Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
This is really great info...thanks for sharing.
I have a WX Radio with SAME technology. I also have Motorola walkies that receive WX that we take camping. I have a scanner too, but it stays home.

The new SALEM has WX on the stereo...which I haven't even tried out yet. Better do it soon!

Last season...we ran from tornadoes on two nights on the same trip. The first night...they evacuated the entire campground as it hit. The campground was damaged a bit...and I saw A LOT of awnings ripped completely off motorhomes/trailers. It's unbelievable what wind can do to an awning!

Have a plan for bad weather...very good advice. Trying to figure out where to go when your butt is on the line is not fun!

Be safe out there!
Where can I get a Noaa radio? I've looked in a few stores and don't see them....and I live in Tornado Alley!!

Pat from MO

Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Cyber Phrenologist

Radio Shack usually has several. I just checked Best Buy (online!) and they have a couple of Midlands that I would recommend. Just make sure they have the SAME warning system. Any good electronics store may have them. Then you could Google "NOAA weather radio" and see what comes up. Oregon Scientific is another brand people like.

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #13

Thank you for checking on this for me.

Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

In light of the recent bumpy weather we have had for the last month or so, and that tornado season is upon us, and we have lots of new members, I thought it was time to dust off this old thread for review.

I mentioned on another forum (Open Roads Radio, sister to this site) that I thought Trailer Life and Woodalls should list the "Storm Shelter Capacity" of all campgrounds they review. Maybe we should lobby TL and W to do this for us!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #15

Ahhh Yes, tornados. It may rain a lot up here in the northwest but at least we don't have the tornados. I'll take the rain. Spent 3 months in Oklahoma City a long time back and didn't sleep a wink when there was thunderstorms in the area. It just means a whole different thing down there than it does for us.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #16

I took these pics last summer at the cg I where usually camp. I guess I was lucky because my TT was in the shop getting hail damage repaired so I wasn't camping that weekend.
People were in their trailers at the time but no one was seriously hurt. Not enough warning for people to get to a safe place.

The last pic is the boat docks. That's three different docks shoved together. My pontoon was somewhere in the middle of all that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tornado 3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	1430  
Attached Images

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
Cyber Phrenologist

That looks like "straight line wind" or "micro burst" damage rather than tornado, for all the difference that makes. What happens is a super cell thunderstorm is trying to make a tornado, and it sucks up a large bubble or balloon of air and shoves it up around 50,000 feet or so where it gets chilled, dense and heavy. Then the super cell gets a little disorganised and drops the "heavy air bubble" like a water balloon onto a sidewalk. SPLAT!! You get a high velocity downdraft that sends out desructive straight line winds, and piles stuff up in big heaps, like the docks. A tornado would have scattered it every where. (this is a very simplistic explanation...not all that accurate but easy to understand.)

Moot point, however. Your stuff is still smashed, and a SAME radio would have alerted these folks to seek shelter either way because doppler radar would have seen the signature of the tornado trying to form and signaled the alert. Sorry about your boat and glad you weren't there to watch it happen!

Which brings to mind the question, If my trailer/RV tipped over, how would I get out? The door is now a skylight, or worse, the rig is laying on the door. The only window in the rear wall is way to small for egress.

Stack up some stuff and crawl out the bedroom escape window?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #18

Thank you for this post. I found it very helpful. I had been thinking of a noaa radio but had not acted on it yet. I will have one before we take off on Friday. The radios will make great easter basket fillers for the kids also. Although we usually get severe weather notice on our fire pagers. It would be nice to know the weather when we are not close to home. We have had some scary storms go over us when we was camping in years past. I am thankful for the large windows in the back and sides of our fiver. The top vent looks a little small for me to pass through to get out of. But I bet that in a pinch I would fit due to the loss of bodily functions control at that time.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Which brings to mind the question, If my trailer/RV tipped over, how would I get out? The door is now a skylight, or worse, the rig is laying on the door. The only window in the rear wall is way to small for egress.

Stack up some stuff and crawl out the bedroom escape window?
Interesting....I had never thought about that.

We have 2 escape windows on the opposite side from the door, so 1 of those would have to suffice. As far as climbing to them, the bed base would hopefully work in 1 window, but I have no idea with the second 1. We have a huge back glass in our SV 263, so I imagine that puppy would probably shatter if the trailer turned over, giving us an easy out. If it didn't shatter, and it was no other way out, 1 of my table post is going through that, as the trailer is probably totaled anyway.

Even to use the regular door in a turn over situation, you would probably have to stck some some stuff to get out of it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #20

They officially called it an EF-1 tornado. I also thought straight winds when I saw the damage. No trees uprooted and very little debris. Like you said, radio, when your trailer is laying on it's side, what difference does it make?

Only about a half dozen trailers had damage, with 4 of those turned on their side. It was pure luck that no one was seriously hurt.

People at the marina said they did see a small funnel go across the lake. They also said the warning came less than a minute before it hit. They said the docks and marina moved towards the southeast first and then ended up west of their original location.

Almost all of the boats escaped with little or no damage. Our boat was on a lift and did not sustain any damage, but our storage shed was destroyed and we lost some fishing equipmet.

Here's a few more pics.
Attached Images

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote