Old 12-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

A couple of years ago on my former Cyclone. Never saw a bulge in this TowMax.

The tires were a year old. Always kept at 80 psi and this trip we were headed to the lake. No water in the tanks or anything heavy like we do when we go to our races. It blew apart 6 miles after we left home.

When I called Heartland, they tried their best to tell me how great the TowMax tires have been for them and they'd never heard of anything like this happening. I told them they obviously don't browse RV forums on the web.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
To add!

Also, I am under weight by almost 2,000 lbs. I have taken several short trips to local campsites, under 100 miles. Had them inspected by a local Big O just before leaving on the trip, as they are who my warranty provider is thru. They passed fine, and have the paperwork to show that. I could have gone anywhere in Payson, but nobody had the size I needed-and I had to be back in Mesa, Az ASAP. Otherwise, I would have gotten a set of known brand of tires.

A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #13

It never fails. Every time I go camping, I always either see units on the side of the road with blow outs or see damaged ones at the camp site. I usually talk to them and ask. 9 times out of 10 it is a China bomb. The last one I talked with was a couple that bought their fiver the day before and had a blow out which took out the fender trim and damaged some wiring under the unit. I swapped mine out with less then 50 miles on them. Lol.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Also, I am under weight by almost 2,000 lbs. I have taken several short trips to local campsites, under 100 miles. Had them inspected by a local Big O just before leaving on the trip, as they are who my warranty provider is thru. They passed fine, and have the paperwork to show that. I could have gone anywhere in Payson, but nobody had the size I needed-and I had to be back in Mesa, Az ASAP. Otherwise, I would have gotten a set of known brand of tires.
Since you only have 100.00$ in your New (Common-Core) Tires you can now buy Better/Good tires at your leasure now that you are Home! Youroo!!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I wonder what the people who build these crappollas put on their rickshaw?
A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

Making a rant to NHTSA without specific information and physical evidence will probably get your complaint on their list of complaints about the specific tire. But, I doubt you will ever hear from them. Their hands are tied without evidence. So, keep the tire that failed and all things thrown off it that can be found and let NHTSA know you still have the evidence.

Here are the complaints NHTSA has on file about the Towmax tires.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=nnWdWtkF8NtKyrC41lPfv20XG 1R1QYQHYJsbN1fRYBvwnlLpDbKz!1016641107?searchType= PROD&prodType=T&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.mo del=TOWMAX&stats=351627%7C1882230%2C0%2C0%2C69%2C0 %2CTOWMAX&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffo lders%2F&searchCriteria.make=POWER+KING&searchCrit eria.prod_ids=351627%2C1882230
Old 12-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
I wonder what the people who build these crappollas put on their rickshaw?
This 5er RV has (Cheng Shin Rubber Maxxis) on it! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4095.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	96109  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
It never fails. Every time I go camping, I always either see units on the side of the road with blow outs or see damaged ones at the camp site. I usually talk to them and ask. 9 times out of 10 it is a China bomb. The last one I talked with was a couple that bought their fiver the day before and had a blow out which took out the fender trim and damaged some wiring under the unit. I swapped mine out with less then 50 miles on them. Lol.
What did you "swap them out" for? All ST tires are made in China. I'm told there is one brand made somewhere else in the Orient other than China.
After 5 China bomb blowouts, I've gone to LT LRGs. Nothing could be worse than what I had.
This is the blowout we had Thursday and took out a large portion of the wheel well AGAIN. Wiring harness, water line, propane line and fender cover all gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	96154  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #19

Blackhatmike, Paulie and others. When I purchased my Flagstaff, new in May 2013, it had TrailExpress bombs on it. We had no knowledge of the dangers of these tires or of this forum at the time, so we relied on/believed the dealer about tires and other items.
Having owned work/equipment trailers for years I was familiar with the fact that you needed to moniter tire pressures and keep an eye out for misallignment etc, I did not understand "China bombs".
We left Kentucky in our new TT, traveled west out to Oklahoma, down through Texas, back up through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Back to Kentucky, then northeast to Maryland, which was home at the time. 3600 miles give or take. We got home in late June to prepare for a July 4th F.R.O.G. rally in Canada, near Niagra Falls. (Where we camped next to a young couple with kids, in a nearly new but severely damaged 5er. Really???WOW!!!! What happened? ....Two blowouts in quick succession.)(Still clueless but more vigilant.)
While reloading, in Md, to hit the road again I was under the TT doing a routine "look about" and to my surprise found a huge (4" diameter, rim to tread) sidewall bubble on one tire. I talked to Lionshead, the tire supplier to, owned by, FR. They advised they would ship a new tire out that day. In 3-4 days the new tire arrived and I was shocked to pick it up and realize how light and flimsy it was. I could nearly twist it into a figure 8.
I made a trip down to my local tire dealer to ask questions, when I returned home I hooked up the TT and carefully drove it the 3 miles to tire store for 4 new tires. The replacements were Carlisle radials.
We are retired and have kids/grandkids scattered everywhere, VA, OK, GA, WV, and a wintering site in FL, to date we have put over 30,000 miles on these Carlisles with no problems. The TT is set up in FL waiting on our return from KY, after Christmas, or I would go and get you numbers off the sidewall. I think they are ST225/15 load range E.
Long story to tell you all that I am well pleased with these tires and would buy them again. I do not know the country of origin but will report back to you all in January. MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Travel safe
Old 12-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #20

FordHauler. Today I went to my tire store for 4 new tires that my tire guy said would not fail me and he would stand behind. When I got to the store and positioned the TT to get the new shoes, he came out shaking his head and told me he couldn't find the LT Steel tires in a 15" anywhere and wasn't sure they even made them in a 15". We spent close to an hour trying to find out for sure and couldn't find even one. It seems they don't make them. Period!
I'm now back to Hercules tires which he said he will personally stand behind. He said anytime you have full tread separation, it's clearly a defective tire. I've had 5 full separations on TowMax and one [so far] on the Akuret tires. I now have 4 Hercules tires [China ST tires] on the ground and two others as spares.
I think if you research it, you will find Carlyle tires are also made in China or so I'm told. I'm not sure at this point if ANY of the ST tires are safe, but will find out come Dec 22 as we are headed of Marathon Key, FL again for the holidays. Last year on our trip down, we had three full blowouts and a rapid leak that had to be pumped up 4 times to get us to the CG. Sidewall gone! I've had enough RV drama to last years.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires