Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Tongue Weight and WDH

I just ordered a Sherline Trailer Tongue Scale. The pamphlet that comes with it seems very detailed but my question is, once I get a measurement from the scale do I have to add the weight of the elements of my WDH (drop hitch bar and round bars) to that measurement?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBCamper View Post
I just ordered a Sherline Trailer Tongue Scale. The pamphlet that comes with it seems very detailed but my question is, once I get a measurement from the scale do I have to add the weight of the elements of my WDH (drop hitch bar and round bars) to that measurement?
No. The weight of the WDH is carried by the TV, not the TT.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

A follow up question. The instructions on getting your Gross Trailer Weight says “Weigh the trailer by having just the trailer wheels on the scale. You do not need to disconnect it from the vehicle. Add this weight to the weight at the tongue measured by the SherlineTM scale and you have your gross trailer weight.”

Does having the WDH round bars engaged when having the trailer on the scale change that equation?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBCamper View Post
The instructions on getting your Gross Trailer Weight says “Weigh the trailer by having just the trailer wheels on the scale. You do not need to disconnect it from the vehicle. Add this weight to the weight at the tongue measured by the SherlineTM scale and you have your gross trailer weight.”

Does having the WDH round bars engaged when having the trailer on the scale change that equation?
No. Keep the WDH bars engaged when you roll on to the CAT scale. This will record your actual "on the road" tow vehicle front/rear axle weights and trailer axle weights. As the Sherline instructions describe, you then add the tongue weight measured by the Sherline scale to the trailer axle weight recorded by the CAT scale. The result is your gross trailer weight.

Another method to obtain gross trailer weight is to get two tickets at the CAT scale: one with the trailer hitched up, and the second with just the tow vehicle. (Obviously, the difference equals gross trailer weight.) CAT scales only charge $2 for the second "weigh-in" if done within 24 hours of the first weigh ticket. I've calculated my trailer's gross weight both ways: the two weigh tickets method, and the process described in the Sherline instructions. Either method provides the same result.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #5

Unfortunately I don’t have a CAT scale near me so I am hoping to drive through my DOT weigh station when it is closed. They leave the scale on (it shows a weight, at least.) But I can’t unhook and come back to weigh just the TV. Fortunately, the last time I went to the landfill I got an outgoing weight on the truck with the DW and two dogs so pretty close to my tow weight. The only thing I didn’t note was how full the gas tank was. But I do have a pretty close idea of my TV weight and now just need my Gross Trailer Weight.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Most, if not all, DOT scales will give you a steer axle, a drive axle, and a trailer axle weight all at the same time. Some may also give you individual wheel weights.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #7

Tounge scale

Yes, you add the weight of the WDH to what your Shoreline scales read. Not CAT scale. B&W hitches have good instructions on how to weigh @ CAT scale, but not what you were asking.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight