Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
D W

Had three tours at Ft. Bragg ('60's & '70's). All things aside I enjoyed NC. The only thing that scared the hell out of me on the road were the pulp wood trucks. Those things were actually held together with baling wire and chewing gum. They looked like refugees from the junk yard!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
Multi-Slacker

Kris - you are mistaken. The worst drivers are from Mass. It is easy to drive in NJ - just get yourself an early 50s Buick Roadmaster. I cruised all over Bergen county in man and everybody stayed well clear. Might have been the rust or maybe it was the ould leaks dripping on the exhaust header or maybe it was nearly bald tires.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm so done with too many people here. You can't drive anywhere here day or night without a mess of cars in front of and behind you. Like living in an ant hill.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #24

new jersey is for beginner drivers, they graduate and drive East side of New England.
I used to live in PA, and drove all over NE USA. those along the city side of New England are the most angry.

Than they move to Florida and become Mr Magoo
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hahaha, there's a blast from the past!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #26

I live in CA (no pun intended) and tow a 5th wheel. Never, I say and mean never drive in the slow lane. That is the crazy lane.

Now, some of you are talking about vehicle inspections. It if fact, there is no smog test equipment for diesel engines. That does not stop CA for requiring smog inspections every other year on diesel engines. Cost $78.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Kris - you are mistaken. The worst drivers are from Mass. It is easy to drive in NJ - just get yourself an early 50s Buick Roadmaster. I cruised all over Bergen county in man and everybody stayed well clear. Might have been the rust or maybe it was the ould leaks dripping on the exhaust header or maybe it was nearly bald tires.
Could not agree more regarding Mass drivers. I just came back from Acadia park and I drove straight west from Bangor to New Hampshire, then down 91 to miss the eastern half of Mass. It was well worth the 100 or so extra miles.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #28

You live in the wrong county, Mariposa no smog checks gas or Diesel, let's go roll some coal. See that hopped up Cummins my son built in my registry. He loved those low RPM high torque motors. That thing runs nice but you must baby the throttle if you want your rearview mirror to work. Kinda nice for those guys that follow too close.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I plan on moving your way from NJ when wife retires, one difference though. I've lived down South already, and I get it. I don't WANT things to change there, it is the reason I want to be there, but I'm afraid all my fellow yankees are going to ruin everything before I get there. You know what ruined the South? Air conditioning. Made it possible for outsiders to come in (carpetbaggers) and muck everything up.
Yeah, I have the same fears as you.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #30

Thanks to the USN, I had the privilege of living in Virginia, South Carolina, Mississippi and California. I was born outside of Cleveland so all of those places were new & interesting to me. I loved it down south - except the humidity and the bugs. I loved California even more and moved here over forty years ago. Back then San Diego was a sleepy Navy town and that suited me just fine.

Fast forward a couple decades and the influx of people from all over the country (yes, even the SOUTH!) started making things crowded and along with that came spiraling prices for homes, taxes and you name it. So my Southern friends, don't be surprised if in a couple decades you're looking for an escape route

By the way, I have a pet theory on the cr@p driving out there. Back when I was a teenager, drivers ed was pretty much mandatory to get a license. Now, if your over 21 all you have to do is read the book and take the test. The book teaches the law but not how to be a "good" driver or "the rules of the road". Seems like for most younger folks driving is just an inconvenience between where they are and where they're going.

Jut my 2 cents!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
I believe 40 West is still open. And it goes all the way to Barstow.
Yup. Just follow the baloney wrappers.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #32
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
The NC inspection is a joke, I send my buddy a text with the vin, plate and mileage and he runs my car through. NC doesn't mandate that old cars come off the road like CA does in fact no inspections are required for cars over 35 years old. Also, many of the cars on the side of the road are owned by immigrants that don't have a license or insurance, they abandon them and leave them when they die. NC tows a car usually within a week.

Have you ever been up north to see the rust buckets they drive? Brake lines fail, pieces fall off. NC cars are in a lot better shape than most places. Nice of you to generalize though.

NC drivers are not that bad, part of the problem is NC is such a nice state too many people that move here don't know how to drive.

I do not see that many trailers in the far left lane, I will drive the middle lane, no law against either. Usually it is the Prius's blocking the left lane. Again, where do you live (ah, I see Denver), the trailers I see are the same as other states.

Don't rag on TSC, they have stuff for home, pet and trucks and they saved my tail having a tire ready to mount on my car hauler trailer the other night when a China Bomb blew. As stated before, if you don't like NC there are Interstates out in all directions. We didn't ask for you to move here so don't bring your attitude and high taxes to the State.

I don't know what TSC is but otherwise, I concur with this message.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #33

Tractor Supply Company https://www.tractorsupply.com
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #34

Got an Army buddy that got out and went "back home" to California. He found out real quick after having been gone for a number of years that good old California was not the same. Every time we talked he moaned about how he hated living there. I finally convinced him to move to Alabama (he knew that area as we had both been to Army AIT at a base here) and even helped get him a job.

He bought some property and was getting some work done there. He kept giving the work crew helpful hints about how "in California it was done this way", or "in California we would do this". The foreman of the crew politely told him if he wanted it done the way it is done in California, he could carry his *** right on back to California. He did not make that mistake again.

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #35
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
If you miss the traffic of CA, come on down to Atlanta, GA. It's only a short drive from NC. We have I-285 which is sort of a combination of CA traffic and NASCAR driving skills all in one (the outer loop around Atlanta). 6 wide swapping paint at 85mph+ 7 days a week.
Omg Atlanta is the worst! Had to go this past Monday for supplies and DH says he will drive 100 miles on alternate route before he drags a trailer thru Atlanta.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #36

My neighbor across the road bought his house in Woodside CA in 1989 for $395K and just sold it for $3.6M, not many places where you can do that. He now lives on a private road with 26 acres, doing wood and metal artwork. No signal lights or cities in the county, 3300 foot elevation, cool and quiet. Just have to bring your money as most don't make a lot around here.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #37

Welcome

Newbie here.....agree with the general theme in this thread. Sign that should be posted eastbound at the Nevada border with California:

Welcome

You came here from there because
you didn't like there, and now you
want to change here to be like there.
We are not racist, phobic or anti
whatever-you-are, we simply like
here the way it is and most of us
actually came here because it is
not like there, wherever there was.
You are welcome here, but please
stop trying to make here like there.
If you want here to be like there you
should not have left there to come
here, and you are invited to leave
here and go back there at your
earliest convenience.
ConcordKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #38

Exactly what happened to CA .
Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #39
Retired Old Fart

I have been here since before there was an interstate (no joke, I'm serious). Atlanta has changed in the past 10 years. It's horrible now. There is no such thing as an "opening for a lane change", nor are blinkers used. It's almost like demolition derby trying to get a 20' car into a 5' space between the cars in the lane next to you. Seems like most drivers just move over and expect you to back off and let them in or they will just hit you (and I would estimate 30% don't have insurance from the looks of the cars they drive).

I will also 2nd Mass. as having horrible traffic. I remember the first time I drove to Boston to visit the wife's grandfather before he passed in the late 70's. I had never seen a rotary before. That was interesting. Especially since the main highway came into a rotary with 5 other exits and none of them were marked (so which was the road I needed?). Her family joked about the car dealer giving you a rubber mallet so you can put the first dent in your new car before leaving the dealer lot. I believe it.

I swore next time we drove back up there, I was coming in a 1962 Dodge Power Wagon with no two fenders the same color, rail road ties for front and back bumpers, a shotgun rack in the rear window, racoon tail on the antenna, and a bumper sticker "I don't brake for ****" on the back.... Then just dare one of those new BMW's to pull out and cut me off.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #40

I can only imagine, but CA has plenty of bumper to bumper if one goes to the appropriate area, which I don't. I was born in a nice little town of 18k, then it grew, I went to a township, then in became a city, I went to a census designated area and flew back to my business, then it got crowded now I am far enough out and retired. I hate to go to the little town of 4k to get groceries every couple weeks or so. The internet has helped so much, just push some buttons and they bring it to me.