Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Enjoy that new truck!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #42

So the truck I'm looking at has a 4705 lbs payload rating. Its a 2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Dually with the Duramax plus PKG and most of the bells and whistles.

GMS price is $60693.23
MSRP is $67693.23

I qualify for GMS so now I have to work TRADE details. Black book has my truck listed at 46-50K for a trade if I can get 48K that will give about 14-15K to put down on it. Goal is to not have an increase in payment by more then $50

Going to run by there sometime today.

Mike
mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
At least his trucks not looking like this slightly overloaded F250.Attachment 172666

Disaster waiting to happen
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblack22 View Post
I am literally stunned with some of these responses. Absolutely zero regard for life apparently [emoji17]

It amazes me what some folks use as tow vehicles. Sad part is they have no problem justifying it at the expense of their safety and that of others on the road.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
So the truck I'm looking at has a 4705 lbs payload rating. Its a 2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Dually with the Duramax plus PKG and most of the bells and whistles.

GMS price is $60693.23
MSRP is $67693.23

I qualify for GMS so now I have to work TRADE details. Black book has my truck listed at 46-50K for a trade if I can get 48K that will give about 14-15K to put down on it. Goal is to not have an increase in payment by more then $50

Going to run by there sometime today.

Mike
Looks like it would be a good match for your 5er, good luck!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #46

So I contacted a good friend that used to work in my local Chevrolet Dealer. the dealership was sold and he moved back to Tulsa.

He's at a Chevy dealership their and he shot me a price on an LTZ they have that's MSRP at 70k less my trade 48k (payoff of 34K) leaves me at 14K to put down and GMS pricing is 62K -14k down. financing 48, 500. Hell switch the hitch, and tint the windows at no charge. Its white, loaded with all accessories. At that price its a contender.

Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #47

Quote:
So I contacted a good friend that used to work in my local Chevrolet Dealer. the dealership was sold and he moved back to Tulsa.

He's at a Chevy dealership their and he shot me a price on an LTZ they have that's MSRP at 70k less my trade 48k (payoff of 34K) leaves me at 14K to put down and GMS pricing is 62K -14k down. financing 48, 500. Hell switch the hitch, and tint the windows at no charge. Its white, loaded with all accessories. At that price its a contender.

Mike

Git R Done
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #48

Quote:

Mike
A very wise and safe decision !
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Mechanics will tell you suspension modifications do not increase your payload. If you put or pull more that the sticker on the truck you void your warranty.
Yes it will stop the bouncing and level out the load .
Dealer once tried pushing me into a 3500 single axle with payload lower than I needed. He advised air bags, the mechanic at the dealership told the sale guy it voids the truck warranty and creates safety issues if I towed something higher than advised by the manufacturer sticker.
Match the truck to the load.
My gm mechanic did say adding leaf springs to my truck will increase the payload. But that is truck specific bc mine is no different in powertrain then the 3500, obviously you cant add leads to a 1500 to make it the same as a 3500. Yes it will void the suspension warrant. But installing my fifth wheel hitch and drilling holes through my bed also voided my corrosion warranty. Anything added to your truck, if not installed at the factory or the dealer, voids something.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
My gm mechanic did say adding leaf springs to my truck will increase the payload. But that is truck specific bc mine is no different in powertrain then the 3500, obviously you cant add leads to a 1500 to make it the same as a 3500. Yes it will void the suspension warrant. But installing my fifth wheel hitch and drilling holes through my bed also voided my corrosion warranty. Anything added to your truck, if not installed at the factory or the dealer, voids something.
Would the added leaf springs take the payload above the tire rating? If so, that would be a false narrative. If not, your GM mechanic would be correct. To increase payload you MUST address the weakest link, ALWAYS.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #51

Tow Vehicle suspension upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Would the added leaf springs take the payload above the tire rating? If so, that would be a false narrative. If not, your GM mechanic would be correct. To increase payload you MUST address the weakest link, ALWAYS.
Both of these statements are false. You cannot legally increase the payload capacity of a vehicle by replacing parts. Period. It doesn’t matter how you do it, it cannot be done. The only way to do this is by having the work done by a coach builder legally able to recertify the vehicle for the higher GVWR.

