Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Tornado Destruction In Hershey PA

While on the forum repling to a thread the other night I received a phone call form the Manager at Thousand Trails in Hershey PA where we have a seasonal site. The phone call was to inform me that a tornado had touch down in the campground and cause major damage in the park...Awning were riped of of campers, trees were up rooted and fell on a number of campers live power lines had fallen and were laying across peoples cars. One section of the campgroud was just about distroyed where there are a lot of trees covering that section. At that time no one was allowed to leave or enter the park. The power was restored just last night.
Last weekend we removed our camper from the site to bring it home so that we could get it ready for our trip to Mytle Beach.
I am happy to say that our site was untouched, my golf cart and other things that we left there was not effected, but as far as my fellow campers go my heart go's out to them, I just hope they have enough insurances and from what I understand there are no reports of anyone getting hurt.
Some members of Thousand Trials has conntacted me and have pic, as soon as I can I will post them.....During this time of the year keep an eye out, watch the sky and pay attention to the weather while you are having fun camping and this may be a good time for all to think about what you would do if you are getting ready to get hit with something like this....NEWBIES this is for you as well....Becareful.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

Sorry for all of those affected by this and am glad to hear no one was hurt. Everything else can be replaced, although hard for some if no ins. You know how close campers are and how helpful they are, especially to other campers. I can picture them all helping one another now.

2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Tornado Damages Lebanon County Campground: Storm Damages Thousand Trails Campground - WPMT
Old 06-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #4

Our thoughts are with them but as "ILoveCamping" said "thankfully no one was hurt". We had the same situation north of us at Midland Ontario and similarly there was lots of damage in a trailer park but no one was hurt as it was midweek and most people were home. Old Guys
Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #5

Pic from tornado #1

These pic were on my computer when I returned from Mrytle Beach. We had pull our camper off of the site just two days prior to the storm. One of the pic shows a golf cart that is covered and a green swing and some other stuff in the site this happens to be our site, It was untouched by the tornado. We are taking our camper to the campground this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tornado at campground.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2835   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2837   Click image for larger version

Name:	#4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2838   Click image for larger version

Name:	#5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2839  

Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #6

pic from tornado #2

pic #7 is our site. The one in the middle of these three
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2840   Click image for larger version

Name:	#7.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2841   Click image for larger version

Name:	#8.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2842  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It's a shame how destructive old Mother Nature can be. Just glad you already had your camper at home. I feel sorry for those others that were not so fortunate. It really looks like a nice place.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Our thoughts are with them but as "ILoveCamping" said "thankfully no one was hurt". We had the same situation north of us at Midland Ontario and similarly there was lots of damage in a trailer park but no one was hurt as it was midweek and most people were home. Old Guys
I was in Oshawa when Midland got hit. My trailer was up in Apsley & there were tornado warnings for the area. I was concerned that the "danger tree" that we were planning on cutting down, might get blown on to the TT.

We got up there the next day & talking to friends they said that it rained really hard, but no wind to speak of. Our woodlot 4 miles south of our Apsley home was hit by a tornado in '06. That was the same night the trailer park in Combermere was devastated.

While driving to MIS in June we saw the damage west of Dundee where a tornado had hit the weekend before.

Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote