Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Rather than can you tow it, you should be asking can you stop it quickly in an emergency?
Good point. Though with correctly functioning trailer brakes, I'd think that as long as you stay within the manufacturers published weights for the truck you should be good, right?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Good point. Though with correctly functioning trailer brakes, I'd think that as long as you stay within the manufacturers published weights for the truck you should be good, right?
Yes, stay within your specifications and you're fine.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #23

OK since the weight police are giving you a hard time, I'm gonna chime in. This was my trailer and I towed it with a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.0 vortec max with a 3.73 gear ratio, I towed it up and down 1804 many times every season, took it to Ft. Stevenson and to Grahams Island several times with no issues. Watch your speed 55mph on 1804 and between 60 and 65 on Highway 2. You should be fine. Also we used left and right sway control with all the truck traffic around here.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
OK since the weight police are giving you a hard time, I'm gonna chime in. This was my trailer and I towed it with a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 6.0 vortec max with a 3.73 gear ratio, I towed it up and down 1804 many times every season, took it to Ft. Stevenson and to Grahams Island several times with no issues. Watch your speed 55mph on 1804 and between 60 and 65 on Highway 2. You should be fine. Also we used left and right sway control with all the truck traffic around here.
First let me say Im not a member of any "weight police". What I am is a professional Helicopter Pilot. As such I deal with weight and balance issues all day every day.

The manufacturers of your vehicle listed a Max GVWR for a reason. That reason is the safety of the persons in the towing vehicle they produced as well as all the other persons on the road near their vehicle while it is on the road.

If you exceed the weight limitations, you will be able to get away with it, Im sure. BUT, just like the helicopters I fly, if an emergency situation arises you will be in a much poorer position to get yourself out of trouble.

Personally I detest the phrase, "You should be fine." as it relates to my safety and my life. After all, you are betting your very life when you overload any vehicle or flying machine.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 05-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
First let me say Im not a member of any "weight police". What I am is a professional Helicopter Pilot. As such I deal with weight and balance issues all day every day.

The manufacturers of your vehicle listed a Max GVWR for a reason. That reason is the safety of the persons in the towing vehicle they produced as well as all the other persons on the road near their vehicle while it is on the road.

If you exceed the weight limitations, you will be able to get away with it, Im sure. BUT, just like the helicopters I fly, if an emergency situation arises you will be in a much poorer position to get yourself out of trouble.

Personally I detest the phrase, "You should be fine." as it relates to my safety and my life. After all, you are betting your very life when you overload any vehicle or flying machine.

Just my 2 cents worth
Yes! Youroo!!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #26

Towing that unit with a "UNMODIFIED 1/2 Ton" is No Fun! We have a F/K V-Lite as ask about by the OP! Even with a 2500HD you still need and Want WD and S/C as well as LR E Tires on TV! I have never seen a Post asking "Is My 3/4 Ton Tow Vehicle Too MUCH for my TT"! Youroo!!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Just my 2 cents worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes! Youroo!!
X3!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #28

I'm sure that the truck is more than capable. Ask your insurance agent if you are covered if you truck is over the GVWR sticker on the door. That may answer your question.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #29

Without knowing ur payload, we cant tell if the truck is capable to tow this......So please post ur payload!!!!!

My guess is ur over and you shouldn't tow it but we will see!!!!!

I've read posts on a Ford forum that a Ford Raptor can pull a house - but in the real world it should not because the payload on most Raptor is around 1100 - which is just enough for four - five big guys in the Raptor ONLY!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #30

I think something to keep in mind also, is even though your truck may be capable, are you comfortable with it? Meaning, how much experience do you have with hauling a trailer? I'm not assuming that you are not experienced, but it's something to keep in mind. In emergency stops, heavy downpours, fast flow traffic, snow/ice...etc experience trumps everything. I was returning our TT to our storage yard a few weeks ago and noticed the owner was with a new customer who was trying to back in his new 5th wheel into a spot (open lot with nothing around) and just could not get it backed in. I helped the guy out, but encouraged him to spend some time in an empty parking somewhere at some point soon and just practice backing in and getting a feel for the trailer. My point is, make sure no matter what your truck is capable of, YOU are comfortable also.
pbrown1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #31

I love my combo and tow about 1500 pounds less than OP is wanting to. On one hand, I couldn't ask for anything more, but on the other, I'd move up in truck at the OP's weight.

