Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Current River Rat

Touch Audio replacement

I've pretty much decided the Touch Audio in my new Grey Wolf is crap. Already replaced it once (new this March) and fixed one problem but the unit will not switch to AM no matter what you try. The original was programmed for DVD playing from another world (other than North America) but would switch to AM, just wouldn't pick any stations up. So, anyone found another brand/unit that will fit in the opening? This is the square one with touch face. Just don't understand with ALL the brands available in the world they use the cheapest one they can find. And I found the Touch units are part of the same company as Lippert. Hmmmmm. Plays DVD's well now, would like to get KMOX sometimes when we're out and about.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Might be better off enclosing panel where the unit goes and get a din mount automotive radio that plays dvd's mp3s and is ipod compatible.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bttravel View Post
I've pretty much decided the Touch Audio in my new Grey Wolf is crap. Already replaced it once (new this March) and fixed one problem but the unit will not switch to AM no matter what you try. The original was programmed for DVD playing from another world (other than North America) but would switch to AM, just wouldn't pick any stations up. So, anyone found another brand/unit that will fit in the opening? This is the square one with touch face. Just don't understand with ALL the brands available in the world they use the cheapest one they can find. And I found the Touch units are part of the same company as Lippert. Hmmmmm. Plays DVD's well now, would like to get KMOX sometimes when we're out and about.
I know what ya mean, ours has good days and bad days, usually, I'm calling the 14 year old son to assist me, he's my stand in techy, LOL. Haven't had to replace ours, but we do have issues with the weather radio coming on all the time, so hubby has to take the fuse out when we leave the trailer, so the darn thing won't go off.
jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Mine is a piece of crap too.
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Just found out today the touch audio unit is discontinued! Hopefully the new unit is of better quality.Hopefully
Lonewolfcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #6

So what did they replace it with do you have pics
crford88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfcry View Post
Just found out today the touch audio unit is discontinued! Hopefully the new unit is of better quality.Hopefully
They are replacing it with something different under warranty?
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

I would also be interested in what they are replacing it with. Mine is a 2010 and has a dvi-400 model. Everything seems to be working on the stereo itself, but when I bought my camper used, it didn't come with the remote. (said it never came with one). So I went through the dealer and they had Forest River send me a brand new remote for $43. Doesn't work. They had me verify the remote works by pointing the remote into a digital camera, pushing buttons, and watching the view finder on the camera. You can then see the light flash on the remote to prove it works. So the nearest dealer can get my camper in around July 9 to take a look which will cost more money. Since I cannot change weather options as well as bass and treble without the remote, I kind of need it to work. (I did see the same stereo with remote on ebay for around $35 the other day, but not sure I want to go the used route yet) Would anybody have any ideas on just what might be making the remote not work with the stereo? It IS the correct remote since it looks like the one in the manual.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I replaced mine with a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD from Best Buy. The fader control works for the inside/outside speakers and I needed a splitter for the video signal. But it basically replaced the Touch Audio with no issues and the function and sound is outstanding

Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #10

bought a flip down double din auto dvd player on ebay and used a simple dpdt switch for 'b' & 'c' selection. quick and easy replacement and it costs less than a new 'touch audio' and sounds great. plays movies/audio from multiple sources (usb,sd card,dvd). I am machine controls designer by trade and 'touch audio' unit is a joke. we all spend alot of money on our trailers and is a shame the manufacturers put such junk in. nice job essness, looks great.
oldfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote