Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #21

Ummmm, did I read this correctly? Some are wiping and then placing that used TP in the trash can? This must be realllllllly old school, no longer have a sense of smell, or serious septic issues?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Ummmm, did I read this correctly? Some are wiping and then placing that used TP in the trash can? This must be realllllllly old school, no longer have a sense of smell, or serious septic issues?
It's called "Preventive Maintenance".
Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
DDC

It's a HOLDING TANK it does not care what you use because it will soon be gone.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
Always Learning

This was my daughter's science fair project last year. We only tested non-RV papers and found that they all broke down when agitated. Scott's was the quickest but the worst quality (my ass is very snobby). We use Cottonelle at home and in the camper. It took the longest to break down but with proper water use has never been a problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rvs-58751.html
Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #25

Interesting topic.....

We have been using Kirkland / Costco TP for years...'septic safe' and we've had no problems clogging.

As others have said .."water" ..is the key additive.
When flushing use lots of water, this way if the solids are covered with water it helps reduce odours .
Then when it's about 3/4 full top up the tank with water and open the valve full...using the hydro flush if you have one.

Also using the 'water softener / laundry soap / bleach' mixture every time you empty your tanks will keep them clean and less odour.
It is NOT necessary to use those expensive RV Holding tank products....it is not a septic tank in our RV's...the waste is not held long enough to do the break down process...that is why they are called 'holding tanks'.

-Islander-
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #26
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It's called "Preventive Maintenance".
Exactly. No "why does my tank say it's full when I just drained it" questions here. I know it's not paper on the sensors if I get that...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #27

"4mula1fan" ..... well I can suggest a couple of reasons your tank gauge is not reading properly:

#1 if it's not paper sticking to the probes....it's what ever else you put in there creating the false reading.

Do you have a rinse system built into your tank ? If , yes, have it turned on full while you empty your tank.
Try filling and emptying your tank a couple of times after dumping the solids.

When you move to the next site , or home, add the solution ...1/2 cup water softener + 1/2 cup powder laundry detergent.... fill the tank about 1/3 full.... this will slosh around while you drive cleaning the inside of the tank...and the probes.
The water softener will stick to the sides of the tank making them slippery for the next load to slide out leaving less stuck to the walls.
Believe me.... this works.... for black and grey tanks.

#2 Possibly the probe wires are shorting out on the outside of the tank causing the false reading.
This would not surprise me coming from Forest River.
In my case I had the opposite problem.... my black tank would only read 'zero' .
I tried everything, rinsing and rinsing etc. the tank, with no results.
I removed a section of the under-belly and found that the 3 probe wires were nicely sliced from the factory.
When they fitted the under-belly cover around the discharge pipe the knife blade caught the wires and severed them.

Even if the holding tank gauges are not 100% accurate it's all we have to go by....so it's kind of 'good' that we keep the probes clean and working the best we can.

Good luck
-Islander-
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #28

Here is one of many test see if it helps the dry butt issue. Sure there is alot more besides the one the members did a couple of years ago. Do you oen test but remember ths is plain water and no chemicals to help break down the soilds to. Hope it helps someone.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #29

Kirkland paper, lotsa water and the blue tank treatment from Walmart.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
"4mula1fan" ..... well I can suggest a couple of reasons your tank gauge is not reading properly...
We've had 2 new Flagstaff trailers with gauges in them and the black tank gauges never were accurate in either of them. The other tanks were ok, but neither black tank were even close. Both read 1/3 when we brought them home from the dealer and neither had had anything in them but clear water. I even sloped the trailer so the tank outlet was down hill on both trailers making sure they were empty. I just make it a point to empty them every 5-7 days and then put 3-4 gallons of water/Pinesol/SuperClean mixture back in them after emptying. I always tow with this solution/mixture and empty as soon as we park and connect to a sewer.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

We use angel soft. Had our last tt for 3 1/2 years. No issues with it or the fiver using Angel soft. As others said, antiseptic safe tp is fine just use lots of water and proper tank management.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Some teddy brand that is soft from Costco. If bears can use it surely I can!!!
X2 what Brian Said - or Northern from Sam's Club if it is on sale. Same stuff we use at our home - oh, and we use the flushable "wipes" as well.

We use OC's chemical mix in a Blue Streak (1/3 Pinesol, 1/3 SuperClean, 1/3 Water + I put a healthy shot of Dawn - and ONLY Dawn dishwashing liquid in the mix).

If we are camping for a few days-week, I will "pre-treat" the black tank with 2 gal of water and 1 cup of RV-digest-it 1-2 days before we leave to develop a good colony in the tank.

When we do the final dump at the end of a trip I will often leave the tank turbo cleaner on for 30-45 min after the dump of black+grey+galley.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, 4 pages just on TP! (Like many of you, we've always used the RV brand...either Wally World's or Scotts.) I'll have to find a glass jar and do the shake test on our regular stuff.

Butt I will spare you all any putrid, foul, or whiffy comments! ;-)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #34

We generally use Scotts single ply that you buy from the grocery are but have also used the same septic safe 2 ply we use in the house (we are on a septic).

Most papers will break down pretty quickly if they can free float in water. The problem isn't so much the type of paper but the paper to water ratio. This means you need to be more cognizant about the quantity of paper you use in the RV than you do at home.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
"4mula1fan" ..... well I can suggest a couple of reasons your tank gauge is not reading properly:...
We've had 2 new Flagstaff trailers with the gauges and neither set of gauges read the black tank properly from day one and neither had had anything but clear water put in them. The fresh water, and galley tanks were close, but the black tanks never read empty even when they were new. I just empty them about every 5-7 days and always put 3 or 4 gallons back in them after emptying them.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #36
Done with this

My sensors and readings are fine because we won't put paper in the dang toilet...If they start reading wrong, it will be more than paper stuck to the sensors.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #37
Always Learning

And like everything there is no one size fits all; my sensors read just fine and we put non-RV toilet paper down ours (I'm fact, the toilet paper did the worst in our tests compared to all others).
Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #38

Use what we used in the house.....Charmin
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And like everything there is no one size fits all; my sensors read just fine and we put non-RV toilet paper down ours (I'm fact, the toilet paper did the worst in our tests compared to all others).
X's 2 ependydad, and I use 2 ply all the time, I don't use a separate container like people do in Mexico that's the first place I ever seen that done. Lived in Mexico for over a year and that is common there. I also use my Black flush for about a 1/2 hr after I dump no problem with sensors at all. I had a bought a boat and had what is called an off shore delv. 3 miles out at sea. Was allowed by law to bring it back in the USA SF, CA for 30 days and then had to take it out of the USA for 6 months.
Sailed down to Ensenada Mexico left it there for 6 mos, and never had to pay the 20,000 some dollar sales tax on it. They had a whole Marina of boats doing the same thing as me......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote