Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #61
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You're arguing semantics.

Can the dealer install parts to increase the legal, certified payload? No.
Can you install parts to increase the legal, certified payload? No.

Multiple people in this thread have falsely suggested that parts can be thrown at the payload problem and everything will be just fine. The point is that is false. Finding a coach builder that is able to make these changes and recertify the vehicle with the new weights isn't going to be easy or cheap. It will be cheaper to trade the wrong truck for a proper truck.

Lending credence to what the previous posters have incorrectly stated due to not qualifying HOW to legally do it does not help anyone, which is why people just generally say "No, you really cannot do that."
We are saying the same thing and yes it is semantics....I was just pointing out what you had already stated, that it can be done legally...albeit expensively.
Telling people "no" doesn't help them if it "can" be done. Educate them how to do it legally and then let them make the decision to LEGALLY upgrade the truck or replace it. Peace out!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
Copied from GM Sight.

Year 2015, model:High Country, Engineuramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8

Max Towing Capacity: 17,900 lbs
Max Payload: 3,501 lbs
Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 10,000 lbs

sticker in the glove box state max payload 1498 lbs looks like I need to start looking for a dually. I had no idea
A reputable trailer dealer would have known and told you. That sucks...
Gun guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #63

The only way I know how to increase your payload is to subtract things.......like different rims that weight less - half tank of gas -18 gallons in a 36 gallon tank would be like 114 pounds - take out the back seat, lol and so on!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I’m a poor one to say this but you are overloaded. You are pulling a three axle trailer with a 2500 Silverado, you need a dually to pull that trailer and a long bed.
I agree with this guy.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlindsay View Post
I agree with this guy.
so did I, hence my new purchase

I really wanted the TT that we purchased, didn't know all that I know now. In the end the only I would have done different is, I would have bought the right truck first.

MIke
mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #66

Quote:
so did I, hence my new purchase

I really wanted the TT that we purchased, didn't know all that I know now. In the end the only I would have done different is, I would have bought the right truck first.

MIke
Kind of like my experience. I am with in my limits but i wish i had a 3/4 ton. Bought a new truck that i liked and a few months later the wife says lets get a camper. Looked at a few and really liked the one we got. But it is pushing the limits close. Wish we would have went camper shopping before the truck shopping. I guess now i have a reason for a new truck again, haha.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:14 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeeley View Post
Is it me or does that max payload seem low for a 3/4 ton diesel? My F150 has a max payload of 1687 lbs, would have thought the GM 3/4 ton would be more. I understand all the bells and whistles eating up payload but dang!
I have 2 co-workers with late model f250 platinum's, both payload weights are less then mine. They were both shocked. Can't recall exact number but it was less then 2000 lbs.

Mike
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #68

Picked up the 2018 Silverado 1 ton today, She don't have all the bells and whistles that my 2500 high country had but its close. No more suspension upgrade question.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Picked up the 2018 Silverado 1 ton today, She don't have all the bells and whistles that my 2500 high country had but its close. No more suspension upgrade question.

Great looking truck, congrats! Let us know how it tows.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #70

Quote:

That’s a good looking truck. I hope all your camping trips are fun. New truck, new camper, wow wish it was me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #71

Quote:
I’m a poor one to say this but you are overloaded. You are pulling a three axle trailer with a 2500 Silverado, you need a dually to pull that trailer and a long bed.
No offense, but I could run out tomorrow to a local campground that wife and I drove thru on Tuesday and probably post at least a dozen triple axle trailers being towed by 2500 Chevy and Dodges and some 250 Fords and not a one will be a dually. I see it all the time at the CG's we stay at thru the summer.
Or do what a lot of people out here talk about....run the rig loaded thru a CAT scale and see where you're at....and go from there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
No offense, but I could run out tomorrow to a local campground that wife and I drove thru on Tuesday and probably post at least a dozen triple axle trailers being towed by 2500 Chevy and Dodges and some 250 Fords and not a one will be a dually. I see it all the time at the CG's we stay at thru the summer.
Or do what a lot of people out here talk about....run the rig loaded thru a CAT scale and see where you're at....and go from there.

Just because people do something doesn’t make it OK or right so I’m not sure what your point is other than saying how many unsafe loads there are out on the road. I would agree with that and it’s scary.

But let’s not hint at something like “look at all the people doing it so it must not be a big deal.” That’s not a responsible attitude to have.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Just because people do something doesn’t make it OK or right so I’m not sure what your point is other than saying how many unsafe loads there are out on the road. I would agree with that and it’s scary.

But let’s not hint at something like “look at all the people doing it so it must not be a big deal.” That’s not a responsible attitude to have.
My point is simple. It's being done, it's being done a lot and none of these people are having issues with it. Some were local trailers, but majority were out of state, from MN. to New Mexico (two of the plates I noticed). So in a sense...it can be done.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #74

Quote:
My point is simple. It's being done, it's being done a lot and none of these people are having issues with it. Some were local trailers, but majority were out of state, from MN. to New Mexico (two of the plates I noticed). So in a sense...it can be done.

Yup, and people can smoke crack without dying. Suggesting that because they don’t die that it must be safe is nonsense.

Let’s not go down the road of trying to justify towing overloaded, that’s not productive or reasonable. I don’t care how many people may be doing it that have been lucky.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #75

Quote:

I told the op my opinion, I see trucks overloaded in every campground I go to. I’m not riding with any of them so I could really care less. We are all camping and having fun. I imagine there is a lot of commercial trucks on the road that is overloaded and the only time I worry about them is when they pass me.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #76
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Yup...

I've been seeing more and more big 5'vers being pulled by way underrated trucks.

Just pulled from Yuma to Huachuca City AZ yesterday and was not disappointed!

Heck, even my neighbor at the RV park I'm in right now is pulling a huge 5'ver with a Dodge Ram 2500 that should be pulled with a dually at minimum.

Both are pretty new...

At least it is a diesel...right?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #77

Quote:
I told the op my opinion, I see trucks overloaded in every campground I go to. I’m not riding with any of them so I could really care less. We are all camping and having fun. I imagine there is a lot of commercial trucks on the road that is overloaded and the only time I worry about them is when they pass me.
And the OP appreciates your candor! Sad thing is Dealers are selling them and don't give a &@#! if the truck can handle it. I told my dealer and their response was, what do you want me to do?

Sad thing is I am in a place that I didn't blink an eye and went out an bought the right truck for the job. Many out there can't. Dealers should be held accountable!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #78

AirBags

I installed the Firestone airbags on my 2014 F250. Worked great and they install in about 2-1/2 hours. No drilling at all. Well worth the money.
mike1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #79

Firestone airbags work great and easy to install
mike1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #80

Quote:
Yes, I also see them. Heaven help them when they are overloaded on that rear axle and the only thing between them and the bottom of a ravine on Interstate 70 west of Denver on one of those 45 mile an hour curves at a 6% grade, is one tire that is also overloaded.
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, tow vehicle, upgrade