Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Yep! After you reach 70 years old, sometimes what starts out in your head, never reaches your mouth or fingers exactly as it started out.
For some of us that started long before 70....

Thank you all for your help. I'll be calling around to a few shops to find the Maxxis. Load range E would be nice.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:32 AM   #102

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #103

Tow Max tires at less than 2 years and less than 15,000 miles, cost me
$1,000 deductible PLUS a new tire, plus my insurance company $ 2,200.
Ohhhh yeahhh! They are a wonderful tire! Ohhh, my unit was in the shop for 120 days!!
Ohhhh, BTW, I check tire health daily as we travel. No negative signs! Mine had full tread separation on the Florida Turnpike at 62mph 80 miles south of Disney!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #104
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Big bummer SB Mel! What a way for crap tires to put a wet blanket on a vacation! Per an earlier post by me, looks like I got off easy. All 4 of mine were less than a year and a 1/2 old, less than 2.5k miles, a load range over recommended.....Somebody needs to take a tire carcass from these crap tires and cram it down somebody's throat. Only then will we see something done about this junk we are getting! It seems like it is getting worse instead of better!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #105

What everybody that has had problems with these cheap China tires is get together and start a class action lawsuit against all the RV companies. RV manufacturers will do anything they can to save a buck at our expense. Putting cheap China tires on campers just make the manufacturers more profit

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #106

Quote:
We made it to and from the FL Keys [1,100 miles] on our new Maxxis with three Hercules as spares. I now have a garage full of almost new [550 miles] Akurets. Even though they are junk, I can't bring myself to throw away a set of new tires, but the last Akuret tire blew out with 375 miles on it. I hope the Hercules tires work in a pinch as none have been on the ground except to get the TT from the house to the tire company [15 miles].

The Hercules are great tire ,i believe made in Canada . I put them on my unit first thing . 4500 miles later and still running great won't use another ST tire the Hercules are e rated 10 ply . Been running a Hercules brand on my truck also for over 10yrs with never a issue .think you have the wrong tires being used as spares . been seeing lots of Maxxis blowouts this winter here in Fl along with all the china bombs
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #107

Tire issues

These chinese cheap tires run across MOST RV manufacturers. Because of few, (if any) DOCUMENTED loss of life or severed limbs or paralysis directly related to SPECIFIC tires, you won't be finding any major law firm taking that on. I owned a Ford Explorer back in the Firestone fiasco days! I jerked them off in a heartbeat and replaced them.
And even if you did file a suit, only the lawyers make out.
In this tire crap, we need DISCLOSURE ON THE PURCHASE ORDER INCLUSIVE OF DATA THAT ALLOWS AN INFORMED BUYER OF THE FAILURE RATE. You SIGN AND DEALER SIGNS that potential hazard has been explained in detail and tire option upgrades discussed and cost.
At least you would know you are buying crap and agreeing to it to save $500 on a $50,000 purchase!
We tend to get off guard at point of sale, enamoured with the "champagne"!
IF DEALERS HAD TO DISCLOSE, HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE FOR THEM TO DEMAND BETTER RUBBER ON UNITS THEY ACCEPT? A year?! Less?!
That's the pressure needed! Dealers have a huge investment in facilities, etc., they cannot survive selling DISCLOSED INFERIOR QUALITY!! No dealers, no rv sales! Close the doors, go home!!
Answer: Build more tire plants right here in the USA! Control the quality!
RV industry can buy tire plants and do this! We HAVE TO ENCOURAGE THEM!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The Hercules are great tire ,i believe made in Canada . I put them on my unit first thing . 4500 miles later and still running great won't use another ST tire the Hercules are e rated 10 ply . Been running a Hercules brand on my truck also for over 10yrs with never a issue .think you have the wrong tires being used as spares . been seeing lots of Maxxis blowouts this winter here in Fl along with all the china bombs
My Hercules tires were made at the Shandong China plant per the DOT code stamped on the side of the tire [25RY]. Check your sidewalls and I think you will find "China" stamped into the rubber. Nowhere can I find anything that says Hercules are made in Canada or anywhere else.

Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #109
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Current state of tires, there are few options other than the junk.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #110

My 2015 Cedar Creek came with Goodyears G614. I want to get a 36CKTS one day only problem is the new ones come with ST tires. But that won't be a problem I would just buy the G614

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #111

If everyone would report the problems with the China Bombs, to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration at Safecar.gov with details, pictures, mileage, locations, damage to RV, something WOULD get done. Most people don't even know NHTSA exist.
Complaining to the choir has no chance of fixing any problem. If they get enough complaints of certain brands, something will have to be done.
There are more than 49 brands coming out of the Shandong, China tire plant. If something goes wrong with a brand, they just change the name and keep selling them.
Also, if buyers refuse to take delivery of any unit with China Bombs on it, that would eventually cause the manufacturers to stop buying the trash.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #112

Food for thought-I changed my 5 year old "china" tires last fall before taking a 700 mile trip and went with the Maxxis tires. I upgraded from load range D to E. I also had read that you should replace the wheels too when going from a 65 psi tire to an 80 psi tire. Luckily I found a great deal on new wheels just like my old steel ones for $25.00 each. For those of you upgrading your tires-what do the rest of you think about replacing the wheels too?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #113

I'm getting ready to buy the load e Maxxis. I called Lionshead to speak with them about the wheels. (Took 3 calls to get an Engineer on the line.) I was told my wheels are rated for 80 PSI.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Food for thought-I changed my 5 year old "china" tires last fall before taking a 700 mile trip and went with the Maxxis tires. I upgraded from load range D to E. I also had read that you should replace the wheels too when going from a 65 psi tire to an 80 psi tire. Luckily I found a great deal on new wheels just like my old steel ones for $25.00 each. For those of you upgrading your tires-what do the rest of you think about replacing the wheels too?
My tire guy said the aluminum wheels that I put my Maxxis 8008 on and the steel wheels that wear my Hercules spares, were all easily rated for 80psi. Since I went from LRCs to LREs, I'm good to go. I don't find any markings on any of the wheels that give ANY max PSI settings. I don't ever remember personally knowing of a wheel failure due to high psi. One guy here on the forum said he had a wheel failure when he put an off road, super wide tire on a stock rim and it separated. That is understandable, but not normal usage.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #115

TST 507 RV System

Just an FYI to those using the TST or any other TPMS. Make sure you remove the external sensors when not in use as they stop transmitting when they are disconnected and won't run the batteries down. Make sure you number them so they end up back on the wheels they came off of.
I know most people know this, but just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #116

I leave mine on all the time, my truck has them on it, GM was to cheap to put factory ones on

Old 01-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #117

Well, after much searching and calling, I finally got a set of tires ordered. Amazon of all places was the best deal. Went for the Maxxis 8008 10 ply while I was at it. Will be $600 by the time it is all said and done, but just reading this thread, at least I have some peace of mind.

I would ASSUME that warranty, insurance all that would still cover even though they are not original equipment and but are certainly the correct replacements. Exact same size as original, just heavier load rating.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
Well, after much searching and calling, I finally got a set of tires ordered. Amazon of all places was the best deal. Went for the Maxxis 8008 10 ply while I was at it. Will be $600 by the time it is all said and done, but just reading this thread, at least I have some peace of mind.

I would ASSUME that warranty, insurance all that would still cover even though they are not original equipment and but are certainly the correct replacements. Exact same size as original, just heavier load rating.

Maxxis warranty coverage is only good from the date the tires were manufactured. So, make sure you are comfortable with that date before you have them mounted.

Even Amazon is required to provide you with the tire registration papers. So, make sure you register them. It's the only way to insure you're informed of any recalls against them.

Trailer Warranty | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #119

Quote:
My Hercules tires were made at the Shandong China plant per the DOT code stamped on the side of the tire [25RY]. Check your sidewalls and I think you will find "China" stamped into the rubber. Nowhere can I find anything that says Hercules are made in Canada or anywhere else.

Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group

I'll have to go check the code on my tire now . it looks at least some good tire may come out of china .
Where to Find Us | Hercules Tires
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires