Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Toronto area to Disney World

My family and I are planning our first trip to Disney, and I am trying to decide on 2 days driving or 3. First long haul with the new TT. Six and four year olds. Any advice? We will be going in April '09.. THANKS .

'12 F-250 6.2L
'09 Surveyor SV291
Equal-i-zer WD
Realer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
We went to Disney In 2000, It was our 3rd camping trip and it was our first long haul. It was approx 14 hour of driving and nervous, white knuckles, sweaty palms, and had to go to the bathroom a lot. We traveled approx 500 miles and stopped for an over night stay at South Of the Boarder. This gave my Wife and a chance for a our knuckles to return back to there normal color and our palms to dry, the kids also had a break and went swimming in there indoor pool. The next day we left at approx 7am and the second half of the trip was not so bad, we kinda got use to the open road thing. After 14 days the return trip back home went pretty smooth. The only problem we had is that when we stopped the first time to get gas in VA my truck would not start well come to find out the starter over heated that's because the heat shield for the starter was missing "I bought the truck used and didn't know" To make this short, I had to keep the truck running the hole time while traveling to and from Disney. Once the starter cooled down then the truck would restart but it toke too long after filling up, We are talking at the end of June, temp were hot which didn't help.....Suggest, take your time, and stop someplace over night to give everyone a break, kids can get to you while you are driving and that is somthing you don"t need along with everything else. This worked for us... Please be safe and enjoy you trip

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
1300 miles, roughly 22-23 hours pulling a trailer, 4 and 6 year old kiddos.........

3 days.

You have roughly the same distance I have and I made the trip this past August. We took 5 days getting there to visit friends along the way. Stayed for 6 days and made it in 2 days coming back with 1 stop at a friends place who was about at the halfway point. My kiddos are a bit older (9 and 10) and have been camping/traveling pretty much all there lives so a 10-12 hour day in the truck while not the best day for them is doable. We had planned on 3 days to get back home but it just worked out better for us to make it in 2.

Like rockwood06 stated... Play it safe and enjoy the trip.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Head Rambler
Everybody's different about how much time behind the wheel they're comfortable with. Greg has a good estimate on the total time it'll take. If it doesn't bother you to drive 12 to 13 hours a day you can make it in two days. If you drive less than that you'll need more than 2. I have made 1000 miles (1610km) in a day before but it doesn't bother me to be in the drivers seat fo 16+ hours. I have good friends that can't drive more than about 6 or 7 hours before they're beat. The best plan would be to allot 3 days. That way you don't have to worry about falling behind.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote