Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

tow vehicle

Looking for some input on my tow vehicle. I have a 2013 f150 ecoboost 3:31 super Crew with a 1600 lb. Payload. I have a 2015 Coachman Catalina 6600 lb. I am unsure if this truck can handle towing the travel trailer. Anyone have any thoughts?
Dallas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, what model Catalina do you have? It looks like after a quick search, your truck has a towing capacity of anywhere from 9100-9400lbs. This would pull the weight of the trailer most likely fine but, depending on how many people are in your truck, it would have a limited payload.

Let us know how you usually camp in terms of how many people are your truck, etc.

I'm sure your truck would handle the weight but, full tank of gas, full cab of family, firewood, etc in the bed of the truck you'll be close if not over on the payload.

With that being said, it's easy to get a multitude of opinions here and I'm sure that's what you'll get.

I would say, you'll be close on payload but, ok on the weight of the trailer being towed. With that being said, certainly post what model Catalina you have. Also, you'll want to be sure you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control. You'll also want to add on a set of Load Range E tires on the truck if you don't have LT tires on the truck already. This will take away alot of the spongy feeling while towing on P-rated tires.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

It's a Coachman Catalina 303qbs. There will be four of us in the truck, about 580 lb. Between all of us. I do have a wd hitch. This is our first camper and I have read a lot of different information about the towing capability of the truck but the payload has me nervous. I added on coil over shocks but I'm not sure if that will make much difference, just did that and have not had a chance to test it out.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Basically here is what I see.... you have a tow vehicle, you have a trailer. You can hook up and see how it goes or you can hook up, take it to the scales and see where you land. Then it's up to you what to do with your numbers. I always recommend weighing. This allows you to know exactly where you stand on weights. You can also adjust your wdh to the best position based on weights (ideally you want front axle as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier).

If you choose to weigh (recommended), go to CAT Scale and find a scale close to you. You will want truck and tt loaded with a full tank of gas plus all passengers, pets, gear, etc you plan to have camping (you can skip food for this purpose). Do 3 passes (you will need something with a long handle to reach the buttons). Pass #1- just tv no tt. Put front axle on scale pad number one and rear axle on scale pad number two. Pass #2- tv plus tt no wdh. Tv as on pass number one, tt has both axles on scale pad number 3. Pass #3- tv plus tt with wdh hooked up.

Now let's look at these numbers. Pass #1 Front axle weight plus rear axle weight = total truck weight. Gross rear axle weight - actual rear axle weight= room available on rear axle for tongue weight post wdh. Truck gcwr - truck total weight= adjusted towing capacity (what YOUR specific truck with occupants can tow). Truck GVWR - truck total weight= available payload (how much weight including tongue weight your truck can handle once occupants accounted for).
Your trailer weights should be under all of these numbers.

Pass #2 take the total weight of truck plus tt and subtract total truck weight from pass #1. This gives you the loaded trailer weight (usually 1000-1500 lbs heavier than dry weight). Take the weights of the truck front and rear axles from pass 2 add them together and subtract that number from total truck weight in pass number 1 to get your loaded tongue weight (should be 13-15% of loaded tt weight).

Pass #3 will tell you if you are within all axle weights and truck weights. Also using pass #1, you can see if your wdh needs adjusting.

If you only have a deposit on the tt and do not own it yet, then get your truck weighed asap to see where you stand. Remember you won't be towing an empty or dry tt. I usually advocate doing calculations from trailer gvwr but if you want an average, most people add 1000-1500 lbs of gear and stuff etc to a tt dry weight. Then figure 13-15% of that weight for your loaded tongue weight. Are you within specs? You can now tell us. Good luck.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Looking the tt up, it looks like 6600 lbs is dry weight. You can figure that will likely weigh 7600-8100 lbs loaded. That means an approximate tongue weight of 988-1215 lbs.

1600 lb payload - 580- weight of any gear in bed of truck- weight of added on coil springs (any added component adds weight to truck and does not increase payload). You may well be over on payload.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #6

Same comments of Asquared, the dry weight of the trailer is 6600lbs, so you will be in the 8000lb range. You figure a rough estimate of 8000lbs loaded and take about 12-13% of that in tongue weight. It's probably 1000lbs just in tongue weight, add in the 580lbs of passengers full tank of gas, anything in the bed of the truck and also your coil overs and you are probably over the payload for sure.

I would make sure your WD hitch is setup properly, don't necessarily go with how the dealer set it up. They can be and are often wrong even though you'd think the opposite. Take it out and see how it feels.

You are probably most certainly over on payload but, under in the trailer weight of the truck's capacity. This is most common that people use up the payload first most of the time not even realizing it.

It also comes down to a few other things and that's for you to decide. A big thing is one's towing abilities. I've been driving large vehicles since I was a teenager and I've very comfortable myself towing a large travel trailer. You may be in the same situation where you feel comfortable towing with your setup.

Others on this forum might feel opposite and stay as far away from someone towing this trailer with your setup as possible.

I'd personally take it to get weighed so you know where you are at for sure. Then at the same time get a feel for how it tows and if you feel comfortable with it, then you'll need to make your own decisions from there.

There are people towing over the payload, some know and some don't know. Some people think they are fine towing it because there dealer said so and don't even bother to look at numbers. Then there are people that think you'll need a 1 ton dually diesel or you shouldn't be towing anything.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

you will likely be over on payload, that's before you account for all the stuff that ends up in the truck bed. Firewood, bikes, grill, etc.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

Everyone is gonna tell you to follow by the book. Personally I think with your set up as long as you are smart about it and use common sense about speed and patience you will be fine. If you are like me and don't need nor want a bigger truck for the amount you tow it doesn't make sense to get one. My truck is my daily driver and I tow about 6-10 times a summer all within 3 hours of my home. My 1/2 ton is at max payload but not over max tow. Truck handles my toy hauler fine and never once have felt out of control or scared.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely gives me the info I need to go forward. Just starting camping so I want to make sure I'm doing everything properly.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Site Team

tow vehicle

With all due respect, I will point out that some of the helpful information you receive here does not apply to everyone's situation. Not all of us haul bikes, firewood, grills, 4 Rottweilers in our trucks. I read on one RV forum (here?) that people carry an average of 1000 pounds of tools in their trucks when they tow! Er... uh... not true with me.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The available payload figure posted on the door jamb of a truck, accounts for the weight of the truck with full fluids. The weight of fuel in your tank should not be subtracted from your available payload as some have mentioned.

EDIT: "unless stated otherwise on the sticker"
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
With all due respect, I will point out that some of the helpful information you receive here does not apply to everyone's situation. Not all of us haul bikes, firewood, grills, 4 Rottweilers in our trucks. I read on one RV forum (here?) that people carry an average of 1000 pounds of tools in their trucks when they tow! Er... uh... not true with me.

Sent (I think)
was just pointing out that stuff in bed, whatever it is, needs to be included in the payload figuring. I've seen some people look like they are trying to move their entire house contents in one truck load, then hook up camper.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Sent (I think)
This is why weighing your rig yourself is important. The numbers given for stuff added is an average. Some will load lighter, some will load heavier. It is eventually up to the OP to decide whether he is within specs for his truck or not. It is also up to the OP to decide whether he wants to haul at or over max if he is at or over max. Advice given is typically based on experience. My experience with a family of 3 plus one dog, no bikes, a few tools and a little wood added 1300 lbs to our old tt. Your experience has you adding even less.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Advice given is typically based on experience. My experience with a family of 3 plus one dog, no bikes, a few tools and a little wood added 1300 lbs to our old tt. Your experience has you adding even less.
Experience is certainly a factor... but whose experience says the average person carries 1000 lbs. of tools (hammers, wrenches, saws) not to include family, dogs, bikes, wood? This must mean some are hauling 1960 lbs. of TOOLS to average against my 40 lbs. My point is that a member should not tell a person looking for a TV that it is a given said person will haul 1000 lbs. of tools. Also, I wasn't talking about weight added to a TT but to a tow vehicle.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Experience is certainly a factor... but whose experience says the average person carries 1000 lbs. of tools (hammers, wrenches, saws) not to include family, dogs, bikes, wood? This must mean some are hauling 1960 lbs. of TOOLS to average against my 40 lbs. My point is that a member should not tell a person looking for a TV that it is a given said person will haul 1000 lbs. of tools. Also, I wasn't talking about weight added to a TT but to a tow vehicle.
I never said just tools. I said passengers, pets, plus any gear in truck. I also never said that is 1000 lbs. I said on average (some more, some less that is what an average is) people will add 1000-1500 lbs of stuff to their trailer. Where this comes into play is it increases trailer weight. Anything forward of the axles in the trailer increases tongue weight. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded trailer weight. Since tongue weight becomes weight added to the truck it must be factored into payload. These figures are intended to help the OP understand what a realistic weight might be.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I never said just tools. I said passengers, pets, plus any gear in truck. I also never said that is 1000 lbs. I said on average (some more, some less that is what an average is) people will add 1000-1500 lbs of stuff to their trailer. Where this comes into play is it increases trailer weight. Anything forward of the axles in the trailer increases tongue weight. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded trailer weight. Since tongue weight becomes weight added to the truck it must be factored into payload. These figures are intended to help the OP understand what a realistic weight might be.
If you will read my original post regarding 1000 lbs. of tools, you'll see I wasn't talking about you. You wrote "I never said just tools." I didn't say YOU did. I'm sorry if you transferred those comments to yourself.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you will read my original post regarding 1000 lbs. of tools, you'll see I wasn't talking about you. You wrote "I never said just tools." I didn't say YOU did. I'm sorry if you transferred those comments to yourself.

Now I caught it. I think we are actually kind of on the same page just different paragraphs of the same page.

Tags
tow vehicle

« Flat towing | FR3 »