Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

Total Loss?...Has anyone encountered this?

We are seasonal campers that keep our rig at a lake from March to October every year. This is the third year we have had out camper and found this on Saturday (Happy Fathers day to me!). I am meeting with the insurance adjuster this week to determine next steps. Has anyone dealt with this kind of water damage before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	111667  

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
We are seasonal campers that keep our rig at a lake from March to October every year. This is the third year we have had out camper and found this on Saturday (Happy Fathers day to me!). I am meeting with the insurance adjuster this week to determine next steps. Has anyone dealt with this kind of water damage before?
Do you know what Brand & model # this is,we don't? Youroo!!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My apologies...

2013 Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK

-Bill Thomas
Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Twice I have dealt with water damage...albeit not quite that bad.

If the water damage was caused by an "accident" that damaged the roof or structure then the insurance will cover it. IE...tree limb falling on it..or you backed up and whacked a bridge....airplane falling from the sky....drunken zombies attacking...etc.

Now..if the leak was caused by lack of proper maintenance or a manufacturers issue then you are on your own. Or at least that is how it goes with almost any insurance. Much like a house where water damage is caused by say an ice damn. You failed to fix the issue so too bad for you.

So I would suggest you try and determine what caused the leak and pray it was from an external force or influence that "damaged" your roof first. Maybe it was hail or a tear in the roof you did not see..al that is fine. But...if it is caulking or a bad seam....ehhh....not much hope.

If it was a manufacturing defect then you get to go chase FR. I mean it is only 3 years old so in all likely hood either it is a manufacturers defect or something accidental damaged the roof or the top of an exterior wall...IMHO.

SO for me one was paid for and was totalled and the other time I ate it as it was a leak around a stanchion on the roof.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Oh boy, that is ugly. I agree with Shughey on the insurance coverage. Good luck with this, pending the composition of the floors, it could be really, really ugly/costly. Dang.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I fail to see how giving the make and model at this time helps the OP . to the OP hopefully the ins will cover it if not you have your work cut out for you . things are always reparable . it's just cost and time to do it right . you should be able to make it better then original since we all know original is sub par
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I fail to see how giving the make and model at this time helps the OP . to the OP hopefully the ins will cover it if not you have your work cut out for you . things are always reparable . it's just cost and time to do it right . you should be able to make it better then original since we all know original is sub par
make and model could alert the OP or fellow owners that there is an issue if it is a manufacturers flaw.

just like car and truck issues it starts with a few complaints but if the internet did not exist those complaints would remain localized and for the most part very very silent.

i see the need to have that info. they may not be alone.
its how crap gets identified.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

Explain Where Water Came From

Can you explain where the water came from? Roof leak, pipe failure, water heater failure?
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
Can you explain where the water came from? Roof leak, pipe failure, water heater failure?
X2

damage????? tree ??????? broken windows ?????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
X3, what failed? Water heater, broken window, burst water pipe?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

I had water damage once with a use trailer I had to replace the floor .When I did i reinforce the floor.It was From the water heater leaking.no insurance .Good Luck
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
make and model could alert the OP or fellow owners that there is an issue if it is a manufacturers flaw.

just like car and truck issues it starts with a few complaints but if the internet did not exist those complaints would remain localized and for the most part very very silent.

i see the need to have that info. they may not be alone.
its how crap gets identified.
Since the cause was not stated make and model makes no difference . the damage is done . a 3 plus yr old unit it could be a number of things . lots of questions weren't addressed , when was the last time it was used ? was water on or off ? did it rain hard ? is the H/W/H leaking ? ETC . is it a problem unique to his make and model then the make and model would be handy . since he did state the make and model what do you think it was based on that info ?
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #13

Cool Been there... 3 times

I just suffered a total loss of my TT as determined by my insurance company earlier this year. It was never determined where the leak originated, thus, there was never a discussion as to whether the fault was mine (it was not due to lack of maintenance). The insurance company paid me off for the TT (a 2008 Dutchmen Adirondack 27FB) and I have since purchased a new TT. Interestingly, what prompted me to file an insurance claim was leaking through the gasket on one corner of the slide out during a heavy, driving rain last August. However, the water damage was actually from front to rear on the *opposite* side of the camper. The damage was extensive once the dealer removed the linoleum and the black mold became visible. I did purchase the TT used and did not have an accident or strike anything while I owned it. As stated, my insurance company did not once make anyone "prove" the damage was not my fault; simply paid me off and the matter was done. I lack the skills, time, money or energy to have remediated the TT so this time around, purchased a brand new one (Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608 WS). This was my 3rd RV that was a total loss in less than 10 years (none of which were my fault). I have dubbed myself the black widow of RVs and am hopeful that I can break the cycle by purchasing a new RV this time around. Good luck and I hope your insurance company comes through for you. Mine tried to low-ball me with the initial offer, I had an appraisal done on the coach, countered and then the insurance company came correct.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

