Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Towing in the Rain

Any special considerations other than slowing down and taking your time?

Somewhere in Sunny South Carolina.
Apex 268BHS
Chevy Z71 4x4 5.3L with tow package
Captain Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
About half if my trip home from the dealers in Ohio back to Nebraska was in some if the heaviest rain I can recall in my life. Definitely do not use cruise control. And like you said, take it as slow as the weather dictates. I pulled home in 60mph winds with that rain, but needed to get home so just used common sense, took as much time as I could, and continued on. Had the rig felt unsafe, I would have most definitely shut her down.

Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Make sure to keep enough distance for the visibility you have at the time because others will still drive like they are at a NASCAR event!
Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Yeah, that's common sense stuff. But common sense isn't that common any more! I never use cruise control in the rain. I was a police driving instructor for years and we always taught that. If you have it on and hydroplane it's gonna be nasty as you spin out of control and the drive wheels keep spinning. And as you say, leave an extra couple of seconds between you and the other guy and use extra distance for stop time. What about the rig? Anything special? Thanks
Apex 268BHS
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
If you've got your brake controller set properly (just short of lock-up) you may want to dial it back a little bit to avoid lock-up on the slippery, wet roads in the case of an emergency stop.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Apex 268BHS
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
As Dave pointed out about the trailer brakes. The camper is electric brakes and your tow vehicle is hydraulic. Water can effect each vehicle a very differently. If you are pushing down on the pedal you can tell from the response of the truck if the brake pads on the truck are slipping/wet or dried off to make a controlled slow down. This can cause a little concern on what will happen when the electrical pulse activates the trailer brakes. In normal conditions you want the trailer to very slightly engage first before the truck in order to have a straight line controlled slow down. If you are in a heavy rain and feel that the trailer will act in the same way as if drive 'dry', the many bad things can happen and they will happen fast. If the trailer brakes 'dry' faster than the truck brakes you can be thrown around from the front end of the truck as the trailer violently pulls you 'back'. You may end up driving in the ditch or be over in the on coming lane. If you have too little braking from the wet trailer brakes and the truck is slowing down faster than the trailer, the back of the truck will be hit hard with a driving force that will push your back end around and could force you in the ditch or on coming traffic. This will cause a jack knifing effect. Whether to have too much or to little trailer brake, lean to the side of too little with the idea of only depending on doing the stop with the power of the truck. This will cause you to drive slower and keep a longer distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If you are driving from point A to point B and have an idea of how long it will take to get there, add 25% to that time frame.

Also, in driving in the rain, be aware that it is possible for a positive/negative air flow to happen in your camper and rain could be sucked in and get a few things wet. On our older camper a side window became harder to close completely, we also had a front window with a full cover shield. In heavy rains, water was always being sucked up under that 'shield' and through the louvered window and onto our bed. It did not bother me to much as it was on the wife's side .
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
We've driven through about every kind of weather when towing from extreme heavy rain, to extreme winds and blizzard conditions. Heck even a wonderful sunny day can pose challenges, especially when the dog chews up your sunglasses (bloody beagles..).

The truth of the matter is just like when not towing you should always adjust to the conditions around you. I know I am just stating the obvious, but sometimes it needs to be said.

More to the point of your post though, I do sometimes dial back my brake controller a hair in rainy conditions. I also am very careful with baggage doors etc to be sure they are properly latched and closed since spray can easily go right where you don't want it to. That is really about all I do differently.
2015 F-350 SRW 6.7 PSD
2014 Crusader 295RST

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Resident Masshole
Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew
good wipers and tires all the way around should go without saying. no cruise control, extra distance, less speed. dont be that guy we see on a youtube video.

and above all ... run with your lights on!!!! grey and white vehicles tend to disappear in the rain.

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote