Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Towing 5r without the tailgate?

I did a search and did not find any discussion regarding leaving the TV tailgate home when towing.
This makes sense to me for two reasons - weight & convenience when hitching, plus it's very easy to remove and install when needed.
There's much discussion about possible increased fuel mileage due to reduced drag, which is not a factor as far as I can see.
I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Always Learning

I think this is as much as personal preference as anything. We have a roll-top Retrax Pro cover. Once we get to where we're going, we use the truck bed like a car trunk. Not having the tailgate would be a detriment to that.

As well, we keep our sewer tubes back there right now while towing. The tail gate helps keep them in place.

Finally, I'm back and forth from the truck cab to the camper/pin a couple of times anyway. I haven't ever found that the tailgate was a problem.

Now, at home when we park on the street and make it look like the camper is hitched (to skirt the county laws here), it's a hassle and a V-gate would be nice. Problem is, I really like my backup camera in the tailgate.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you leave anything in your pickup bed while towing a 5th wheel that doesn't have any weight to it will disappear out the back.

My son unbeknownst to me stowed his open duffle bag in the bed once.
It was half empty 10 miles away when I seen a shoe exit stage right.

I purchased an open v tailgate and the sucktion has been all but eliminated.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

In the winter I have a Camper shell, summer bed cover, if for some reason the bed is exposed I see a mileage drop no idea if running with the tailgate removed would help while towing, but not towing their is a diff. But I like my stuff covered and out of prying eyes

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As far as improvement in fuel mileage I wouldn't expect there to be any change. I used to have a 65 mile round trip to work driving a 1/2 ton and added a tonneau cover, which to me is the same as removing the tailgate and seen only a 0.5 mpg improvement in fuel mileage. You'll see better improvement in mileage by slowing down 5 mph.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Myth Busters busted the removing the tailgate myth along time ago.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Totally a personal preference. Period. As was mentioned above, I also have a bed cover that folds up when towing, and I fold it back down when I unhook so I can use the bed as a trunk. Therefore, I need my tailgate.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Now, at home when we park on the street and make it look like the camper is hitched (to skirt the county laws here), it's a hassle and a V-gate would be nice. Problem is, I really like my backup camera in the tailgate.
I am the same way... While the backup camera doesn't help hitching it's a huge help when in parking lots.

I am hoping to get the best of both worlds. The new 2013 Ram 3500s have a v-notch tailgate that should be usable in my 2012. It also had the integrated backup camera. I am guessing it'll be expensive but worth it for me as this will probably be my last TV.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
I am the same way... While the backup camera doesn't help hitching it's a huge help when in parking lots.

I am hoping to get the best of both worlds. The new 2013 Ram 3500s have a v-notch tailgate that should be usable in my 2012. It also had the integrated backup camera. I am guessing it'll be expensive but worth it for me as this will probably be my last TV.
It all comes down to how expensive, "expensive" is... I thought I read online that factory replacement tailgates were something like $3k.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

So far just leave my tailgate on (6 years with fifth wheels) ..... As has been mentioned before personal opinion mostly but with no tailgate would be a good idea not to carry anything unsecured in the bed.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

It all comes down to how expensive, "expensive" is... I thought I read online that factory replacement tailgates were something like $3k.
Hard to say but I figured somewhere between $2 - $3k. Prolly worth it in the long run for me. They aren't in production yet so it'll be a few months before I need to decide.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Denver, CO

I use a louvered v notch with a tonneau cover and put valuable stuff up in front of the tailgate. Easy and reasonably secure. I also lock everything together as a deterrent.