Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #21

I agree with the OP. We have towed two different trailers with "China bombs" over 20k miles. Never exceed 65 mph, don't tow over curbs, check pressures and weights often, and just use common sense for the road conditions. Never had a flat or a blow out.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I drive in the right unless the truckers have torn it up and the state is too cheap to fix it. If you think I'm gonna stay right and pound my equipment with rough roads for hours on end you've got another thing coming.
don't know why you think I have another thing coming...I wouldn't stay in a torn up lane either....

Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #23

Totally agree with OP. We are on year 4 with the original tires, no problems.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy clancy View Post
On Our first trip of the season to st Augustine fla we took route 26 to I95 and I must say I do not agree with the China bomb tire debate . First off while heading down to sunny fla I always keep my rig at 65 mph regardless of how much power I may have ,the posted speed on my tire rating says 65. With that being said we were passed by many fellow campers exceeding well over 75 mph . When we merged on to I95 in South Carolina I was shocked how terrible the road was, the pounding my tow viechal and trailer were taking was nerve racking to say the least and it wasn't just in South Carolina. We did pass one trailer that had blown by us with two flats and what appeared to be pretty bad side wall damage. I am sure that they will blame the China bomb tires and not their careless driving. On the way home it wasn't much different same scenario but with a 27 mph wind blowing everyone sideways and yet we were passed again by fellow campers just hammering with out any regards to safety ,all for the sake of saving a few minuets. So when I read on here why is my camper falling apart or my axels and bearings are shot or my tires blew cause their made in China I might know why. We made it home with out any issues any I firmly believe it's because of towing with inn my trailers recommend limits .

Clancy vibe272bhs
I would agree with most of the above except when it comes to tires. I had two China bomb tires go on my trip to MI several years ago. When I got home I replaced all with Goodyear tires rated D. Have never had an issue since. When I got my new tt I told them to keep there junk tires and to put on my tires from trade in on my new tt. The wear has been slight and should get another year out of them. I do check tires and bearings every time I stop. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #25

For the record those that speed are not typically doing it to "save a few minutes". I do so cause that's the speed I feel comfortable with. Also, tends to keep you from traveling in packs where most problems occur. That said, I drive my trailer at the speed limit - where I feel comfortable at.
The ones that irritate me are driving side by side for miles. If you're worried about safety why are you stuck beside someone that could veer over into your lane unexpectedly? Slower drivers always say they are doing for safety yet driving beside a semi for miles is way more unsafe than a few miles over the speed limit to get by.
I have yet to have a china bomb syndrome, BTW. Knock on wood!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
For the record those that speed are not typically doing it to "save a few minutes". I do so cause that's the speed I feel comfortable with. Also, tends to keep you from traveling in packs where most problems occur. That said, I drive my trailer at the speed limit - where I feel comfortable at.
The ones that irritate me are driving side by side for miles. If you're worried about safety why are you stuck beside someone that could veer over into your lane unexpectedly? Slower drivers always say they are doing for safety yet driving beside a semi for miles is way more unsafe than a few miles over the speed limit to get by.
I have yet to have a china bomb syndrome, BTW. Knock on wood!
So, you are saying you speed because it's safer????? I travel at 65 and don't stay beside semis. You seem to be trying to state that driving the speed limit is only accomplished if you get right beside a semi and stay there???? And I don't think anyone here is talking about getting up to 70 for 30 seconds to get around a semi. They are talking about the people that have the cruise set on 70+ mph cruising on down the road. And there are a LOT of them.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #27

Like eluded to ... China Bombs have been cussed and discussed at length on about any RV forum every which way. It's interesting to note that for the most part the supporters of China Bombs are towing the lighter trailers ... the owners with say 11K plus trailers simply live on borrowed time no matter what speed nor maintenance schedule they adhere to. I've always had a heavier trailer and experienced the usual tread separation and bulges in the sidwalls within a few thousand miles on my MaraBombs. My trucks "sweet spot" is 63 - 65mph and that is what I tow within. I will now step away from the soap box.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I have hauled rv's steady for the past 11 years. Never travel over 65. I have hauled well over 1000 trailers from Millersburg to just outside Winnipeg. 2 flats....that's it!
I can't say you are in the minority with any accuracy, but I bet you are. When traveling around here you see transport companies running well over the 65 that most of the stock tires are rated at. I have also seen numerous trailers being towed far from level.

I wish I saw more like you.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
don't know why you think I have another thing coming...I wouldn't stay in a torn up lane either....
In the south, "you've got another thing coming" isn't necessarily a phrase being directed at anyone in particular. Just a way of saying "I'm not going to do it." So, I didn't mean you specifically.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #30

Let's see...
Stay in the right lane as much as possible.
Avoid driving between 10 PM and 4 AM.
No Cellphone usage.
Eyes on the road at all times.
Keep your distance with the car in front of you.
I bet these steps improve your safety by 50%..... at 65 or 70 mph!

2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing