Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Towing questions in Pennsylvania

FNG here. I have some questions that I'm drowning in google searches trying to answer. And PA dmv site sucks....
New to the TT world. Previously had a pop up.

Info
TT: 17' Salem 26tbud
TV: 14' Ram 1500 registered class 2.

Questions:
1. Do I need to stop at open weigh stations when driving?

2. The Tbud is around 8k lbs loaded and my ram is capable of towing 10k lbs should I up the class to "3"?

3. Anyone know of a reputable inspection station near the Kennywood area of Pittsburgh?

Thanks
thebdygrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Sounds like your not too far from me, here is what I can help you with.

1. No, when driving a personal vehicle (with your weight setup) not in use for work or profit you do not need to weigh in.

2. "Legally" you need to be registered for your combo weight (they will class you appropriately).

3. I cannot help with this question, maybe someone else will chime in.
pbrown1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #3

I use woltz and wind ford in bridge like for inspection
Bigairh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 AM   #4

I believe a lot of the school bus garages around us do inspections. Way cheaper than the dealers.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebdygrd View Post

3. Anyone know of a reputable inspection station near the Kennywood area of Pittsburgh?
45 minutes from Kennywood in Connellsville...................

Trailer Inspection? Brooks Camper Sales Connellsville PA, you can not beat Eric and his guys, and they are a Salem dealer.

PA General Motor Vehicle Inspection (Or other repairs)? No one more honest and fair with pricing than Hampshire's Garage in Connellsville. Ask for Dale. The only issue may be since it appears your in Allegheny County, you need the emissions inspection, and he does not do those as they are not required in Fayette.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

Correction

Just one correction to how trucks and trailers are registered in PA. The truck is registered by the trucks GVWR and the trailer separately by the same. Please check out the following link for weights and rates for the appropriate class.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...rms/mv-70s.pdf
jgsikorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebdygrd View Post
FNG here. I have some questions that I'm drowning in google searches trying to answer. And PA dmv site sucks....
New to the TT world. Previously had a pop up.

Info
TT: 17' Salem 26tbud
TV: 14' Ram 1500 registered class 2.

Questions:
1. Do I need to stop at open weigh stations when driving?

2. The Tbud is around 8k lbs loaded and my ram is capable of towing 10k lbs should I up the class to "3"?

Thanks
1) No you do not stop at PA weight stations as a personal vehicle, not commercial.

2) The "truck can tow this" is really meaningless. You need to register the truck to carry (as in the truck weights Xlbs) the appropriate weight. So if truck and tongue weight of trailer keep you under 7k lbs then stay class 2. For RV's the trailer is a flat rate, no weight classes, by the GVWR's listed above.

The only time you would register your vehicle in combination is if the GVWR of the truck and GVWR of the trailer put you over 26001lbs. You would do this to avoid the need of a class A or B noncommercial license.

3) Wrong side of the state to help you here.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Interesting... I am supposed to relocate to the Pittsburgh area next year, but along with the crazy taxing that PA has this is just one more reason for me to buy/build a house in Ohio. My truck and trailer are over 26K before I load my hotrod in the trailer.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNiq View Post
Interesting... I am supposed to relocate to the Pittsburgh area next year, but along with the crazy taxing that PA has this is just one more reason for me to buy/build a house in Ohio. My truck and trailer are over 26K before I load my hotrod in the trailer.
What kind of trailer is it? Here you would be considered a motor carrier and possibly a commercial MV depending on whether it is being considered an RV Trailer, then you would be a motor carrier. Either way you would need a class A non commercial license to legally drive the combination of vehicles over 26,001

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
What kind of trailer is it? Here you would be considered a motor carrier and possibly a commercial MV depending on whether it is being considered an RV Trailer, then you would be a motor carrier. Either way you would need a class A non commercial license to legally drive the combination of vehicles over 26,001

Same for Illinois, assuming the trailer GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. (If GCWR is over 26,000 but trailer GVWR is less than 10,000 then a Class B would be required.)

I would imagine most states have different classes of non-CDL, however most folks don't realize it.

