Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 04:43 AM   #1

Toad and MH all hitched!

Had the install this week. Blue Ox and a dozen + other parts to safely flat tow the Jeep. I took photos and a movie of the tutorial given to me. He had me do the hitch-up, or whatever it may actually be called. Pretty easy, but many steps. Then, when I got home and tried to take it apart the frustration began when some parts were too tight to release after I took the pins out. Total time spent, 2 hours. I am going to call the RV place and ask if I put some graphite powder on the metal parts to make them go together and release smoothly, it's still safe. I am going to practice hitching and unhitching this weekend, so when we go camping next week it doesn't take me 2 hours to unhitch the Jeep before I can back in the MH!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476351809.958693.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	122845

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #2

We have the Blue Ox tow system with the invisibrake, I can do the whole setup by myself in 5 minutes or less. I think you should have your system looked at, it should not take that long to setup.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Evidently there is too much pressure on the blue ox arms to remove the pins. First step is to push down on the release levers, one on each arm, then place the jeep in drive and move forward a little. This will release the pressure on the arms and you should be able to remove the pins. If not then there is something else going on.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #4

X2 on Locomo14's comment. Try this procedure (make sure you are on a reasonably flat surface):

1. Get your Jeep out of transfer case neutral.
2. Put the jeep in drive and s-l-o-w-l-y move forward @ a inch or so. (This should release pressure on the pins connecting the tow bar to your Jeep)
3. Unhook the tow bar.
4. Remove other components

Like Pennie said, I can do this solo in @ 5 min
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

X3 - release the pressure on the arm and the pins will slide right out. Just remember too set the e-brake on you toad prior to pulling the pins.

Regards,
Fred
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

Agree with Locomo14. But, there are a few times I was unable to get the stress off the connector pins. So, I carry a long narrow punch and just tap them out.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

First time - Blue Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
We have the Blue Ox tow system with the invisibrake, I can do the whole setup by myself in 5 minutes or less. I think you should have your system looked at, it should not take that long to setup.
I used my Blue Ox tow system this weekend for the first time .. Sunseeker 2250 & FIAT 500 Pop ... takes me about 20 minutes by myself to hook up / unhook. Very happy with the system
wolfmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior

One additional thing I have found is that it is best if you are driving straight ahead before you begin and the toad is lined up straight behind your motorhome. If you are turning the release levers on the will be bound up.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #9

Illustration(s) of why I use Towmaster.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #10

Congrats! We towed our Jeep for the first time a few weeks ago and then took it with us on our first "real" trip just last weekend. I have the Ready Brute tow bar and the first time I hitched up in my driveway I had the same issue - it was tough disconnecting from the MH. No problems since then - as others have said it helps if the TV and Toad are in the straightest line possible before trying to unhook. After a year of outings with no "local" wheels it's nice to have something to bomb around in at our destination now. :-)

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #11

tow bar hook-up

there is an excellent video on u-tube (by a blue ox tech) that will explain & demonstrate hook up & un hook of the blue ox system.
I have the same set up with my class c & wrangler, when it gets in a bind like that just turn the steering wheel of the jeep all the way to the right then all the way to the left & the pressure on the pins will be gone.

2016 coachmen freelander 26rs
2015 jeep wrangler sport
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #12

Thank you! I will check out the YouTube video, and thanks for the tip.
I recorded the tech showing me how to connect the system up. But, undoing is where I had problems. I bought a can of dry lube at Lowes yesterday, just in case.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Agree with Locomo14. But, there are a few times I was unable to get the stress off the connector pins. So, I carry a long narrow punch and just tap them out.
I do the same thing (i.e., long punch and tap the pins out). The key is to relieve the pressure by pulling forward a little bit, but sometimes it is not possible. After a little bit of practice, you'll get it down pat!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #14

I tapped in a large blunt nail I found in the garage. It pushed the pins out, but the nail got snagged in place! That's what took me so long to get out. It was really frustrating, but I was determined. I did cry a little though!

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Dana Point, CA

Tags
hitch, toad