It doesn’t matter if the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is the springs. You cannot legally replace the springs and have the capacity of a 3500. Suggesting otherwise is irresponsible and false.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #52

So I hope to pick the dually up tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the resolution to my Anderson hitch switch, something about liability ( I'd sign a waiver if they let me). The dealership already tinted the windows, put in the bed liner and installed the 7 pin connection in the bed. I'm Somewhat concerned about the length of the truck and it being a dually and my Dailey driver. I know it wont fit in the garage. But I will feel safe

I also contacted Forrest river and they confirmed my concern about being overweight by the VIN on the trailer.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #53

Quote:
So I hope to pick the dually up tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the resolution to my Anderson hitch switch, something about liability ( I'd sign a waiver if they let me). The dealership already tinted the windows, put in the bed liner and installed the 7 pin connection in the bed. I'm Somewhat concerned about the length of the truck and it being a dually and my Dailey driver. I know it wont fit in the garage. But I will feel safe

I also contacted Forrest river and they confirmed my concern about being overweight by the VIN on the trailer.

Lord I wish I could talk DW into letting me buy a dually, I wish I wasn’t a wimp
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #54

Quote:

Sorry to hear you had to upgrade trucks . I wish I could buy your old one .lol.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #55

you will get used to the dually remember the rear fenders are no wider that your mirrors
if you got the 8 ft bed you will get used to the length
good luck and safe travels

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Lord I wish I could talk DW into letting me buy a dually, I wish I wasn’t a wimp
I didn't really want to get rid of my 2500, but when I mentioned safety and started really looking into it, I mentioned it to the DW and she said get what you need. So I'm getting.

Mike
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
you will get used to the dually remember the rear fenders are no wider that your mirrors
if you got the 8 ft bed you will get used to the length
good luck and safe travels
Thanks for the well wishes! it'll take some getting used to but in the long run I think it will be beneficial!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Sorry to hear you had to upgrade trucks . I wish I could buy your old one .lol.
The truck I'm trading in is a beast, I've done a ton of upgrades to include the amp board, but it just doesn't have the payload I need to be safe. I've heard that with the dually, the trailer with be more stable in crosswinds, of course I don't have any experience with the dually so time will tell.
'
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #59
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Both of these statements are false. You cannot legally increase the payload capacity of a vehicle by replacing parts. Period. It doesn’t matter how you do it, it cannot be done. The only way to do this is by having the work done by a coach builder legally able to recertify the vehicle for the higher GVWR.

It doesn’t matter if the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is the springs. You cannot legally replace the springs and have the capacity of a 3500. Suggesting otherwise is irresponsible and false.
Actually....both statements are true. You even state as such with the statement that it must be done by a builder that can legally re-certify the truck. If I add a leaf spring myself then I have increased the "mechanical" payload but not the LEGAL payload.

"LEGAL" is the keyword here of course. This is not a "Backyard DIY" project, it must be done by someone that can legally change the certification. Probably at that point it would be cheaper to just replace the truck which is what the OP is doing!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Actually....both statements are true. You even state as such with the statement that it must be done by a builder that can legally re-certify the truck. If I add a leaf spring myself then I have increased the "mechanical" payload but not the LEGAL payload.

"LEGAL" is the keyword here of course. This is not a "Backyard DIY" project.
You're arguing semantics.

Can the dealer install parts to increase the legal, certified payload? No.
Can you install parts to increase the legal, certified payload? No.

Multiple people in this thread have falsely suggested that parts can be thrown at the payload problem and everything will be just fine. The point is that is false. Finding a coach builder that is able to make these changes and recertify the vehicle with the new weights isn't going to be easy or cheap. It will be cheaper to trade the wrong truck for a proper truck.

Lending credence to what the previous posters have incorrectly stated due to not qualifying HOW to legally do it does not help anyone, which is why people just generally say "No, you really cannot do that."

Tags
suspension, tow vehicle, upgrade