Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

Tool Box and 5th Wheel towing?

With an extended cab F250, the back seat area was cluttered up with "stuff". My solution was to purchase a toolbox and install it in the bed of the truck. Guess what? On steep, uphill, tight turns, the front of the 5th clips the toolbox. It just barely scratched the front corner of the 5th.

I was considering changing out the toolbox for another one that sits on the floor of the bed, and not on top of the bed rail. But I have a fair amount of $$ in the current toolbox.

Then I discovered I could raise my 5th wheel hitch one more notch, about 1½". I did that. We will be going out for Memorial Day weekend, so I will watch carefully and see if I now have the clearance I need, and if the 5th sits level enough to not negatively impact towing. If not, the toolbox comes out!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Chest type box, sits below the bed rails.

Couple of guys at my work have short bed quad cab Dodges with the same type, no issues at all.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
With an extended cab F250, the back seat area was cluttered up with "stuff". My solution was to purchase a toolbox and install it in the bed of the truck. Guess what? On steep, uphill, tight turns, the front of the 5th clips the toolbox. It just barely scratched the front corner of the 5th.

I was considering changing out the toolbox for another one that sits on the floor of the bed, and not on top of the bed rail. But I have a fair amount of $$ in the current toolbox.

Then I discovered I could raise my 5th wheel hitch one more notch, about 1½". I did that. We will be going out for Memorial Day weekend, so I will watch carefully and see if I now have the clearance I need, and if the 5th sits level enough to not negatively impact towing. If not, the toolbox comes out!
Shouldn't be too difficult to mod the tool box so it sits lower on the rails. Just notch it about 2" to fit around the bed rails.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

I use this one from Northern tool...about 25% of the cost of a metal one...I bolted to the bed of my TV...holds up great and fits perfect

Click image for larger version

Name:	349131_700x700.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	52557

Tags
5th wheel, towing, wheel