Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #81

I should add, there's likely no more than 200lbs of additional stuff in the camper with lawn chairs, clothes etc. and we are currently only traveling about 70 miles each way to our favorite place, BUT we do have to bring fresh water in and gray/black water out. So that is another 400lbs.

Road is rough in some construction spots with unevenness where they have ground some down but haven't repaved it yet.

Looks like I will be hitting the Costco, Walmart and Goodyear sites at lunch.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #82

Consensus seems to be Maxxis over Marathons and they seem to be about the same price. Basically around $120/tire.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to try to go to a light truck tire if I can find one that fits or a load rating of E?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #83

On my Crusader 325TE I put close to 20,000 miles on them before they let go. But when they blew it was one right after another. On the CC I have Westlake "G" rated at 4,080 lbs @ 110 psi per tire. Another tire not mentioned is Sailun. I have not seen any bad reports on this brand, made in China. For more info go to trailertiresandwheels.com

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Maxxis is just Maxxis.

Maxxis Tires USA
Just a case of my fingers outrunning my brain I have no clue why I did that,
OBTW, another FR recall. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...FjXv!182953998
15V875 and 15V860
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #85

Links seem to not be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Just a case of my fingers outrunning my brain I have no clue why I did that,
OBTW, another FR recall. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...FjXv!182953998
15V875 and 15V860
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
Checked the tires. They are Constancy LY188
ST225/75R15 Load Range C
Max Load of 2100 @ 50psi (yes, 50. Not 80, not 60)
Max speed of 75.

Based on an empty weight of just short of 7,000 and a CCC of about 1,500, four tires at 2100 each minus what is on the hitch would be really cutting it close if I was max loaded (not a chance).

Forum search didn't reveal anything nice about them.

Also, if you had to pick which would you buy first a TPMS or a new set of four tires?
This is hypothetical at best. Mainly because you have not provided the numbers for math to make things mesh.

From the trailer manufacturer's point of view your tires are appropriate for the fitment your trailer requires. Their point of view is guided by FMVSS 571.110 for your trailer's GVWR. Tires are fitted to each GAWR and must have a total load capacity (by inflation pressure) to equal or exceed each GAWR.

Pages and pages are written about inadequate tire fitments on RV trailers. The Trailer manufacturer is not morally attached to your trailer. They are legally attached to it and by meeting the minimum standards their legal commitment to NHTSA has been achieved. they did that. I'm not taking sides. Those are facts.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Links seem to not be working.
You may have to copy the link to your browser. Not tech savvy, so I don't know what else to do.

Subject: Important Safety Recall Information

Your vehicle may be involved in a safety recall and may create a safety risk for you or your passengers. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you. However, if left unrepaired, a potential safety defect in your vehicle could lead to injury or even death. Read this entire email to find out more and learn what you should do next.
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment at no cost to the consumer. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by NHTSA if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.
The following recall may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Campaign ID number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.
To find out if your vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.
NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 15V875
Manufacturer : Forest River, Inc.
Make / Model Years : FOREST RIVER / 2016
Subject : Incorrect Tire Size on Federal Label/Part 567
What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle or equipment, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236 or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.
Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

Frank S. Borris II
Director
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #88

Here is another related recall.

The following recall may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Campaign ID number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.

To find out if your vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 15V860
Manufacturer : Forest River, Inc.
Make / Model Years : FOREST RIVER / 2016
Subject : Incorrect Axle Weight on Federal Placard/Part 567

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=15V875

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=15V860
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #89

Thanks, Airdale. I recognize the manufacturer is not morally- or especially emotionally, attached to the trailer as I am. However, in terms of the issue at hand, please recognize I am new to RVing and having just purchased my first camper you can only imagine my surprise to find legions of report of tire failure resulting in trailer damage with less than 1,000 miles.

When doing the math, I have four tires rated at 2,100 each for a total of 8,400. With an empty trailer weight of 6,950, 350 pounds worth of water and roughly 300 pounds worth of "stuff", that puts me at a total weight of 7,600. Minus 800 pounds for tongue weight and we are at 6,800 pounds. Certainly well below the 8,400 rating but that does not change the fact that multiple forums seem to decry original equipment tires. Individual reports of multiple failures on the same trip and a dearth of "I've been running years on my OEM tires." leads me to believe the immediate need is new tires over TPMS.

What little research I have done so far also seems to lean toward Goodyear Maxxis over Marathon.

Blackhat: thanks. Not sure what happened there. I tried copy-paste, editing the URL, etc. to no avail. Recent links worked. I appreciate the extra effort there.

QUESTION: As my rims are 15" and I'm not looking to replace them, if I were able to find load range E tires in the correct size, is it worth it? Likely making 6-10 short trips per year and hopefully one longer one of around 1,000 - 1,200 miles round trip.

Thanks all for your patience as I figure this out and try to learn from the experiences of you all.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #90

Maxxis makes the M8008 tire in load range E.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #91

Quote:
Thanks, Airdale. I recognize the manufacturer is not morally- or especially emotionally, attached to the trailer as I am. However, in terms of the issue at hand, please recognize I am new to RVing and having just purchased my first camper you can only imagine my surprise to find legions of report of tire failure resulting in trailer damage with less than 1,000 miles.

When doing the math, I have four tires rated at 2,100 each for a total of 8,400. With an empty trailer weight of 6,950, 350 pounds worth of water and roughly 300 pounds worth of "stuff", that puts me at a total weight of 7,600. Minus 800 pounds for tongue weight and we are at 6,800 pounds. Certainly well below the 8,400 rating but that does not change the fact that multiple forums seem to decry original equipment tires. Individual reports of multiple failures on the same trip and a dearth of "I've been running years on my OEM tires." leads me to believe the immediate need is new tires over TPMS.

What little research I have done so far also seems to lean toward Goodyear Maxxis over Marathon.

Blackhat: thanks. Not sure what happened there. I tried copy-paste, editing the URL, etc. to no avail. Recent links worked. I appreciate the extra effort there.

QUESTION: As my rims are 15" and I'm not looking to replace them, if I were able to find load range E tires in the correct size, is it worth it? Likely making 6-10 short trips per year and hopefully one longer one of around 1,000 - 1,200 miles round trip.

Thanks all for your patience as I figure this out and try to learn from the experiences of you all.
Agin there are NO Goodyear Maxxis! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Maxxis makes the M8008 tire in load range E.
Thanks. That is most helpful. If they have it in a 225/75R15 that sounds good. A little higher can't hurt. Not like I am worried about ride quality back there, eh?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Agin there are NO Goodyear Maxxis! Youroo!!
Ahh, my bad. I misunderstood some of the postings. Thank you for clearing that up. Probably saved me some dumb looks at the tire shop.

(See disclaimer about being new. lol)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #94

Quote:
Thanks. That is most helpful. If they have it in a 225/75R15 that sounds good. A little higher can't hurt. Not like I am worried about ride quality back there, eh?
Here's the link showing the E-load in your size. Ignore the price...that's retail and everyplace sells them for much less.

Maxxis M8008 Radial Tire | Maxxis® TiresÂ*
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #95

hmm, closest dealer is about two hours away. Appears I can get them for $133 each with free shipping. Will need to check what install and balance would run.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #96

I don't think you have to go to a listed Maxxis dealer. The shop I deal with sells a lot of Maxxis tires but is not a listed dealer. They, like most independent tire dealers, can order just about any brand they want. Check with your closest independent and see if they can order them.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:21 AM   #97
Rivnut

Tow max tires. I had 11k miles 2 years old. Checked each day. Week be4 trip i I see funny bulge on one. Further check two aware bulged, one is cracked severely. Chase down Tow max warranty lady sunning herself in Palm beach gardens, she gives me $144 on two tires, all checked by local dealer. Best I could
Get, just put 4 Maxxis on and good to go.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #98

Just so I don't unintentionally mislead anyone with my "think before you type" errors, there ARE NO GOODYEAR MAXXIS TIRES! I made a boo boo.
Maxxis are Maxxis.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #99

I think what you intended originally is Goodyear/Maxxis, with the / meaning and or or. Sometimes it's hard to say what one intends to say when using a keyboard.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I think what you intended originally is Goodyear/Maxxis, with the / meaning and or or. Sometimes it's hard to say what one intends to say when using a keyboard.
Yep! After you reach 70 years old, sometimes what starts out in your head, never reaches your mouth or fingers exactly as it started out.

Tags
tire, tires