Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #61

We made it to and from the FL Keys [1,100 miles] on our new Maxxis with three Hercules as spares. I now have a garage full of almost new [550 miles] Akurets. Even though they are junk, I can't bring myself to throw away a set of new tires, but the last Akuret tire blew out with 375 miles on it. I hope the Hercules tires work in a pinch as none have been on the ground except to get the TT from the house to the tire company [15 miles].
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #62
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Mike, put them on Craigslist, sell them to a landscaper! They should hold up ok that way, as they seldom carry the kind of loads a camper experiences!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
We made it to and from the FL Keys [1,100 miles] on our new Maxxis with three Hercules as spares. I now have a garage full of almost new [550 miles] Akurets. Even though they are junk, I can't bring myself to throw away a set of new tires, but the last Akuret tire blew out with 375 miles on it. I hope the Hercules tires work in a pinch as none have been on the ground except to get the TT from the house to the tire company [15 miles].
So you currently have Maxxis tires on your camper? You have a garage full of Akurets and some Hercules tires. Was there a problem with the Hercules tires?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
So you currently have Maxxis tires on your camper? You have a garage full of Akurets and some Hercules tires. Was there a problem with the Hercules tires?
I've only run one Hercules tire for about 15 miles and no problem. I now carry 3 Hercules tires as spares in case the Maxxis fail. I've only heard good things about Hercules tires including from my tire guy [schoolmate and personal friend].
Actually, I paid about the same amount for the Maxxis as I did for the Hercules, just wanted to get FAR away from China bombs [TowMax, TowMaster and Akurets]. I feel OK with the Hercules.IMHO
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Mike, put them on Craigslist, sell them to a landscaper! They should hold up ok that way, as they seldom carry the kind of loads a camper experiences!
You must have been reading my mind!! I have a local landscaper that parks two of his trailers next to me at the storage lot. I asked him today if he needed tires and he is checking his sizes as we speak. I made him a deal he can't refuse if they will fit.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #66

I have had two TowMax bombs go off heading from Jacksonville to Key West. 2 year old tires that came with my Crusader 295 . Tires at proper pressure and inspected before trip. Never went over 62 MPH 1st one didn't make it 90 miles. I e-mailed Prime Time but no response as yet. Guess factory tires are not there concern. Tires are a lot cheaper than the damage from the blowout. Still camping in Key West and trying to not think about cheap Chinese tires. If they would spend $50 more per tire the Public Relations would be much better.
k4lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lp View Post
I have had two TowMax bombs go off heading from Jacksonville to Key West. 2 year old tires that came with my Crusader 295 . Tires at proper pressure and inspected before trip. Never went over 62 MPH 1st one didn't make it 90 miles. I e-mailed Prime Time but no response as yet. Guess factory tires are not there concern. Tires are a lot cheaper than the damage from the blowout. Still camping in Key West and trying to not think about cheap Chinese tires. If they would spend $50 more per tire the Public Relations would be much better.
k4lp.
Make SURE you report the China bomb blowouts to NHTSA. This is the only way we will be able to get this trash taken off the market. If you still have the tire, record the codes stamped on the side walls and any other info you can find ie date of purchase, miles traveled, etc. I think its Safecar.gov. They will ask for pix if you have them.
I am on their recall notice list. When there is a tire recall, they email me.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #68

Do insurance companies not feel an interest in all this? They must see a lot of claims for damages caused by these blowouts. Just a thought.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Do insurance companies not feel an interest in all this? They must see a lot of claims for damages caused by these blowouts. Just a thought.
YOU WOULD THINK!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #70

I will for sure, I kept the old tires and the sidewalls are ok
k4lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a 2014 320 Crusader. Got rid of the Tow Max April of last year and had 4 new Maxxis tires installed. Headed to Alaska from SW PA in May and returned in early August.

13,000 miles later plus trips to the Ocean and Shenandoah National Park...

NO problem.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #72

Hey all,

Thanks for this thread. Guess who's not sleeping tonight? Me. First thing tomorrow I am checking to see brand of tire I have and if I have to call around for a new set.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #73

I have a 2015 Nitro 24FQSL TH that has Westlake tires that say China on them (ST225/75r15 Load range D). The max weight of my TH is about 9300 lbs. Most of the time I don't haul the bikes. so I am normally pretty light on weight. Should I replace these tires also? If so what brand of tire should I go with in a 15".
Thank you for your INFO!
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
I have a 2015 Nitro 24FQSL TH that has Westlake tires that say China on them (ST225/75r15 Load range D). The max weight of my TH is about 9300 lbs. Most of the time I don't haul the bikes. so I am normally pretty light on weight. Should I replace these tires also? If so what brand of tire should I go with in a 15".
Thank you for your INFO!
I chose Goodyear Maxxis per my tire guy. Pickins are slim for ST tires. Maxxis are made in Thailand and I think Taiwan. Just put 1,200 miles on them with good results [temp & pressure increases]. Have Hercules as spares. JMHO.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
Thank you for your INFO!
As long as you're looking to replace the Westlake china bombs there are not a lot of choices for American made 15 inch trailer tires. Just today I asked the tire shop I've been exclusively dealing with for the past 20 years about replacement tires for the VailSport (Lionshead china bomb) that came on my Vengeance 25 (similar weight to yours). He said, based on his experience selling probably thousands of trailer tires, to stay away from the Goodyear Marathon. He reported many problems with them, although he did say some customers had good luck. It's just a craps game roll of the dice.

He recommended the Maxxis M8008 and also said it's best to upgrade to the E-load 10 ply series. He said his experience with Maxxis problems is comparable to Michelin problems (he primarily sells the Michelin but special orders the other brands). If your max trailer weight is 9,300 pounds then you'll probably have a max weight on the axles of 8,000 or so pounds. That's a max load of about 2,000 pounds per tire (it will vary slightly depending on the CG of the trailer), which is 830 pounds each below the E-load rating of 2,830. Under the same conditions the D-load tire (2,540 max load) loses 1,160 pounds of total capacity. A search of this forum will show many reports of good luck with the Maxxis tires.

The reason my dealer recommended the E-load is because there will be less sidewall flex at highway speeds (more plys and higher pressure) which results in lower temperatures. The cost difference between D & E tires is less than $20 per tire so I can't see any reason not to do the upgrade. He also said the Maxxis is manufactured in both Taiwan and the USA.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #76

Quote:
I chose Goodyear Maxxis per my tire guy. Pickins are slim for ST tires. Maxxis are made in Thailand and I think Taiwan. Just put 1,200 miles on them with good results [temp & pressure increases]. Have Hercules as spares. JMHO.
Are you sure about your (Goodyear Maxxis) statement? Was there a Merge? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #77

Quote:
Maxxis is just Maxxis.

Maxxis Tires USA
Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #78

IMO, reporting tire failures to NHTSA must have some sort of documented cause for the failure. Over 50% of all RVs (all kinds) have tires overloaded, under inflated or both. NASTA knows those facts they often print the actual percentages per RV type.

Keep the failed tires and any parts that came off them during the failure and let NHTSA know you have them.

I think a good way to look at it is NHTSA assumes the tire is innocent until proven guilty.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #79

Checked the tires. They are Constancy LY188
ST225/75R15 Load Range C
Max Load of 2100 @ 50psi (yes, 50. Not 80, not 60)
Max speed of 75.

Based on an empty weight of just short of 7,000 and a CCC of about 1,500, four tires at 2100 each minus what is on the hitch would be really cutting it close if I was max loaded (not a chance).

Forum search didn't reveal anything nice about them.

Also, if you had to pick which would you buy first a TPMS or a new set of four tires?
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
Checked the tires. They are Constancy LY188
ST225/75R15 Load Range C
Max Load of 2100 @ 50psi (yes, 50. Not 80, not 60)
Max speed of 75.

Based on an empty weight of just short of 7,000 and a CCC of about 1,500, four tires at 2100 each minus what is on the hitch would be really cutting it close if I was max loaded (not a chance).

Forum search didn't reveal anything nice about them.

Also, if you had to pick which would you buy first a TPMS or a new set of four tires?
Get the new tires NOW.

Tags
tire, tires