Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #21

Most of what I would offer has been said. I found it interesting that when I did the "single sheet in a cup of water, shake and check in 24 hours," that the camper TP didn't break down! Second, this matter of filling the stool with water by slightly depressing the flush valve before fully depressing, is critical. Third, a clear elbow attached when dumping black water, will show lots of "stuff" left behind, even though you are using the tank rinse system. As a result, after the original dump, I shut the valve, run the rinse for 3-5 minutes, dump, with the rinse running and repeat that procedure until "stuff" quits coming out. Taking short cuts here likely, will give you "distasteful" regrets in the future.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #22

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Robertew,,,,you are a wise and experienced man!!!
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We have found that we can use regular TP but honestly, when I dump, I can see the difference between regular and RV TP. The RV TP dissolves more thoroughly.
Due to the fact it is one ply.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #24

TP in RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by judivan View Post
So My wife and I are in a discussion about the use of TP in the RV. She thinks that we can use any TP we want and I say that we have to use RV TP only!
So can you all tell me which one we should use and why? or is there even an issue here? We are new to RVing, our unit is in the driveway but we have not used it as of yet. We were going to go out next wknd but rain is in the forcast for CA, (can you believe it) Rain in CA.... We need it... Please let us know about the TP.
Thanks

I use Costco Kirkland tp and have never had a problem. I also use the drop in pods to break up the waste.
sunseeker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

And additional to using a flush... Make sure you are not distracted and forget to open up the tank to drain... Otherwise you get to reenact OLD FAITHFUL... Not that I know from experience in Florida...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #26

I guess the other posts pretty well covers it. When we bought our RV last year, the dealer did not install the TP holder because they found so much variation in where to put it (other than the bathroom). Glad they didn't because we bought one shaped like a hook, making it easy to change rolls. Our bathroom, like most, is rather small, so we placed it above shoulder height while on the throne. It is very easy to reach, yet it never interferes with movement in close quarters. The other thing that has worked for us over the years was to squeeze the roll slightly oval. It prevents the TP from unraveling while underway.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisham91402 View Post
Like mentioned already. If your not certain, take a quart jar with lid. Fill about 3/4 full with water. Add 2-3 pieces of tp and shake. If it breaks up you can use it. If its still solid, stay away from it.
I did that and the jar stayed solid
WW
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I did that and the jar stayed solid
WW
Well, if it broke up I wouldn't use it, the jagged edges would do some damage.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #29
7 Year Class A RV'er

I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me, but for the six years we've been RVing, we've always used the same TP we do in the house. It's not single ply, but it seems to do just fine. Occasionally, just like probably everyone else, we'll get some stuck on a sensor and it reads funny but no other problems. In the new RV, the rear toilet has a macerator, so everything is chewed up before it heads to the tanks anyway. We also make it a point to add a cap full of Calgon Liquid Water Softener to the tanks each time I empty them. That keeps the water sort of slick so the sides of the tank are slippery and things are less prone to stick. I also never empty the black tank until it's at least 2/3 or more full so there's adequate pressure to flush everything through. Just my experience, not saying anyone else is wrong at all. All the other posts I've seen are correct, too. But you absolutely do NOT need the expensive single ply used newspaper that CW and others market for $2 per roll, that's for sure.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We did a science fair experiment and concluded that you can use whatever feels best on your bum. Just use plenty of water!

Been fulltiming for 9 months now and 50-100 nights in the years prior- no issues.
What brand did you find was your preference? (Science fair wise of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
We have some friends who use that system with the "tower" next to the toilet. I always make sure I've pee'd before we go visit them. Nasty if you ask me.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertew View Post
Most of what I would offer has been said. I found it interesting that when I did the "single sheet in a cup of water, shake and check in 24 hours," that the camper TP didn't break down! Second, this matter of filling the stool with water by slightly depressing the flush valve before fully depressing, is critical. Third, a clear elbow attached when dumping black water, will show lots of "stuff" left behind, even though you are using the tank rinse system. As a result, after the original dump, I shut the valve, run the rinse for 3-5 minutes, dump, with the rinse running and repeat that procedure until "stuff" quits coming out. Taking short cuts here likely, will give you "distasteful" regrets in the future.
X2 again.....RINSE THOROUGHLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me, but for the six years we've been RVing, we've always used the same TP we do in the house. It's not single ply, but it seems to do just fine. Occasionally, just like probably everyone else, we'll get some stuck on a sensor and it reads funny but no other problems. In the new RV, the rear toilet has a macerator, so everything is chewed up before it heads to the tanks anyway. We also make it a point to add a cap full of Calgon Liquid Water Softener to the tanks each time I empty them. That keeps the water sort of slick so the sides of the tank are slippery and things are less prone to stick. I also never empty the black tank until it's at least 2/3 or more full so there's adequate pressure to flush everything through. Just my experience, not saying anyone else is wrong at all. All the other posts I've seen are correct, too. But you absolutely do NOT need the expensive single ply used newspaper that CW and others market for $2 per roll, that's for sure.

More water and then.......more water....it appears that the engineering of RV black tanks would not make a water conservationist happy.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
X2 on the Calgon. CW sells 1 ply toilet paper and calls it RV safe and sells it for $1.50/$2.00. The local market sells 4 rolls for a buck twenty five.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #32

I was doing a online order with CW and need like 12 more dollars to get free shipping and save like 35.00 so added like 6 packs of toilet paper at two buck pack to get free shipping. I won't run out for while...
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #33

Ok!
I know I'm going to regret this....

What's the tower...?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #34

Wondering myself Ken,
Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

Trash can?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Ok!
I know I'm going to regret this....

What's the tower...?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
The container for "soiled" toilet paper that some people do not flush down.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I was doing a online order with CW and need like 12 more dollars to get free shipping and save like 35.00 so added like 6 packs of toilet paper at two buck pack to get free shipping. I won't run out for while...
That's a good price.
Thetford Quick-Dissolve RV Toilet Paper - Thetford 20804D - Toilet Accessories - Camping World
Thetford Aqua-Soft 2-Ply RV Toilet Paper - Thetford 03300D - Toilet Accessories - Camping World
Old 03-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Must go through a lot of containers.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Putting toilet paper in a trash can is very common in parts of Europe since the plumbing won't handle the paper. Spent 4 years in Germany and never did get use to it...
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Must go through a lot of containers.
I don't know, all our paper goes down the "crapper"
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote