I like towing. A lot of times on short weekend trips (less than 2 hours from home) it's over too soon. I really enjoyed all the road time on our 3600 mi. round trip haul to Yellowstone this year. I know some guys who just dred towing.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #14

with my old f150 i really had anxiety about towing......any head winds and the truck just struggled and the programmer would constantly beep cuz the trans temp was going up.....oh...and the 7-8mpg......lol

now with a PROPER tv that i have spent a lot of time setting up RIGHT i LOVE towing.....on a calm day i can stick the cruise on 65 and i forget the trailer is even back there...what 9800lbs....just sit back and enjoy the ride....!! there really is a lot to take in if you just relax and enjoy it....

and i think i like to really let the old girl loose and let her tow like she was born to do.....i mean...that IS why we all bought these monstrosities right..?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

I enjoy getting there...period. Towing is a way to accomplish that. Swinging the kickstand up on Hogzilla with 400 miles ahead is my thrill!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #16

I wouldn't say I look forward to the tow as much as the trip. Over the years we've had lots of adventure and lots of fun times 'along the way'. Sure there are some trips that are all about getting there, but there are others that we keep our eyes open for anything interesting and will stop in a hearbeat to investigate.

I have to admit it is sooooo much easier now with the 5'r and by extension enjoyable. From the hitch up to the actual tow itself hauling the 5'r is pure ease.

No GPS for me though, I can't stand the bloody things... Just one more electronic device, and I try and avoid em if possible, I get my fill of FRED's (aka fu___in ridiculous electronic devices) while on the job.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #17

I think the proper set up is key to the thrill of the tow. Took us about 6 months of adjustments to get ours perfect, but when you do, its a pleasure to tow. I've heard people say "you can almost forget the trailer is back there." Never understood that prior to getting properly set up, but now it really is true... almost.
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #18

That was one thing that really surprised me about owning a camper is there is just something fun about towing. Before I was about the destination but now I am about the journey. That includes hitching up an and setting up which I find surprisingly enjoyable as well. I don't think I would like towing if I were not comfortable with my setup
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Enjoy towing even more now that we're retired and can take all the time we want getting to or coming from camping. The 5er is a dream to tow other than having to watch gas station overhangs, etc. When we go to FL, we can make it in 2 easy days, but usually takes 4-5 days to go the 585 miles and the same coming home altho 2 yrs ago we drove home in one day just because we never got tired until we were about 50 miles from home and decided to trudge on rather than find a campground.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #20

Looks like most of you ahead of my post is just like the road....since I go 56-58 mph and see lots flying by....I tow about a hundred miles when I move....so takes me almost a month to get to south texas from nc....and about 2 wks to get to fla.....if I make it at all...a huge tow for me would be about 220 miles....in one day.....more often I do about 0- 100 miles.....travel from one 12 dollar campsite to the next.....so cost me about 52 bucks a day when I travel....hmmmmmmmmm.....so only 12 a day when I don't.....lol guess I just do the math and smell the roses and camp in every camp ground.....good luck.....enjoy your travel....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote