Old 09-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Total Newbie

Been searching for an RV for the better per of a year now. I'll spare you the gory details of that search except to say that the Mrs and I have narrowed down the list and one of the top five is the 30WIKSS. It has such a live able floor plan. So, thoughts and questions:

1. Tow tug is a 2015 F250 Supercab 2wd short bed with the 6.7 diesel with factory tow package (trailer and 5th wheel). I know it is quite capable of towing the 30WIKSS, but my concern is away with such a large trailer. I would add the ant-sway hitch, but want input and advice from those of you with a similar tug vehicle.
2. Any extended living campers out there that can shed light on the pros/cons of his RV for long term living (no more than 6 months)?
3. Any seasoned life hacks that keep noobs from being their own worst enemy and/or will enhance the ownership and travel/camping experience?
4. I am a TERRIBLE backerupper! Plan to visit an empty parking lot with cones to get better, but am wide open to suggestions!
5. What would you folks say is the weak link in the V-Lite?
6. On most other RVs, my rule of thumb for a fair price has been 60-75% of MSRP. Most dealers will balk, but relent after a while. Doesn't seem to be the case with V-Lite. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks for any input you all (ya'll here in GA) can offer!

Joel

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

#2. I fulltime in a non-fulltimer rig. Little things wear out quicker- for instance, I had to replace all of the drawer slides in our bunkhouse because the mini-me savages are rough on things. There's always a little quirk to everything, though. It's just part of life.

#3. Keep your sense of humor front and center. Things WILL go wrong. Otherwise, when setting up, breaking down, hitching, unhitching, the whole 9 yards. Go slow. VERY slow. Be cautious and really pay attention.

#4. Someone suggested to me a bunch of red solo cups and water to fill them. They're cheap and don't peeve you off when you run over one or a bunch. Otherwise, here are some ideas: Tips and Tricks to Backing Up | Learn To RV

#6. I used online wholesalers to find the bargain basement price. How I Negotiated for my RV | Learn To RV

--

And here are some RVing basics that might help:
Basics of RVing | Learn To RV

Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

I would also suggest that you do a search for check off list for RV's. These would include hitching up, setting up a trailer, breaking down and so forth. My wife and I have a food and misc check of list that we use every time we travel. This way we insure that we do not end up at a Walmart trying to buy something we forgot.

Also involve your wife in hitching up and un-hitching and setting up the trailer. Four eyes are better than two, this way you will have a back-up in checking things over when camping.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Also involve your wife in hitching up and un-hitching and setting up the trailer. Four eyes are better than two, this way you will have a back-up in checking things over when camping.
Fantastic advice. My wife has definitely saved us from my stupidity more than once.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

When backing, put your hand at the bottom of the wheel the move your hand in the direction you want the trailer tail to go. You want to move it left, then move your hand left, turning the wheel right.

It takes most everyone a few tries to hit their site just right. Don't let anyone kid you there. Do I nail it first try quite often? Sure, I've been backing trailers up for 25 years. Do I have to straighten it up sometimes? Absolutely. There are people in every camp ground that consider it sport to watch and see if you can back it in your site, heckling away. Ignore them, they usually can't do it either.

Best advice I can give you is to camp in the home driveway at first. You think you've got it outfitted and ready to go. Uh huh. I forgot towels, a spatula, hand soap (liquid in a pump is best, won't dry out in storage) and I'm sure a hundred other things. Since I was in the driveway, I went inside to get what I needed and wrote it on a notepad.

Also, practice hooking up and then unhooking. Again, you'll feel pressure trying to figure it out at a campground.

Biggest thing is to have fun, after all, that's what this is all about.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

Have you considered a motorhome instead of a TT? At first, I wanted to buy an 18 foot TT to pull behind our Honda Pilot. Upon researching I decided not to potentially ruin the Pilot's tranny by pulling something that big. Also, I got scared about the hitching and unhitching, and mostly about driving it on our heavily congested CA freeways. Just my own personal phobias, but we ended up buying a MH because it's all one piece.

Tags