Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #41

Looking at Gas Buddy and locations around Yellowstone, today's highest price for regular gas today is $3.39.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #42

Depending on which route you take into Yellowstone, you can encounter some very steep passes. That Taco will be going pretty darn slow. We finally upgraded to a v8 diesel and we are actually getting better gas mileage than with the old v8 gasser and we don't even slow down on most passes here in MT. Before, we felt like Fred Flinstone, having to pedal to help the truck get up the hills. Our neighbor just replaced his tranny due to too much weight. A very expensive miscalculation on his part. He also couldn't go anywhere for a couple weeks having it fixed which could cause a very big headache for you out west where towns are far apart and small. Parts and towing units can be very slow getting to you. Be safe out there.
BUCKY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #43
KnP

is up to your truck.

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado with a 3.6 V6 2WD and pulled our Rockwood 2306 through the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado this past winter just fine. Kept at 45 mph all the way to 13,000 ft in elevation and if I punch it, will do 55 mph easy. Also, pulled the camper to Pigeon Forge this past Spring.

Just take it it easy, is not a race. Take your time and easy does it, remember, getting there is half the fun :-)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #44

Well this is an interesting read full of both good and really bad advice.

I lived and worked in Yellowstone for a while. The roads are good but choaked with people, many times so you won’t be gong fast. Most of the time the speed limit is 45mph, though if traffic allows you could go faster.

Anyway your Tacoma is a fine tow vehicle. Well made and reliable. The v6 isn’t the most powerful but it won’t let you down. You will be working it hard a times, but that’s what it’s designed to do, work. Anyway you’ll be fine,

I’ve towed a 21ds into the mountains with an x5 with the 4.8. V8, and it did fine just stay out of over drive.

Btw all this fuel economy “advise” is anacotal at best. It really depends a lot on your trailer...

For what it’s worth my trailer has been towed by a 2018 3.5 eco boost f150, a 2008 BMW X5 4.8i, a 2016 Chevy 2500 duramax, and my current tow vehicle a 2011 X5m. The eco boost and 4.8i tied for worst fuel economy at 8.5mpg on i10. The x5m averages 10.5 and the duramax did 10mpg on the same stretch of i10. All different days weather, drivers, etc. So i think how you drive has as big of an influence as your tow vehicle. The x5m tows the best with the least sway and feeling of being pushed around by the trailer, likely because it has the stiffest suspension,
thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #45

You need a one ton dualy to tow a rowboat!

Yes, many people on this forum will tell you that you cannot tow anything unless your rated towing capacity is about 100 times the weigh of your trailer. I'll tell you that the Tacoma should do ok. It may have to work going uphill.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #46

Ask here:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/towing.34/
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmjwhitaker View Post
Your Tacoma if equipped with the factory tow package is certainly capable of towing a 4000# trailer. I have a 2008 Tacoma w/v8, auto and tow package. It can pull our 2018 Rockwood minilite 2109s (4300#) with no problem under most circumstances. Steep hills, high altitude and strong headwinds will make it difficult to maintain much speed. These conditions will have you in gear 2 or 3 a lot of the time.
Did you mean to say that you have a TUNDRA? You can get a V8 in that.
Tom A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #48

I have a 2014 Tacoma with V6 and tow package. With a 22 foot Salem cruise Lite and steep hills really are hard going. I am also way under the load max. I pack as light as possible in the camper and load correctly. Pack as light as you can and evenly. WDH hitch is strongly advised.
You will also be able to literally watch your gas gauge go down. Quite a sight. Lol. Try to map out gas stations if you can. You will be ok, but you will be slow in the hills. Have a fun and safe trip.
Kevhel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #49

Route to YellowStone.

Best route I've found when towing close to limit is taking I-90 to Livingston, Mt. Then Rte 89 down to Gardiner, Mt. which is at the north entrance to the park. There is a nice campground in Gardiner where you set a little high and look down at the park. It's not unusual for elk to walk thru the campground. Gardiner is a quaint little western town with a couple nice places to eat. Best way to see the park is to rent a Park Guide GPS. It will explain everything as you travel thru the park. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.

RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #50

We have a new Geo Pro tipping the scales at approx 3900# that i planned to tow with my 09 Taco. I did some mods to prepare the truck, ie added summo springs to the rear to handle the tongue weight, and replaced stock mirrors with towing mirrors. Added the Andersen WD hitch and P1 brake controller. I also upgraded the tranny cooler and added a scan gauge so I could monitor temps. We had the tow package from Toyota with a 6400 rating. I was quite pleased with how the truck towed even up long grades in 90d heat.
The crap hit the fan however when I got on the CAT scales and found myself over the trucks gvwr and the max hitch rating, and that was before i added some of other things we travel with like kayaks on the truck roof.
We'll be traveling some 7k miles this summer and I thought it foolish to do that overloaded.
Replaced the taco with an f150 picking up approx 700# of payload plus 600# of hitch capacity.
If you are able to stay within wgts, you will absolutely need to beef up the tranny cooler (assuming you already have the one from Toyota as part of the tow package), and definitely need something to help the rear suspension.
Good luck!
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #51

I own a 2016 2109s.I tow it with a 1996 ford e150 cargo van with 5.8 v8 .The problem is anything west of the Rockies is mountains .I live in central California and you have a 4300’ climb just to get to Los Angeles or an 8000’ climb just to get over the Sierras.If you did very much towing out here with a small truck you will be spending money fixing it .The van has the same trans that Ford used for motor homes and all I do is basic fluid changes .In the summer you can be pulling these hills with 100 degree temps .Not comfortable .Gas mileage is not about engine size .Its about total weight .Next time out I am going to try out my step sons 2016 duramax.In California you see 3/4 trucks every where .We need them to pull hills.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #52

I am towing a Rockwood 2304Ks with a 2013 Takoma 4x4 crew cab with the tow package. The trailer is 4400 pounds dry and 5500 loaded. I have traveled the East Coast Mountains from South Carolina to New Hampshire without any problems. The only time I feel the truck was "over worked" was a 2 mile 18% grade into Ricketts Glenn in Pennsylvania. I did install Timbrens and am using a Reese Dual Cam weight distribution hitch. The truck handles the trailer well. I will agree with others on the forum that a bigger truck would be better but it will do it. I will also agree that you will need to be concerned with gas since it does have a small tank and I normally only get about 10 mpg. With my trailer I also have to be concerned with payload. The only things that go in my truck are the wife and I. With only 1040 payload and 585 of tongue weight plus the hitch you don't have any payload to spare. Put everything in the trailer.
gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Born and raised in Colorado. Never towed there but watched my dad tow sweat bullets. My DW is not eager for me to learn how there. Um, I need a few hundred-thousand tow miles before I will be eager.

X2 on mountain roads.
Common sense is all you need...and inspiration from your Dad.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
"<<SNIP>>

Jimmore13, why show pictures of the Million Dollar Highway? This is in Colorado, no where near Yellowstone. The slopes around Yellowstone are not severe. The Beartooth Highway is not recommended, but it is not a main entrance into the park.
Mostly just to drive you crazy.
That an who says there aren't other plans for the mountains now or in the future?
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
We plan to tow our 21' Minilite out west soon. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Tacoma with a weight distribution system and brake controller. This is our first big trip and we intend to minimize on water when towing and use campground facilities. Trailer come is at around 4 k lbs and the truck has a tow capacity well over that. I'm a bit nervous. Anyone tow with a Taco and that load?
Your 2015 Tacoma is similar to our 2006 Tundra because they upsized the Tacoma in 2007, I think. Of course, ours is a v8, but I think the towing capacity is about the same.

We didn't have any difficulty towing into Yellowstone. Avoiding the traffic and actually finding a place to camp was the difficult part.

Just watch out for the Bison.....
Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #56

Doable with patience. I tow 241QB dry 4400 lbs with 2014 Tacoma Prerunner. Tow in 4th gear at 60mph. Truck rated for 6500 and tho never weighed it, confident well under that ceiling. But i’ll tell you I wish I had more truck and you will too when you get into the winds out west.
Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #57

I have the same trailer. First bought a Taco to pull it. On paper this truck easily works on the numbers. But in actuality, that big ole box behind that little truck is a problem. I worked this the boys at the trailer dealers and the boys at Toyota extensively before buying the Taco..they all said "yep, should work!" For me, it did not work from day one. The wind resistance on the highway is huge! The mirrors are too small. You feel every mile. I loved that little truck but not the tool for the job. Ripped Toyota for not advising me better. Traded up to the tundra. They did me right on the trade. I've crossed the country several times in the last 5 years and have loved every mile. And I get better gas mileage on the tundra pulling than the Taco pulling. If there is a wind advisory day on your trip, might consider just staying put. And don't drive over 60!
Skeetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #58

I also have the same model camper. I think the sticker (GVWR) Gross is something between 4700 and 4800 lb. I've added a receiver hitch to the rear and have a 100 lb rack with a generator, a large plastic box with a coleman stove and shovel, and a 5 gallon bucket with leveling boards. I figure I'm about 5200 lbs.
I've been pulling it with a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. It has the torque and performs OK at highway speeds here in the Eastern US but in July we are also heading to Yellowstone.
The Ecodiesel was an experiment on my part and I'd hoped to see 17 mpg with the camper. Around town I routinely would get 22 mpg and on the road I see 25-27 driving 70 mph but when pulling the camper I get 11-13 mpg.
I have decided to move to a Ram 2500 with the cummins diesel and have ordered one about two months ago. I'm expecting it by the third week in June.
BTW, I removed the entire dinette in my 2109 Mini and replaced it with two recliners and a homebuilt cabinet. "Love it"
champ837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
We plan to tow our 21' Minilite out west soon. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Tacoma with a weight distribution system and brake controller. This is our first big trip and we intend to minimize on water when towing and use campground facilities. Trailer come is at around 4 k lbs and the truck has a tow capacity well over that. I'm a bit nervous. Anyone tow with a Taco and that load?
We had a 21' Microlite that we towed with a 2013 Nissan Frontier. Same hitch and brake setup as yours. The truck pulled it just fine on level and rolling hills, but you will hit some high rpm's going up and down steep inclines. We had this setup for 3 years before moving up to a fifth wheel and bigger truck.

If you remain alert and drive conservatively you should really enjoy your rig.
Anderson Ultimate Fifth-Wheel hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #60

I'm just saying.. I USED to tow with a 2008 Taco but my new Ram 1500 is SO MUCH BETTER! I did one "long" trip (ATL to Hilton Head) but would not do that again in the Taco.
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, towing