Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Does it push or does the app have to be open?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
It is four apps, one for each storm type. I believe it does push notifications. It gives a visual notice and you can set them for audible notice. The siren gets the attention of all around you.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #22

After seeing what a tornado does first hand to my Families homes back in St. Louis in 2011, I have a new appreciation of the power of these storms. When its time to load up and head out, the first consideration is weather at my house. Last year we actually left a day late for a trip to a spot north of St. Louis due to severe weather and wouldn't you know it damage at the campground when we arrived the following day. The folks that rode it out were lucky. This season we nearly took a direct hit at Kansas Speedway...Thursday night the storms rolled south and the light show was impressive and Race day Saturday night the whole track missed a storm that put down a tornado literately 10 miles away. From the grandstands you could see the impressive system as it moved in to KC.

I also use the NOAA app and it has become a must have. The first thing we do when we set up is get our bearings and seek out a shelter. It is priority #1 for my family. Then Beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	133.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	56434   Click image for larger version

Name:	058.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	56435  
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
Alleged curmudgeon

Back to the OP's question, when the sirens sound, my inclination is a hybrid of the bail out and run through the rain option and Herk's "load the TV and get ready to roll" option. I have absolutely no desire to get caught in the camper in high winds, let alone a tornado.

Had our first occasion to make the call in April of this year when camping at Van Buren State Park in South Haven, Michigan. It was around mid-day, raining, and we were huddled in the TT eating while I watched the radar. I noted what appeared to be a hook echo out over Lake Michigan what amounted to about 15 miles pretty much due west of us. Decided it looked like that little storm was going to slide by us, though, and told my wife, son, DIL, and daughter I thought we should be ok. Two minutes later, sirens! Immediately ordered everyone to the cars, and they were all loaded (with a 3 year old and two infants) in about 1 minute flat. We ran out and jumped in the cars while I dialed the park office. As we started the cars and our convoy began rolling out of the CG, the ranger answered the phone and said the sirens were from the nearby nuclear power plant and part of an extended emergency systems testing they do once each month.

The CG was mostly empty (it was early April), but we were the only campsite out of about 20 which was evacuated. People sat at their picnic tables (sirens blaring) and watched us run, load, and roll.

I'm sure nobody knew what the sirens were, they just all hung out at their campsites wondering what was up.

Don't just set there folks. Have a drill!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote