Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Too many slides?

We are trying to decide on floor plan / feature for our new 5er. Can there be too many slides for practical camping where you move every few days or need to boondock.

How about access when the slides are in? My thinking is that the more moving parts there are the more chance of problems. Also the kitchen in a slide with the plumbing etc just doesn't seem like the best idea.

Love to hear thoughts as we are new to the hard wall camping world.

holoholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
My Mini Lite has a kitchen slide. No plumbing issues so far (1 yr). My Coleman Sequoia had a swing-level galley. Had it 20 yrs with no plumbing issues.

Based on my reading of this forum over the years, I'm more worried about the slide mechanisms than the plumbing.

1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
Look at the Cedar Creeks models most have three slides, some models have more but three should be adequate. Most of the units with three slides have a center island where the kitchen sink is placed in the island, therefore the water lines do not move. We can also access the bathroom with no problems which is more important than anything else when closed up.

On the 34RE the refrigerator should be able to be access when the slides are in. With the 34RL which we have; we can access the refrigerator but only one person at a time and extremely tight with the slide in.

Our new Cedar Creek takes less time to open up and close then our older 2010 318SAB Cougar. Even my DW comment on how fast this is now. She likes the idea of pushing one button and the unit self levels. We push another button and all three slides will extend or retract.

In 28 days we traveled 4,800 miles and stayed at 10 different campgrounds, this fall with no issue in setting up or taking down. Some nights we just pull in and drop the front legs and extend out the slides, others we un-hooked and level up the trailer for 3 to 6 nights. Set-up and take down is a joy with the Cedar Creek compared to our other two 5er's we had.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping
The short answer is you can never have too many slides.

The long answer, if you are worried about the slide mechanisms breaking etc....that is what extended warranty is for.

Just make sure you purchase your unit from a reputable dealership so that if there are any issues they will take care of it for you.
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Team
We have 4 slides on our current fiver. Sure with more slides there are more chances for something to go wrong as well as more places for water to get in but the amount of extra room you gain in the trailer itself is well worth it IMO.

We can't get very far into the trailer when the slides are in but the times we've actually needed to have been few and far between. It really depends on the layout of the trailer.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
My previous Cardinal 3800FL had five slides and we loved it. Never a problem in the three years we owned it. Decided we wanted to go back to a motorhome so we traded it for a Georgetown XL 377TS with three slides. A little less room inside than the the fifth wheel but tons more outside storage with all the pass thru baggage compartments below.
Georgetown XL 377TS
USAF-- CMSGT Retired.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
We have 2 both on drivers side didn't want any on camping side there in my way and less awning
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
When traveling we want access to the refer and bathroom without putting a slide out. Our tow vehicle limits the weight & that limits the # of slides. Good luck choosing a floor plan.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
I have 5 slides and love everyone of them!
Wumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
We have 3 slides and love how it opens up a small motorhome. Everything is easy to get at in ours with the slides in except that the bed isn't a walk around with the bedroom slide in. One of the main things that I hated about our SOB fifth wheel was the need to put the slide at least part way out to access the kitchen and bathroom plus the need to haul one of the recliner rockers to and fro every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out