Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
JnJ in TX
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orange, TX
Posts: 9
To Valve or not to valve

We just bought our 1st RV. It is a 2012 Salem Hemisphere 246RLBS. The previous owner was not very RV savvy and unsure about some of the "things" on the RV. There is a valve on a white hose that appears to come from the water heater. As you can see from the photo, it is not the bypass valve. I did not have any luck with the owners manual. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Connections.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	77726  
__________________

__________________
JoandJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santee, CA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoandJames View Post
We just bought our 1st RV. It is a 2012 Salem Hemisphere 246RLBS. The previous owner was not very RV savvy and unsure about some of the "things" on the RV. There is a valve on a white hose that appears to come from the water heater. As you can see from the photo, it is not the bypass valve. I did not have any luck with the owners manual. Thanks in advance!
Could it be a water tank fill, used to fill your tank while hooked up to city water? I can't quite read the label but that is my take.
__________________

__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Firefighter969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stevensville, MD
Posts: 180
X2 on fresh water tank fill


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
JnJ in TX
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orange, TX
Posts: 9
The label above this hose is "Fresh Water Connection". It relates to the female hose connection just above the label. It's a bit confusing. The city water connection on the left is below the label. Not a lot of consistency here. I have a Suburban water heater. Is the only way to drain it is to take out the anode? I took this one out and it was 99% gone. Anyway, I guess I could open the valve and see what happens!
__________________
JoandJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santee, CA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoandJames View Post
The label above this hose is "Fresh Water Connection". It relates to the female hose connection just above the label. It's a bit confusing. The city water connection on the left is below the label. Not a lot of consistency here. I have a Suburban water heater. Is the only way to drain it is to take out the anode? I took this one out and it was 99% gone. Anyway, I guess I could open the valve and see what happens!
The fact that you took out the anode rod spells "good show"! On the Suburban's I've had that is the only way to fully drain. The rod will usually consume itself in 12 to 18 months depending how much you are connected to shore power (which creates electrolysis). Just plan on replacing and that heater will last longer than the rest of the rig. Be sure to flush out the tank as good as possible to get all the debris out, there will be plenty. Usually whitens my whole driveway when I flush one out. Local RV store should have a flush out tool that works very well . http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-Wa...+flushing+tool
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoandJames View Post
Anyway, I guess I could open the valve and see what happens!
That's an interesting setup but I'm thinking the same as was previously indicated - a shut off for the fresh water supply. Have you attempted to trace the plumbing? The label above the female connector appears to be the standard, canned precaution re sanitizing and filling fresh water tanks.
__________________
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
That's an interesting setup but I'm thinking the same as was previously indicated - a shut off for the fresh water supply. Have you attempted to trace the plumbing? The label above the female connector appears to be the standard, canned precaution re sanitizing and filling fresh water tanks.
Yes, you'll have to trace the plumbing on the backside of those panels. Otherwise, our guesses here will range from plumbing to drain the fresh water tank, plumbing to drain the water heater, plumbing to add anti-freeze for winterizing, plumbing to dispense cranberry juice to combat kidney stones. As kandl says, "That's an interesting setup...." My translation of that is "I've never seen anything like that (as in - the previous owner did something clever or crazy)". Get behind those panels or come in from the bottom to see the intended purpose.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
jk510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 206
Silly question, but what happens if you open the valve?
It looks like it was factory installed. Could it be a drain? Though it seems too high to be a low point drain.
__________________
Joel K
Southeast AZ
2013 Coachman Mirada 29DSSE
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,770
I believe that is a water heater by - pass for winterizing. You don't want to waste putting gallons of antifreeze in your water heater.

Is this what you're referring to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-23 15.16.10.png
Views:	135
Size:	735.2 KB
ID:	77818
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange Texas
Posts: 609
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Welcome to the forum. I see your city and state. Same as mine. Live past Junior High in L.C.-M.

Traveling now. Will be back in town towards the end of the week. I will contact you and willing to help you learn the "ropes."
__________________

__________________

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.