Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Site Team

Too many earthquakes!

3 quakes in just over an hour and I almost wish I were hone just instead of camping. The bigger one was about 5.1 followed by by a 3.4 quake within 15 minutes.

I'm at San Clemente state beach in southern CA. I'm in the habit of getting gas in the truck after setting up camp which I did yesterday. This might be an interesting night.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #2

I just read this on the news. Hope that's all there is going to be. Stay safe!
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #3

Safe journey home Terier.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
3 quakes in just over an hour and I almost wish I were hone just instead of camping. The bigger one was about 5.1 followed by by a 3.4 quake within 15 minutes.

I'm at San Clemente state beach in southern CA. I'm in the habit of getting gas in the truck after setting up camp which I did yesterday. This might be an interesting night.

Smart move on your part to fuel up the truck after setting up camp.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Camping can be a real adventure at times on its own. But earthquakes
Stay safe!
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Never know when you need to make a fast exit so I rather have a full tank of gas. If nothing else there's one less step to do before departing.

There's still aftershocks but the shaking had calm down here for me. I did consider going home to check on things or even cutting camping short but the news mentioned to expect slower traffic due to over passes being checked for safety.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Terier, having experienced quite a few earthquakes in the 55 years i've lived in Cali, i'd rather be camping during an earthquake, than at home.
my trailer has a suspension, but my house does not.
plus there's no danger of broken gas lines.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Bikendan,
That's a valid point about gas lines and all. I have live here is SoCal for almost of my life and been through many quakes including some of the larger ones. I just rather be closed by to love ones & pets.

Last night after each aftershock some of the news stations were harping on the chance of a larger quake within the next 3 days. Today its like a whole new story.

Now today seems like a regular day at the campground.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

My daughter in law is in San Onfre and is on her own while my son is deployed. I'm sure she's wishing the earthquakes would stop. Everyone be safe!!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Wow! I just looked at my earthquake app and you all have had quite a few quakes the last few days.
We just had a 3.7 about 20 minutes ago here in central OK. But only about 8 the last 48 hours, far less than ya'll. We have had boocoo's of them the last 3 years, but our largest was only about a 5.3-5.7..... can't remember for sure, was a couple years ago.

Very disconcerning feeling a quake for sure, you guys can keep them, I'd rather have our tornados and hail.

Have a good trip and hopefully not too much more shakin' for ya!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Just counted....looks like cali. has had 24 quakes in the same 48-60 hours we had 8.
Too much shakin' going on for sure!
This stuff is getting crazy!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
Site Team

Few years ago we had a earthquake here Il.. The center of the quake was less then 5 miles from our home.
Small at 3.8 if I remember right, it did crack and shift some of the concrete patio. Shook the heck out of our waterbed waking us up to the sound of a freight train going by right outside the window.

We all woke up from it, the kids were saying what was that??. In minutes I got on the USGS web site to see we just had a 4.3 later reduced to 3.8.

I never forget the morning!
Some say the quake we had was triggered by blasting at a quarry near Chi.
At least with tornado's we can go to the basement.

You folks stay safe quakeland.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Very disconcerning feeling a quake for sure, you guys can keep them, I'd rather have our tornados and hail.
o.k., earthquakes like this happen every 20-30 years. how often does Oklahoma have tornadoes, ice storms, damaging hail?
how many homes are destroyed every year from tornadoes and how many deaths? i think that there were about 12 homes red-tagged in the quake area but they are still standing.

i'll take the occasional shaker, that cracks a handful of homes, every 20 years instead of year after year after year of tornadoes destroying towns and communities.

as a firefighter/EMT in Calif., i wonder if you could compare the casualty numbers, over the past 20 years from earthquakes out here, to the numbers that result from tornadoes in Oklahoma.

by the way, my family are Okies and still have many that live in Oklahoma.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
B47

The next county West of us (Parker) had several earthquakes of varying magnitudes in the past several months,but none recently. The residents of that county are blaming fraking as the cause of them. They say they never had earthquake activity until wells started being drilled for oil/gas exploration.

The oil/gas people are denying any drilling activity had caused earthquakes. The state has now hired some experts to investigate.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
o.k., earthquakes like this happen every 20-30 years. how often does Oklahoma have tornadoes, ice storms, damaging hail?
how many homes are destroyed every year from tornadoes and how many deaths? i think that there were about 12 homes red-tagged in the quake area but they are still standing.

i'll take the occasional shaker, that cracks a handful of homes, every 20 years instead of year after year after year of tornadoes destroying towns and communities.

as a firefighter/EMT in Calif., i wonder if you could compare the casualty numbers, over the past 20 years from earthquakes out here, to the numbers that result from tornadoes in Oklahoma.

by the way, my family are Okies and still have many that live in Oklahoma.
Well I don't know why you even want to argue about this. Its not like anybody can do anything about it, and at least we usually have an idea its gonna storm several days before hand.

But we have very low death rates due to being able to predict tornados, and the fact that we are so prepared with shelters and drills.
Looks like from what I've read that quake in la in '94 killed about 58 and 1500 with major injuries and over16,000 that were treated at hospitals. Our injured totals over the past 20 years are probably still far from that total #.
Im out.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #16

Gotta a question for you. If you are in an area where you are expecting a earthquake may happen or aftershocks are simply being waited to happen. Do you retract your stabilizer jacks and allow the trailer to ride out the shock on the tires and suspension where the greater part of the unrest can be absorbed without undue stress directly being transferred to the frame of the RV? Or would it be even better to have the stabilizer jacks retraced and the RV hitched to the tow vehicle where you don't even have the front jack or landing gear in direct contact with the ground.

Just thinking out loud.....or well at least through my fingers.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
Site Team

2 years ago we went to southern Il. to visit some friends who run a campground.
While I was helping him do some duties in the cg both our smartphones received a tornado alert warning to take cover immediately.It was still a nice sunny day then. Most all the campers got the same warning and folks were heading to the shelter.We stop at my camper and grabbed the weather radio for constant updates.
By the time we got there the sirens had started go off all around from nearby towns.
2 tornado's came very close to us and 1 touched down a few mile away from the cg.
One hell of storm for sure.
I don't really know how well they can predict a earth quake with any accuracy before one strikes (not aftershocks)to warn folks yet.
Either way they are both scary and dangerous.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Well I don't know why you even want to argue about this. Its not like anybody can do anything about it, and at least we usually have an idea its gonna storm several days before hand.

But we have very low death rates due to being able to predict tornados, and the fact that we are so prepared with shelters and drills.
Looks like from what I've read that quake in la in '94 killed about 58 and 1500 with major injuries and over16,000 that were treated at hospitals. Our injured totals over the past 20 years are probably still far from that total #.
Im out.

i apologize if it seemed like i'm arguing, i'm not.
i'm just trying to discuss perceptions about earthquakes from those in other states.

the reality is that even the worse earthquake we've had out here in a long time, was the '94 Northridge one. i was working as a firefighter/EMT during that one.
as you said, 58 people lost their lives in that one. and that's the last one i can remember that lives were lost in.
but from 1994-2012, tornadoes have taken nearly 1700 lives, even with early warning systems and our ability to predict them. in 2011 alone, there were 553 deaths, due to tornadoes.

yes, disasters are terrible things and it doesn't really matter which ones are worse, if you've had to go thru one or lost someone to one.

maybe i'm a little thin-skinned about it, since i'm a first responder out here.
sorry if i came across wrong.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #19

Hey iam camping up the shore at doheny beach ... Dana piont.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Camping can be a real adventure at times on its own. But earthquakes
Stay safe!
Carl

I've never been in a sizeable earthquake. I haven't been lucky enough to feel our tiny ones here in Michigan. But I think I'd rather be in the camper! It can't collapse. I'm camping in tornado alley next week and that terrifies me!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote