Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Talking Towing Rockwood Mini Lite w/ Chevy Express 1 Ton

We recently purchased the Rockwood Mini Lite - I believe it weighs around 4500 pounds? We have a 2011 Chevy Express passenger van - 1 ton. It tows our boat with no problems.
We noticed 2 things while towing the trailer:
1 - Gas mileage was awful! We haven't actually tracked what we were getting yet, but we watched the gas gauge going down fast!
2 - the towing is a bit jerky.
I am wondering if something needs to be adjusted - we have the sway bar and weight distribution hitch on there. My husband is more technically inclined, but I think those are the main pieces on the trailer hitch - I know that the 2 bars that go on each side of the hitch have a chain that is adjustable - the dealer told us to use the 3 loop hanging rule?
We had noticed jerky braking at first, but that was easily adjusted with the interior brake setting, so it's not the braking that is jerky - it's the ride - especially when we go over small bumps in the road.

randolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Dealers are notorious for not taking the time to setup WDHs correctly. The best thing to do is to get out the WDH instruction manual, and do the fender measurements to set up the hitch yourself.

Gas mileage is going to suffer much more than towing your are pushing aside a lot of air going down the road.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
As already mentioned proper WDH setup is important. It took me a couple of tries adjusting the hitch on our chevy Express 3500. The biggest problem I have is with porpoising over some of the "whoop de dos." I've read that the OEM shocks offer little ride control so next year I plan on going with Bilstein shocks front and rear. Gas mileage while towing our 7000 lb trailer from Colorado to Cali and back averaged 11mpg, this is what I expected. Overall the Express is a much better tow vehicle compared to our suburban that was at it's limit towing our TT in the Colorado mountains.
david1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
I had the same issue with my F150. Changed from P tires to LT tires on the truck and this has greatly improved the ride while towing.
Jay & Maria - Camp Dogs Jackson & Joplin
2015 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald
Hensley Arrow hitch
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
i have a 2013 ram 15oo with hemi 5.7l and 3.9 rear end. i avg 10mpg towing my mini lite and it weighs the same as yours. If in lucky i get 11 but lots of over passes and small hills in my area. As far as ride i have now issue
2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote

rockwood, towing