I can say that I have never had an insurance claim ever for all the different campers I have owned until last year. Had some damage after trying to get into a tight gas pump place and some bushes poked a hole in the side of the TT. After getting home I called my insurance company (Progressive) and they took such great care of me. Did the estimate and I got a check in the mail within a week. Absolutely great service and they made a customer for life. I wonder how water damage would have been different. I know in a home the insurance companies always try to get out of paying anything if they can. Kittlecat, who was your carrier?

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #15

Maybe littlecat will never tells us where the water came from ???
I have to wonder if he or she left with the pump on ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
Ambassador

Quote:
I sure hope for your sake you didn't leave the camper over the winter without taking the proper steps. Did the lake flood? Otherwise I think it's fixable, Most water heaters in RVs are compartmentalized so that the water will go out side if there's a failure. That is a lot of water though, if there's mold you may have a total loss. Good luck

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #17

Unhappy 3 total losses

My insurance company was Liberty Mutual. I have since changed insurance companies and believe I have coverage now that is RV specific vs. a car or home. To answer the other question, it turns out I purchased the RV, from a "reputable" RV dealer with the water damage already present. I experienced no leaks and the RV sustained no other damage after I purchased it until the torrential rain storm that forced water in through the slide out gasket. The RV was always properly winterized with no water left in the w/h or any other part of the RV where water should not be left. It was lack of knowledge on my behalf for buying the RV in the first place knowing what I know now. The black mold under the linoleum resulted in the insurance company writing the TT off. BTW, my first total loss was a pop-up camper that had a branch break off a tree in an ice storm and impale the roof in a number of places resulting in black mold; my 2nd total loss occurred when my TT was stolen from another "reputable" national dealer I had taken the coach for service. I strongly suspect it was an inside job as the TT was 11 years old when it was stolen (nothing special about the outside); it was what I had inside that the (suspected) serviceperson wanted (I had a solid collection of University of Michigan memorabilia, including original items, on display in the TT=irreplaceable). I hired an attorney and received a settlement from the dealer for the loss of my contents and no, they did not admit any guilt even though the police officer who reported my loss advised my attorney this particular RV dealer experiences a loss at least every 3 months as they have absolutely no security on the premises. As a result, I never, ever leave my TT anywhere without at least 1 tongue lock on, sometimes 2 tongue locks, if it is disconnected from my truck. Yep, I'm paranoid. Bottom line: if you don't have the time, skills, desire, etc. to repair your TT and the insurance company wants to write it off, do your homework to find out what that exact TT is selling for not just locally, but nationally, and advocate for the best settlement you can get from the insurance company. I wasn't willing to chance the black mold never being totally eliminated so walked away from my TT.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #18

Sounds like the right choice !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #19

to answer MOST everyone's questions...

1. I did NOT leave the water on...I turn it off every time I leave.

2. Substantial storms in the area from the last two months.....

3. 1st insurance adjuster could not identify where the water came from, 2nd guy coming out tomorrow to take a closer look.

4. Lake did not rise....I am about 60 ft from the lake elevated on a hill.

5. No leaks from water heater, faucet, or shower....

6. Roof is in excellent shape, treated every fall as per the kind folks on this forum.

The original report states no neglect on the owners part, further investigation to identify source of the leak.

-Bill Thomas
Old 06-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #20

Quote:
to answer MOST everyone's questions...

1. I did NOT leave the water on...I turn it off every time I leave.

2. Substantial storms in the area from the last two months.....

3. 1st insurance adjuster could not identify where the water came from, 2nd guy coming out tomorrow to take a closer look.

4. Lake did not rise....I am about 60 ft from the lake elevated on a hill.

5. No leaks from water heater, faucet, or shower....

6. Roof is in excellent shape, treated every fall as per the kind folks on this forum.

The original report states no neglect on the owners part, further investigation to identify source of the leak.

I would then say the 2nd option is the cause. heavy driving rain sometimes sideways can get in anywhere there is a seam. If the roof is solid, how about open roof vents or under the covers for the air conditioner or the kitchen area?

no staining on the ceiling inside?

the images show more water flow on one side vs the other. what is to the left of the water spots?