I try to explain to friends (including some in the trucking industry) that to drive xyz RV requires Class X non-CDL. Their response is always the same: "RVs are exempt from CDL." They completely miss, and have no idea about, non-CDL classes.

The plain-vanilla license that everyone gets here is "Class D" which is GVWR of 16,000 lbs or less... not include any other class.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

You are getting some great advice here.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Same for Illinois, assuming the trailer GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. (If GCWR is over 26,000 but trailer GVWR is less than 10,000 then a Class B would be required.)

I would imagine most states have different classes of non-CDL, however most folks don't realize it.

I try to explain to friends (including some in the trucking industry) that to drive xyz RV requires Class X non-CDL. Their response is always the same: "RVs are exempt from CDL." They completely miss, and have no idea about, non-CDL classes.

The plain-vanilla license that everyone gets here is "Class D" which is GVWR of 16,000 lbs or less... not include any other class.
Same for PA with the class B. I guess I assumed his trailer was over 10k. But if it is under then a b is required.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #13

ERROR: I apparently misspoke according to the reliable data on the internet. My apologies to those trying to help (where's the egg on face emoji?)

I thought my truck was 13,500, but the internet tells me it is only 10,000.
My trailer is 13,000 empty.
My "in the trailer vehicle" is approximately 5,500

If I believe the internet my empty combined towing weight is 23K. (I swear I saw 13.5 on the sticker!), with truck inside - About 28K.

I've heard of the non-CDLs in other states, but Louisiana does not specify the need for one. Their laws only address the need if you are a commercial driver. I moved to TX a year ago, but with me moving in less than a year and rarely using the combination together, I'm just stalling and pressing my luck.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsikorski View Post
Just one correction to how trucks and trailers are registered in PA. The truck is registered by the trucks GVWR and the trailer separately by the same. Please check out the following link for weights and rates for the appropriate class.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...rms/mv-70s.pdf
Incorrect, the registration for the truck must reflect what you plan on towing also. I know several people who have been fined for this exact reason. DOT actually sets up on a certain road to pull people over for this reason (because they know it gets a ton of truck/trailers).
pbrown1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown1988 View Post
Incorrect, the registration for the truck must reflect what you plan on towing also. I know several people who have been fined for this exact reason. DOT actually sets up on a certain road to pull people over for this reason (because they know it gets a ton of truck/trailers).
This may be true for commercial, but not true for campers.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...rms/MV-70S.pdf

In PA, the truck is registered at its GVWR and the Trailer at its GVWR.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ets/fs-mv1.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	139986  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #16
RetiredRVer

Yep! Build in Ohio.... they don't care about any of this TV + RV nonsense! Just get your towable RV plates, and go camping!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Nice to know what other States charge. In Ontario we pay $20 for the plate for the Trailer no matter what it is. Truck registered at max capacity for $220 per year. The gas taxes pay for roads etc.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Yep! Build in Ohio.... they don't care about any of this TV + RV nonsense! Just get your towable RV plates, and go camping!
LOL.....the only TV+RV nonsense in PA is a result of someone posting something they pulled out of their rear end.

It's really simple. There are 3 trailer weight classes in PA, 3000 lbs and below $6 per year, 3001 to 10000 lbs $12 per year, and 10001 lbs and up at $35 per year based on GVWR. The vehicle doing the pulling has nothing to do with it, as it's registration is based on a different weight classification schedule by GVWR.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
LOL.....the only TV+RV nonsense in PA is a result of someone posting something they pulled out of their rear end.

It's really simple. There are 3 trailer weight classes in PA, 3000 lbs and below $6 per year, 3001 to 10000 lbs $12 per year, and 10001 lbs and up at $35 per year based on GVWR. The vehicle doing the pulling has nothing to do with it, as it's registration is based on a different weight classification schedule by GVWR.
LOL! Ohio has one fee for non-commercial, non-motorized travel trailers/fifth wheels. $24.50 gets everyone their plate. Half ton trucks are licensed as passenger cars.... 3/4 ton and up non-commercial are licensed as trucks. Simple!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

You would be correct, but like I said, depending on the weights you CAN register in combo. But most people don't need to be concerned with that, they just stick to the 3 stage reg for the trailer and the weight classes for the truck.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
pennsylvania, towing