My opinion has less to do with the trucks capabilities and more to do with my personal comfort level. Many have the 80% rule, but I like it closer to 60% (which is where I am).

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown1988 View Post
... experience trumps everything. ...
In some circumstances perhaps.

If you are trying to pull a 5'er with a Yugo, no amount of experience makes it safe. I guess a lot of "can I pull it?" scenarios fall into this category.

If you know (for example) that your 3/4 ton is the same as the 1 ton except for the badge (not always the case!), then that's a different story. Someone with that level of knowledge probably knows what she's about and wouldn't be seeking forum opinions in the first place.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #33

The forum is a great place for folks that don't have the experience and should ask questions the sales person might not know or be willing to loose a sale over truthfully answering.

I'm a firm believer if you haven't towed a trailer you should rent a small trash trailer/uhaul and practice backing into parking stalls (empty lot) and in a straight line between cones. The lessons learned with the short trailer will make the larger TT a piece of cake.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The forum is a great place for folks that don't have the experience and should ask questions the sales person might not know or be willing to loose a sale over truthfully answering.

I'm a firm believer if you haven't towed a trailer you should rent a small trash trailer/uhaul and practice backing into parking stalls (empty lot) and in a straight line between cones. The lessons learned with the short trailer will make the larger TT a piece of cake.
One of the reasons I love this forum is the wealth of experience here. Pretty much any upgrade I've considered, someone has done and posted about their experience.

Thank you all for sharing! I'm always learning something here and I'm grateful for it.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #35

If you try pulling a 5th wheel with a Yugo, you have no experience with a trailer, supporting my comment of experience trumps everything. My point was, with truck capability set aside (and I do not advocate towing more than factory specs allow) if you do not feel comfortable, it doesn't matter what your truck can do. I see it all too often, people buying bigger than they are comfortable with because John Doe at the dealer told them they will have no issues.

I do not want this to sound negative, I encourage people to get out there and camp and have a great time.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown1988 View Post
If you try pulling a 5th wheel with a Yugo, you have no experience with a trailer, supporting my comment of experience trumps everything. My point was, with truck capability set aside (and I do not advocate towing more than factory specs allow) if you do not feel comfortable, it doesn't matter what your truck can do. I see it all too often, people buying bigger than they are comfortable with because John Doe at the dealer told them they will have no issues.

I do not want this to sound negative, I encourage people to get out there and camp and have a great time.
Ah I get ya now! I misinterpreted what you posted before.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post

I ran a Campground for 20 years. I lost count how many trailers I backed in for the Campers. If you can't back it up you shouldn't be driving forward.
I like your idea on learning on a short one first. We all know the longer the easier.
Handy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #38

I'm not sure what backing up has to do with anything. I'd just never towed anything that close to that heavy with my f150, and wondered what other people were doing out there.

Anyways, the combo pulls fine and is stable. We did trade the f150 in for a ram 2500. My wife doesn't really have any towing experience at all, and couldn't get over the light front end feeling with the f150. The 2500 is much more comfortable for her (and me).
tcburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcburch View Post
I'm not sure what backing up has to do with anything. I'd just never towed anything that close to that heavy with my f150, and wondered what other people were doing out there.

Anyways, the combo pulls fine and is stable. We did trade the f150 in for a ram 2500. My wife doesn't really have any towing experience at all, and couldn't get over the light front end feeling with the f150. The 2500 is much more comfortable for her (and me).
Well congrats on the purchases! Sounds like you made a wise decision, I've never heard anyone complain that they've had too much truck to haul their camper!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcburch View Post

Hmm. Did you have a weight distribution hitch?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, towing