Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Tow Specs

I have an idea I’d like to propose to the Admins. We have a lot of controversy over tow specs all the time and I know you guys deal with a train wreck once in a while.

So I have an idea. Basically that you guys choose a truck/tow expert panel. So folks could submit their resume to you and answer some questions. Then from the answers you guys pick three folks that lean “weight police” but aren’t dogmatic and three that lean to more liberal standards but are not dogmatic and one of the administrators.

Then all questions about matching trucks to specific trailers or tow trucks questions would be limited to the Towing/Truck Panel blog. So the member questioner would bring his questions and fill out a pre provided form to the panel for review on the blog. The thread would be limited to the member with the question(s) and the panel.

The new form to be developed would be questions and facts that the panel would require from the member/questioner to ensure correct information each time so that the panel has consistent information to form an opinion.

Each panel member may first ask the member/questioner any questions they have for clarification and then the expert panel would all give there opinion separately.

And in the end the the panel would have a vote that included a break the tie vote from an Administrator.

All threads started on the subject outside of the blog would be rerouted to the panel blog or deleted with instructions. We could develop side info threads as a panel for a clearing house of truck information and FR products.

So obviously this needs some more thought.

So my observations are that we all love this hobby we have and for many it’s not a hobby but life.

And some develop strong opinions and certainly are proud of what they have and get invested in any decisions they have made.

So it might be cool to limit the decisive threads and have a exclusive thread for each of the trucks. Where specs, pics and the like could be asked. But if there is a decision requested it moves to the expert panel blog.

Ok so this needs some more work.....

For you consideration.......MikeRP
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Team

OK, I'll kick this over to the entire site team to make sure everyone has a chance to read it.

Just being honest, at first glance it seems real complicated and would probably require even MORE site team intervention than these type threads do now.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
[...] Basically that you guys choose a truck/tow expert panel. [...] you guys pick three folks that lean “weight police” [...]
You lost me there. No, no, and no. We don't need anyone to police for the correct thoughts here. 90% of these debates are opinion -- what things "feel" like, whether to accept factory specs or to build in some "safety margin," and on and on and on. If you personally tire of the debate, the solution is to not read it.

But, appointing some "expert panel" that will decide what the best way to think about trucks (or any other topic) is not a solution. It would be the reason many would leave and find some other place that allowed for the free exchange of ideas and opinions.

Please don't do this.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Scoundrel

Quote:
So I have an idea. Basically that you guys choose a truck/tow expert panel. So folks could submit their resume to you and answer some questions. Then from the answers you guys pick three folks that lean “weight police” but aren’t dogmatic and three that lean to more liberal standards but are not dogmatic and one of the administrators.

Then all questions about matching trucks to specific trailers or tow trucks questions would be limited to the Towing/Truck Panel blog. So the member questioner would bring his questions and fill out a pre provided form to the panel for review on the blog. The thread would be limited to the member with the question(s) and the panel.
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a "forum"? Often I learn more from the dialog of other members than from one or more experts.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

For me, I am still very new to "heavy towing" in that I have only had our Rockwood for 3 years now. I personally would be opposed to an "expert panel" who would then impose their OWN opinions on people who already think their opinion is the right one. I think you would then have many more disagreements and maybe even some legal complications.

I actually enjoy the discussions and the differing life experiences that bring people to their conclusions. I listen to opinions; research those opinions and then decide for myself.

Marty
Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Rather than a panel, whose opinions would probably lead to liability litigation, I'd suggest a reference page of undisputed fact and generally accepted good practice
Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #7

Towing specs/payload specs are factual, hard numbers that are dictated by the manufacturer and are available to anyone willing to look them up.

Opinions on what works well together within those specs as dictated by a small panel would not go well...IMO.

Let the opinions fly and fact slappers roam free.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Towing specs/payload specs are factual, hard numbers that are dictated by the manufacturer and are available to anyone willing to look them up.

Opinions on what works well together within those specs as dictated by a small panel would not go well...IMO.

Let the opinions fly and fact slappers roam free.
My Jeep Liberty Diesel, has 2 tow ratings for the same vehicle. In the US, it is 5000lbs, and in the EU, it is 7700lbs. Both are factual and both are from the manufacturer....
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
My Jeep Liberty Diesel, has 2 tow ratings for the same vehicle. In the US, it is 5000lbs, and in the EU, it is 7700lbs. Both are factual and both are from the manufacturer....
Where do you live?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Where do you live?
Avatar block says "Tiverton, RI"

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Your maximum tow rating is 5000lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Avatar block says "Tiverton, RI"
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Your maximum tow rating is 5000lbs.

Thanks.
I am just saying, same vehicle, different tow ratings. Why does my tow rating change when I drive across an imaginary line on the planet?
Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
I am just saying, same vehicle, different tow ratings. Why does my tow rating change when I drive across an imaginary line on the planet?
I have no idea and would love to read some factual info on that topic but the manual for EU does not muddy the facts for me...
Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
I have no idea and would love to read some factual info on that topic but the manual for EU does not muddy the facts for me...
Ok, how about this one. EcoDiesels with certain grills have a lower tow rating than the same with other grills (due to airflow, and only having an electric fan). This was 3rd party tested on the Davis Dam Test Run by Green Diesel Engineering. Now, if you change your grill, wouldn't you be able to tow the amount of the stock unit with that grill?
Locomotive Engineer
Old 02-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Ok, how about this one. EcoDiesels with certain grills have a lower tow rating than the same with other grills (due to airflow, and only having an electric fan). This was 3rd party tested on the Davis Dam Test Run by Green Diesel Engineering. Now, if you change your grill, wouldn't you be able to tow the amount of the stock unit with that grill?
For me it is about the facts as put forth by the manufacturer for that truck. If the manufacturer says swapping the grill will increase the rating then I'm all for it.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #16

Well I’m not invested in this idea, maybe you don’t limit discussion but convene the Board when after one of our crazy long threads about tow capabilities the Original Poster requests clarification.

But it’s ok, we all like a friendly discussion.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
Scoundrel

Quote:
Well I’m not invested in this idea, maybe you don’t limit discussion but convene the Board when after one of our crazy long threads about tow capabilities the Original Poster requests clarification.

But it’s ok, we all like a friendly discussion.
I liked your idea in principle, but we all like to chat about stuff!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote