Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

Tough week for the TT

It's been a rough 7 days for the camper. Last Tuesday, we noticed a flat tire, took it in to get fixed and found that the rim itself was cracked and leaking air. Fortunate to have that happen at home under the barn rather than on the road.

Today, I'm dropping stuff off for our trip on Friday and noticed it was warm in there. I keep it plugged in, under a barn, AC set to about 80 to help with humidity. Anyway, I figure I'll just bump it down to make sure everything is good... We'll, it's not. AC fan wouldn't turn on, got the compressor to come on once, but, it's likely fried as well. Fortunately my local dealer is getting me in tomorrow and going to try to have it fixed by Thursday. First AC was replaced in November. Should still be under warranty. Camper is 13 months old, so, full warranty gone, but, dometic has a 2 year on the AC.

Trip is to South Florida, so, AC is a must. Again, fortunate that I checked. Hopefully no more surprises either leading up to, or, on this trip. Going to be a quick weekend down Friday and back Sunday.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #2

Odd that you would loose 2 A/C's in 13 months. Wonder if there is another issue like a thermostat?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Odd that you would loose 2 A/C's in 13 months. Wonder if there is another issue like a thermostat?

I had the same issue when my first one quit, thankfully under extended warranty. Within 6 months the second one had quit.
https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...00&format=jpeg
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scayne62 View Post
I had the same issue when my first one quit, thankfully under extended warranty. Within 6 months the second one had quit.
Thanks for the info. Hoping to have her back by tomorrow probably with a new AC unit yet again. Dometic has a 2-year warranty, I am wondering if that is per unit, or, if it's 2 years from the original date? I'm still well in that window, but, with 2 going out, I would feel better about a whole new 2 years on this one.

Anyone ever change out the unit yourself? If it runs out of warranty, I'll probably consider that if it has to be changed again, just not sure if it's worth it.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Thanks for the info. Hoping to have her back by tomorrow probably with a new AC unit yet again. Dometic has a 2-year warranty, I am wondering if that is per unit, or, if it's 2 years from the original date? I'm still well in that window, but, with 2 going out, I would feel better about a whole new 2 years on this one.

Anyone ever change out the unit yourself? If it runs out of warranty, I'll probably consider that if it has to be changed again, just not sure if it's worth it.
Wow. Changing out the A/C unit on top of a 12 foot high RV! From the technical side it is pretty easy....four bolts and a few wires wire-nutted together. I have removed an A/C from the roof opening to replace the sponge seal, utilizing my sons' (multiple) help to lift. The additional problem that you will be facing is getting the new unit up on the roof. Definitely not saying it can't be done, but you might want to make sure that you have enough manpower, time and ladders, etc.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post

I've used a collapsible ladder and two pieces of cardboard to get AC units on a roof. Takes two people to do it. Cover your roof with one piece and put another piece between the AC unit and the ladder. Makes it easier to push up the ladder and protects the seal. once it's at the top the second person pulls it up onto the roof and slides it across on the second piece of cardboard. It's worked for me with Colemans. I've never worked with Dometics.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Think I'd have people do some checking before installing another unit. Something doesn't sound right.
chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Dometic offers a 3 year extended warranty on their AC units for around $165.00, it will give you five years of warranty. I had a 15K unit bad from the factory that was replaced under warranty and I installed another 15K unit by removing the skylight in our bedroom. Hardest thing about installation was getting it onto the roof. Both units have the five year warranty on them.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #9

How is your unit plugged into your barn? Direct or by lawn extension cord?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
How is your unit plugged into your barn? Direct or by lawn extension cord?
I was wondering the same thing. On my trailer, I have a hardwired EMS so I would know the voltage when the AC is on.

Wouldn't be the first AC fried by a low voltage.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #11

Not to say it's not possible, but, I have a hard wired connection 30A and portable EMS on it at all times.

Failures have been different too. First one seemed like a coolant leak. AC would run fine and coolish, but, wasn't blowing cold.

This one appears to just be the fan. I did get the compressor to turn on for a min before I shut it down. If it was a voltage issue, I wouldn't think the fan would be the problem. Could be wrong though. I'll check it out when im back in business.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #12

If the compressor turns on, I agree, not likely a voltage issue.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If the compressor turns on, I agree, not likely a voltage issue.
Critters build a nest causing jammed fan.?
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #14

Reason why I asked that is cause I burned up my first unit by running 50ft extension cord and the ac. My voltage was low around 105-107 (I have hard wired ems also). I figured it ran so must be fine. After 3 months of that , it failed the day before a trip. I runna 30 amp cord now with minimal voltage drop.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
Tom

As for the warranty issue. Dometic is two years from the RV purchase. It doesn't start over with a replacement unit under warranty. I know this from experience.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Critters build a nest causing jammed fan.?
We have a winner! Rats, ugh, sweet dreams for us tonight. The AC is fine though, dealer cleaned it out and it's working great. I'll be declaring war on the critters when I put it back in the barn!

Thanks for all of the ideas! I feel a little dumb for spending $72 to have someone else solve that easy of an issue, but, I'm glad I didn't open it up and find them! Worth a little bit of cash. No signs anywhere inside and we used the camper just 3 weeks ago, so, I'm hopeful that they didn't move inside yet.